• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RetroCrush Adds Haruka Nogizaka's Secret, Kite, Kobato., Lupin III: Part II Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they succeed. "Not so retro" is accurate for most of these but damn, it still feels nostalgic. Haruka wasn't the greatest romance ever but It was fun
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I really wanna see Kobato, so this is really good news!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
International version for Kite? What would that entail considering there were three different versions of the OVA released stateside? General Release? Director's Cut? Fully unedited version?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see them adding more titles. Hopefully Haruka does well and discotek will finally bring over the finale
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:41 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
International version for Kite? What would that entail considering there were three different versions of the OVA released stateside? General Release? Director's Cut? Fully unedited version?

The International version is the two episodes combined into movie form. I have to think that it's going to be the general release version, as the DC and fully-unedited versions are full hentai.

Also glad to see Nogizaka Haruka's Secret being streamed. Not the greatest of romantic comedies, and more or less an otaku wish fulfillment scenario, but it was sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Kobato (Still waiting on a dub), doesn't Sentai still have it? Why is Retrocrush streaming it? I thought Sentai had the rights to that show.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
As much as I love Kobato (Still waiting on a dub), doesn't Sentai still have it? Why is Retrocrush streaming it? I thought Sentai had the rights to that show.
Seems like Sentai no longer has Kobato -- it's not on HiDive, and the DVDs aren't for sale at Sentai or Rightstuf. I wouldn't hold out hope on it getting a dub. Unless it's an evergreen megahit like Clannad or Highschool of the Dead, Sentai's been letting licenses expire after the typical 5-7-year period.

Basically, if there's any Sentai title that aired before 2015 or so that you want to see, buy or stream it now before it's gone. Though presumably ones that they've recently dubbed, like Shirobako, To-LoveRu, and Pet Girl of Sakurasou, should stick around a little longer.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:30 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I really wanna see Kobato, so this is really good news!

One of my favorite anime. The background artwork is absolutely stunning, particularly in episode 13 and 19. Episode 19 is my go-to episode I watch at Christmastime. Still brings tears to my eyes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I saw Kobato years ago back when Hulu still had free ad supported streaming and it was really good. Definitely one of CLAMP's more under-rated titles to me so I'm excited it's coming to RetroCrush and I really want to see it again.

Quote:
Seems like Sentai no longer has Kobato -- it's not on HiDive, and the DVDs aren't for sale at Sentai or Rightstuf. I wouldn't hold out hope on it getting a dub. Unless it's an evergreen megahit like Clannad or Highschool of the Dead, Sentai's been letting licenses expire after the typical 5-7-year period.
Even if Sentai still had it, I think Sentai dubbing Kobato would have been complicated since it does feature a major cameo later on of the spoiler[Tsubasa Chronicles cast and I don't know how easy it would have been for them to reunite the Funimation cast for that].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1