• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Ones Within Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I read some of the manga for this one right before the anime released (not a ton of it mind, just 20 chapters or so) and while I definitely can’t say ALL of the anime’s problems are absent from the manga, I will say it’s a pretty poor adaptation of what was an okay manga.
To be fair, I couldn’t make it past the first episode, but BY GOD was it a bad first episode. The pacing compared to the manga was insanely rushed, they cut at least one key scene that completely changed the context of the scene preceding it, and by far the weirdest one was that some of the voices really didn’t fit and made some characters come across completely differently. The one I remember the most was the one boy who was really angry all the time (don’t remember his name). His VA made him come across as at most mildly annoyed. It bothering me so much was a weird experience for me because that is NOT usually the kind of thing I notice/care about.
In my opinion though, the most egregious thing they did was spoiler[ cut the scene immediately following the MC’s conversation with the murderous ghost girl, helping her move on as it was initially the moment I became interested in the story. After he connects with her, promises to be her friend and he won’t forget her etc., and she moves on, the kids go to eat and one asks him what he and the girl talked about. He thinks for a second and with the same nice, genuine smile he’s had the entire time says he doesn’t remember. It’s a genuinely chilling moment in the manga and I think driving home early that deep down he’s just as cuckoo bananas as everyone else early on helped me not get bored of his otherwise bland personality. To be fair even in the manga the characters are one note and if I’d read further then I may have begun to tire of them, but there was enough charm to at least some of them to keep me invested for the duration I did read. Overall not surprised in the least that anime did not recover after how bad even just its first episode was.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Llama =/= alpaca. Rolling Eyes
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The manga is not a particular diamond in the rough, but the anime is just an absolute mess.
They removed absolutely everything that made the manga and the characters at least intriguing. From the top of my head I remember spoiler[Iride saying he didn't remember what he had said to the ghost girl, Kaikoku being suspicious of Roromori, the detective investigating, the crew of animal-headed people talking about the current players, the existence of a lab underwater, Iride's coocoo mother]... Most are still loose ends in the manga as well, but at least it's trying to go somewhere, while the anime just didn't try at all.

Quote:
The characters rarely seem particularly concerned with getting home, either.

I'm sure it was stated early in the manga that these particular players spoiler[were chosen because they had little desire to go back home, therefore serving whatever purpose the game had.] Just one of many skipped scenes in the anime.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:53 pm Reply with quote
It's really interesting hearing about all the things the anime left out, because man it sounds like they skipped some crucial details. Watching this was... not quite torture, but for sure I earned my paycheck on this one. Sounds like in better hands it could have been at least tolerable.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
The anime definitely suffered from poor adaptation. While not the worst, I don't think I would have enjoyed it if not for the dub.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Eight video game streamers receive a message telling them they've been approved for the closed beta of the game “Genome: The Ones Within”. All seven of them wake up on an island
Eight --> Seven? Was one of them the mascotmind all along?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1