• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club (TV)
Season 2 - Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club (TV 2)

Genres: comedy, drama
Themes: idols, school

Plot Summary: Nijigasaki High School is known for their diverse subjects and the freedom they give to students. Second-year student Yu Takasaki has been turned on to the charms of school idols, so she knocks on the door of the School Idol Club with her friend, Ayumu Uehara. Sometimes friends, sometimes rivals, the members of this club each contribute their own thoughts and motivations to the group.

S1 - FUNimation
S2 - Apr. 2, 2022 (Saturdays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------

Continuing down the Fall 2020 Preview page, didn't see a thread for this one, so here it is. Apparently this is a spinoff of another spinoff (Sunshine!!) of the original (School idol project). I haven't seen any of these, and am confused as heck about what order I'm supposed to put this in, so it gets its own thread, for now. Updated the original Sunshine thread to include a link to this spinoff.

EDIT: Okay, I figured it out. Here's a list if anyone is interested in continuity:

1st Series - School idol project (discussed here)
2nd Series (spinoff from 1st) - Sunshine!! (discussed here)
3rd Series (spinoff from 2nd) - Idol Club (discussed here)

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

If we have a topic for this, I will use it. Kasumi had kind of been my favourite of this group so far, it helped by the fact that Nico has been my overall favourite and the two have some similar quirks. Although Rina being the star of this episode earned some points. I could see some being drawn into that opinion from her wanting to be bubbly and friendly but just cutely not being able to express it, sort of like that gap moe thing.

For me it is more on the relatable side, because as someone on the autism spectrum I would think it would be fairly likely that Rina would also be on the spectrum. Her difficulty in expressing herself seems very similar to a common trait of people on the spectrum. Her awkwardness also seems like a pretty new trait among characters in the series, beating out the others.

I had seen pieces of art showing Rina with that screen on her face, I was a little unsure how it would work, and I think that it did manage to work well in the episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

I think that I should initially give some appreciation that this season/series of Love Live had tried something differently, they are not actually one single group but all individual performers that made them also kid of rivals, and there is a 10th member who is not actually an idol herself but helps the others. Their joint performance in this last episode seemed aimed at Yuu, their support, which perhaps in English works well as being "For You". But, it kind of feels like this apparent support that Yuu did in heling them all, might have been something focused in the source material of this series, but in the anime was kind of spread a bit among the rest of the girls, which might not be bad in itself form a web of friendships among them. Although I general I think that I am just going to say that as a general format there was a bit too much of a departure of the usual formula, that even building those interconnections among them is almost a half measure.

The series has just been so much of a team show, where all nine girls are one team, and everything is about that team coming together for their group performers, that having them all spread out as individual performers kind of feels a bit disorientating. Going further, the previous series would break up the nine girls usually into groups of three, generally about their ages/year, so any character you could place them as this one type of personality among this year, so it kind of felt like you could grasp all nine characters pretty easily. In this show I kind of felt like all these characters kind of blended together, and although I probably could pick out the ribbon to figure out their year, I really did not reflexively where each of them stood, like what came before. Maybe others did not have the problem, but I kind of did when all the characters kind of just mixed in there, and then there were the character of the week that would then define the character when their turn came up. Which I don't think felt as organic as say the second season of the original Love Live that would have some focus on different characters after they had been defined, just a different side of them.

At least we had a storyline of girls just totally being really good friends, involving jealousy, blossoming feelings, pushing each other on bed and hand holding.

My rating will be Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:50 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 (finale)

Alright, I think that there were some improvements in this second season, primarily at making them be more of a cohesive unit, that they might perform together. And although I think of there being too many girls for me already, I did like some of the new characters, such as the English speaking girl.

This series had already been poisoned to me, and I think of myself as quite vindicated when between these two seasons we got Love Live Superstar. That series' first season brought back the original's director, a smaller group, and generally was just the parts of this franchise I am much more into, confirming that I wasn't just imagining the difference in quality.

My rating for second season will be Decent (6/10), having improvements that it is not worse to watch, but not really enough to push up the score more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1