• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Deca-Dence?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched nar a minute of this series, so I went into reading this totally vacant. Half way through I stopped reading, scanned the visuals and zipped to the bottom.....**huff**.... Another show to watch...It's being queued. Dang you guys!!!!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I am not sold on the Heybot designs. I don't mind the concept of Gears being avatars and humans not being aware of that - in fact, that's pretty cool. But the fact that the non-avatars are what avatars would normally look like? Eh. Sounds like an idea that came out due to a surplus of ganga in the room at the time.

But please don't get me wrong - I'm loving all the other non-Heybot aspects of this show.

As for any excitement over "corporatist" social commentary? Wow, can you pick a bigger, slower moving target? Not exactly cutting edge, super fresh territory there.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
In Expelled from Paradise the resolution of your avatar and your world was a function of how much you paid --- and low resolution was used when Angela was imprisoned. My theory is that the Heybot world is pretty low-bandwidth, so that's what their world looks like to them.

That (maybe) adds to the pleasure of being a high-ranking Gear: you get a much more vivid world to play in.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
I’m loving the show so far, but it’s contrasting worlds does end up with a disturbing disconnect between Kaburagi—who probably doesn’t feel his “avatar’s” pain, who’s life isn’t at risk fighting monsters, and most disturbingly, who “disposes” of “bugs” without remorse (humans who became aware of their cyborg corporate rights holders? Humans with defective chips? Fellow Gear avatars who don’t follow the rules? We don’t know yet), and the very human Natsume, who’s unaware of the full nature of her world and is very much in physical danger.
ricardocantu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
The cover page description seems to indicate the editors skipped the post-credit sequence in the first episode. Also there is no mention of it in the discussion.

This is when the big reveal actually happens, not episode 2...

Anyway, I'm exited to see where this goes!
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
My biggest disappointing is with the otaku audience.
The first episode was generic. Looked like it would be more of the same, based on trends and styles from other studios. Then this second episode came to show that this will be it’s own thing, that this will be after all something interesting to watch, but when they get something original they end up despising it.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Anneyuno1 wrote:
My biggest disappointing is with the otaku audience.
The first episode was generic. Looked like it would be more of the same, based on trends and styles from other studios. Then this second episode came to show that this will be it’s own thing, that this will be after all something interesting to watch, but when they get something original they end up despising it.

I think the majority of people are happy with the twist, but yeah I saw those people too. Outraged they're getting something fresh and original. But they have a million "ragtag group of heroes fly around killing bigass CG monsters in apocalyptic setting" to fall back on so they can go enjoy that, and we can enjoy this.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I am glad they didn't drop the twist in like the 2nd to last episode, other series would have done that without second thought
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
You nailed why I’m excited about this show. I never post but great conversation, thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1