• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Requiem of the Rose King Manga Gets TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I've heard good things about the manga, so I'm looking forward to the anime adaptation Very Happy
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god YES YES YES YES

You know what's crazy? Earlier today my best friend and I were discussing about the manga and I randomly made a comment as usual how I wish there was an anime. Articles like this are the reason I obsessively check ANN haha. This is one of my all-time favorite manga series so I'm super hype!!

I hope MAPPA animates this, I think considering the subject matter (especially surrounding Richard) they would be a good studio.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:36 am Reply with quote
You know, even a year ago I would've been absolutely ecstatic to hear this news. But the manga had been utterly, increasingly disappointing in these past volumes, to the point that I just decided to stop buying it (having been following it since the first chapter). So... my reaction is muted, to say the least. if anything it makes me even more sad and disappointed in what the manga has become in its second arc.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:17 am Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
Oh my god YES YES YES YES

You know what's crazy? Earlier today my best friend and I were discussing about the manga and I randomly made a comment as usual how I wish there was an anime. Articles like this are the reason I obsessively check ANN haha. This is one of my all-time favorite manga series so I'm super hype!!

I hope MAPPA animates this, I think considering the subject matter (especially surrounding Richard) they would be a good studio.

ANN is my favorite anime site!
toprak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:32 am Reply with quote
YEEEEEEEEEEEEES! I hope it will be served on Amazon Prime Video, It has come to Turkey yesterday and its just 8 turkish lira while CR is 40 Anime catgrin
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
This sounds interesting! Hopefully it comes to somewhere accessible like CR. I can't afford Amazon Prime right now. Sad
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
Yesssssssssss! A shoujo manga adaptation! One that's not about a bland high school girl falling in love with a mean boy!

I haven't read Requiem of a Rose King, but I have some friends who really love it, so I'm excited. Definitely plan to support it, since shoujo anime that's not based on an otome/gacha game has become such a rare treasure.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am Reply with quote
I do like dark fantasy, and also Shakespeare adaptations. Plus I agree it's a nice change of pace from the shoujo female MC who falls for either the bad boy, or the quiet brooding angtsy boy.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I do like dark fantasy, and also Shakespeare adaptations. Plus I agree it's a nice change of pace from the shoujo female MC who falls for either the bad boy, or the quiet brooding angtsy boy.

Don't read past volume 11. :/

The first arc of Rose King is some of my favorite manga ever. It's just good old-school shoujo melodrama in the best possible sense, great art, and I really really love how Kanno Aya uses Shakespeare's play and weaves lines from it into her dialogue (I wonder how the English translation dealt with that).

And then the second arc is just... kind of takes a sharp left turn and gets into a romance which just derails the whole thing into something really obnoxious, borderline offensive, terrible-and-not-in-a-good-sense melodrama. (spoiler[Richard does, in fact, turn into a "female MC" (as in he gets increasingly feminized) who falls hard for the bad boy, in what is essentially a rape-turned-into-romance storyline.]) Also, even though this is technically supposed to be the part actually based on Richard III, the connections to Shakespeare are getting increasingly strenuous, both for the character and some key aspects of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1