• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Pity they never continued the anime. Was quite good.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool! This is one of my favorite anime! Glad to know it's getting a re-release!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
A really underrated anime. Everyone should give it a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
oh, I thought they had already announced this when it was solicited last month. Good show. if I didn't already have the Viz release, I would definitely get this
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Still available is the gorgeous Art Box released by Media Blasters that you can snag for less than $1.50.

Really gotta wonder just how many of these things that they made that they're still available 10 years later being prices at no more than a couple bucks for seemingly forever now.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Moribito-Guardian-of-the-Spirit-Two-Pack-DVD-7-8-Hyb-Artbox
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I have the old DVDs but are the Blu-Rays upscales or actually in HD?

By the way, the live-action show is good. Last I checked the first four episodes are on Amazon Prime with English subs (although categorized out of order). Never understood why Asian Crush (the licensor) never put up the other seasons... or why the official Japanese NHK site is in English.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I think Moribito is going to wind up setting a record for a series handled by the most domestic distributors over its lifetime. Geneon (I think) was initially going to release it until its US branch was shut down, Media Blasters picked it up, Viz had it for a few years, and now Sentai. Regardless, it's a spectacular show. I actually own it twice on Blu-ray, so triple-dip maybe? Laughing
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The live-action adaptation by NHK mentioned in the article is also worth watching. The first four episodes reprise the events in the anime and are available on Amazon Prime. Sadly they are not grouped together but have separate titles. I think the correct order is

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit
Moribito Hunter and Hunted
Moribito Trail of Blood
Moribito Fight to the Death

I'm not positive about this ordering. You can see a trailer for these episodes at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsxSZ-sHWyg.

The next nine episodes cover a different story about a young girl who is possessed by a demon spirit. This story is okay but seems a bit redundant with Chagum's story. The final nine episodes show Chagum as an older adolescent prince trying to avert a war between New Yogo and the Karsh Empire. It could be the best of the bunch.

Sadly none of these are available legally, but they're out there if you know where to look.

Megiddo wrote:
Still available is the gorgeous Art Box released by Media Blasters that you can snag for less than $1.50.

Really gotta wonder just how many of these things that they made that they're still available 10 years later being prices at no more than a couple bucks for seemingly forever now.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Moribito-Guardian-of-the-Spirit-Two-Pack-DVD-7-8-Hyb-Artbox

I bought this version as it was released. Spent well over a hundred dollars for the set. Now it will cost you less than $10 at RightStuf.

I also bought the Viz version which came out when the series was carried on Adult Swim. That version costs $28 on DVD and $50 on Blu-ray. I gave away this version to a friend as I had the Media Blasters release. https://www.amazon.com/Moribito-Guardian-Spirit-Complete-Collection/dp/B0035RWG0M/
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Honesty this is legitimately one of the best anime of all time and it's always been a shame at how underrated and underappreciated it's been
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Boy-this show has been kicked around more times than a ball in a soccer match. I have the original MB bluray release and have no intention of rebuying it again-don't get me wrong. It's a fantastic show and I love watching it. I'm glad though that more people who've missed it so far have another chance to buy it.
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I have that box, and I have it signed by Kenji Kamiyama.

I still hope somebody decides to pick up the rest of the novels and release them. They stopped after two of them over here. That, and the Twelve Kingdoms novels.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I remember not believing my luck that I was able to pick up the Bliray for under 20 bucks at Best Buy. What’s funny is, I remember watching it on AS and not caring for it too much. I might’ve even tuned out at one point, but I knew an Anime Bluray for under 20 bucks was too good a deal and when I rewatched it and opinion of the series flipped for the better.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
You can also watch the first episode of the live action for free on Tubi if you don’t have Amazon Prime.
lemurs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
I have the old DVDs but are the Blu-Rays upscales or actually in HD?

Pretty sure it's an early native HD title, but both Media Blasters and Viz had trouble turning out a release with good video quality. Perhaps the third time's the charm.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope that with this receives the recognition it deserves. In my top 5 of favorite animes ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2