• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN India Survey

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Feedback and additional thoughts welcome! We'd love to hear from you.
The Anime Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Feedback and additional thoughts welcome! We'd love to hear from you.
Putting this just because I see no activity here. Pretty interesting survey and data, what does ANN exactly plan to use it for ?
Mirchi Seth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:15 am Reply with quote
Glad to see that you guys have started covering anime news in India. The popularity of anime in India blew up almost 100x in 2020. Although am following anime since the early 2000s but the status of anime and its avalability was going down from a long time until the OTT platforms came in.

As for the survery just wanna tell that India doesn't have access to Funimation and only around 100 series are available in Crunchyroll. The biggest sources we have are Netflix, Amazon Prime and TV but the targetted demographic on Indian TV are mostly kids so they only air anime like: Doraemon, Perman, Ninja Hattori and heavily censored version of Crayon Shinchan.

Thank you, and love you all. Very Happy
Rahul Singh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Here's the deal about Indians:

1. Most people here are closet Anime lovers, watching from online free streaming sites
2. Anime/Comic cons happen, but they're so poorly managed. I've attended 4 of them, it's usually filled with people selling chinese toys, printed posters, and anime episodes illegally screened on a projector, that's it. We've had TRIGGER's staff come to India a few times around 2014 but they were so disappointed with Indians, I doubt they're still interested.
3. Anime clubs are a sham here, 'meet ups' involve guys hitting on girls and people hanging out, that's it. No events, nothing more than facebook posts. I was strongly involved in trying to develop a community but it's impossible.
4. Most people don't support anime by buying their merch, there's no sense for anime-based firms to invest here.
5. Kids who watch kids style anime, they watch it on TV, dubbed in the local language. Online content such as ANN, OTT streaming is alien to them.
6. Netflix/Prime is picking up fast in India, best way for Indians to pay for watching anime.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Rahul Singh wrote:

1. Most people here are closet Anime lovers, watching from online free streaming sites
Yeah, the Indian traffic on pirate streaming sites is quite significant.

Quote:

2. Anime/Comic cons happen, but they're so poorly managed. I've attended 4 of them, it's usually filled with people selling chinese toys, printed posters, and anime episodes illegally screened on a projector, that's it.
This is very common outside of major/1st world markets. I was actually surprised at how few bootlegs I saw at Indian conventions. There were plenty, but fewer than I expected. Way, way more licensed material than I expected (I expected about 99% bootleg, it was more like 80%). Which 4 anime cons did you go to?

Quote:
We've had TRIGGER's staff come to India a few times around 2014 but they were so disappointed with Indians, I doubt they're still interested.
Right, I remember that. I'll have to check who went and which conventions and ask them about it if they're someone I know.

Quote:
3. Anime clubs are a sham here, 'meet ups' involve guys hitting on girls and people hanging out, that's it. No events, nothing more than facebook posts. I was strongly involved in trying to develop a community but it's impossible.
Anime clubs are pretty much dead in North America and Europe. Everything is online or at conventions. So it's still really interesting to see how many people (quite a lot) go to anime meetups in India.

Quote:
4. Most people don't support anime by buying their merch, there's no sense for anime-based firms to invest here.
This is probably a financial thing, right ? A 1000 rupee anime figure is pocket change to North American fans who routinely spend upwards of 10,000 INR on figures. I know a lot of Japanese companies are actually paying close attention to India though.

Quote:
5. Kids who watch kids style anime, they watch it on TV, dubbed in the local language. Online content such as ANN, OTT streaming is alien to them.
Pretty normal. The methods of consumption for younger kids are always different, and they aren't into online communities yet.

Quote:
6. Netflix/Prime is picking up fast in India, best way for Indians to pay for watching anime.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Maniac wrote:
Pretty interesting survey and data, what does ANN exactly plan to use it for ?
It's mostly about getting to know our readers and how best to create content for you.
Rahul Singh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Rahul Singh wrote:

Yeah, the Indian traffic on pirate streaming sites is quite significant.

Quote:

2. Anime/Comic cons happen, but they're so poorly managed. I've attended 4 of them, it's usually filled with people selling chinese toys, printed posters, and anime episodes illegally screened on a projector, that's it.
This is very common outside of major/1st world markets. I was actually surprised at how few bootlegs I saw at Indian conventions. There were plenty, but fewer than I expected. Way, way more licensed material than I expected (I expected about 99% bootleg, it was more like 80%). Which 4 anime cons did you go to?

Quote:
We've had TRIGGER's staff come to India a few times around 2014 but they were so disappointed with Indians, I doubt they're still interested.
Right, I remember that. I'll have to check who went and which conventions and ask them about it if they're someone I know.

Quote:
Anime clubs are pretty much dead in North America and Europe. Everything is online or at conventions. So it's still really interesting to see how many people (quite a lot) go to anime meetups in India.

Quote:
This is probably a financial thing, right ? A 1000 rupee anime figure is pocket change to North American fans who routinely spend upwards of 10,000 INR on figures. I know a lot of Japanese companies are actually paying close attention to India though.

Quote:
Pretty normal. The methods of consumption for younger kids are always different, and they aren't into online communities yet.

Quote:

The TRIGGER staff had a guy involved in production of Suisei no Gargantia and Kill la Kill, they basically held an exhibition for these 2 anime here. All of these conventions I attended were in New Delhi. You'll hear better things from parts of India called Shillong and Meghalaya, their Anime Cons have had pretty good stuff, even actual cosplay.
Rahul Singh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:58 am Reply with quote
About Manga, there's no way of people to have physical copies of manga in India, except one. There's this government funded institute called 'Japan Foundation' that's involved in sensitizing people about Japanese culture, also helps in that language certification for Japanese (JLPT), language classes, etc. They have a small library of old manga you can borrow from.

Btw, Japan Foundation also airs old-school Japanese films (not anime) every week for people in their centers. Maybe you could team up with them for something. They have a centre in New Delhi.

Other ways of owning physical copies of manga is import or some small-scale distributor, but they cost so much I don't think anyone buys them.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
Rahul Singh wrote:
About Manga, there's no way of people to have physical copies of manga in India, except one.

Aren't Viz manga widely available in major bookstores throughout major cities in India ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1