• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Somari and the Guardian of the Forest Manga Ends Due to Author's Worsening Health

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
I have not caught up on the latest chapters, so has the manga approaching any sort of natural stopping point or just being cancelled abruptly?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:25 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the anime when it came out earlier this year and I had hoped we could get a second season. That's sad news about the author's health that they have to cancel the manga now.
James02

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:34 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I have not caught up on the latest chapters, so has the manga approaching any sort of natural stopping point or just being cancelled abruptly?

Sadly it was abrupt.
In English there's 36 chapters and in Japanese there's 37 chapters. This has been the case since October 2019.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:46 am Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Sadly it was abrupt.
In English there's 36 chapters and in Japanese there's 37 chapters. This has been the case since October 2019.

What can you do, its not his fault his health is failing and i really hope he recovers but it does not sound good, i guess they decided its better to end it abruptly rather than leave it hanging if the worst case scenario happens.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:53 am Reply with quote
I feel so sad about this both for the manga-ka (I hope they recover) and because I really enjoyed the manga. It’s sad to know a story you are reading will never conclude.

I had noticed a new volume had not come out in awhile but I didn’t even realize the manga had been on hiatus. I just thought it was a manga that released on a slower schedule. I feel the fact that they cancelled after a year it isn’t good for the manga-ka’s health but wishing them the best.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:24 am Reply with quote
Well... shittt

This isn't the first time i've read a manga that has ended due to reasons outside of the author's control like health or death but it sucks.

I really really loved Somari and Golem's journey and the point I last read was where things were dark.

I wish they could have gotten a proper conclusion but hopefully, it ended on a happy note.

The fact that it's ended instead of being put on hiatus to me implies that there's little chance that the author will recover enough to continue but I'm hoping he pulls through.

Damn I really did love this story I hope he recovers and is able to continue the story somehow, even if it means retconning or ignoring chapters.
annasartin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:42 am Reply with quote
Makes me sad, this beautiful manga deserved a proper ending even if it was a sad one. I really hope the author can get better somehow even if they never do manga again, this whole situation is just tragic.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:43 am Reply with quote
Let us raise a cup of remembrance to the authors who went before their time and the stories they left behind. Great creators of worlds abound. I salute you.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:14 am Reply with quote
While I am happy that Somali got to end (I haven't caught up on the manga yet), it sucks that it had to come because of something like this. I wonder what's going on with the author? I hope they manage to get better in some way! But hey, the manga had a good run, and sometimes it's better that manga don't run for too long and overstay their welcome.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
While I am happy that Somali got to end (I haven't caught up on the manga yet), it sucks that it had to come because of something like this. I wonder what's going on with the author? I hope they manage to get better in some way! But hey, the manga had a good run, and sometimes it's better that manga don't run for too long and overstay their welcome.

Just want to point out if it’s not clear the manga did not get an ending.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
Wait, it didn't?! Uuuugh.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
This is super sucky news. Thanks, 2020. Anyway, I certainly hope Yako Gureishi recovers. Anybody know what he's afflicted with? Haven't read the manga yet, but loved the anime.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:01 am Reply with quote
I really wish more authors would do The wheel of Time thing and get someone to finish it for them even if it's an abbreviated ending. Even if it's two paragraphs explaining what would happen at the end by the author. Something. Not just I'm getting sick or so I'm not even going to try to finish my story and leave my fans completely hanging. Perhaps it sounds callous, but when you have so many people invested in something of yours you should have plans ready just in case the worst happens.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
I hope he gets better. I loved the anime, and I’m sad to hear about this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I hope he gets better. I loved the anime, and I’m sad to hear about this.
I hope he gets better too, its really sad to not be able to finish ones lifework due to illness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2