• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Considers New State of Emergency in Tokyo, 3 Neighboring Prefectures

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I just got the report via several news sources like NHK World app's notification, Japan Today newsletter in my email, and The Japan Times e-mail newsletter. Yeah, I remember hearing about Japanese government and health official (including PM Suga) confirming 5 cases of that UK strain of COVID-19 (2nd sources). Yes, I can see why the Japanese government would consider a new state of emergency, and probably a lockdown from what I read online, and it wouldn't surprised me. Japan's not alone, I'm getting report that South Korea has also confirmed their cases of the UK COVID-19 strain. So it's inevitable this strain will spread in most of East (and probably Southeast) Asia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Willo567

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yes, I just got the report via several news sources like NHK World app's notification, Japan Today newsletter in my email, and The Japan Times e-mail newsletter. Yeah, I remember hearing about Japanese government and health official (including PM Suga) confirming 5 cases of that UK strain of COVID-19 (2nd sources). Yes, I can see why the Japanese government would consider a new state of emergency, and probably a lockdown from what I read online, and it wouldn't surprised me. Japan's not alone, I'm getting report that South Korea has also confirmed their cases of the UK COVID-19 strain. So it's inevitable this strain will spread in most of East (and probably Southeast) Asia.

Under the constitution, the Japanese government can't actually enforce a lock down, only request that businesses close
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Willo567 wrote:
Under the constitution, the Japanese government can't actually enforce a lock down, only request that businesses close

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm just telling what I'm reading and hearing from Twitter, and my Japan news sources. But do recall back in April, PM Abe and Japanese government & health official have considered doing a national lockdown in Japan but it never happened. Instead PM Abe declare a nationwide state of emergency for Japan in that same month.

I have a feeling it's going to be the same thing. So looks like Japan is going to go back what it went through in April 2020.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Translation: Suga wants the Olympics but doesn't actually want to make a decision. I don't expect him to actually do anything meaningful, but instead hoping something will drop out of the sky to save him
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Will all the winter anime season shows end up getting delayed again like last year when they did a lock down?
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote
Looks my trip to Japan is going to have to wait for some time...
#sukkar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Will all the winter anime season shows end up getting delayed again like last year when they did a lock down?

Japan never did a lock down, it's not a power granted by the constitution. What Japan did was "encourage" businesses to close via a state of emergency. What the prime minister at the time was able to do was close schools nationwide though.

Honestly though? I doubt anything is gonna change. Here in Tokyo the daily numbers have been nearly ten times higher than they were when the initial state of emergency was enacted. Suga, the new prime minister, recently said that schools won't shut down, theaters will stay open, and businesses are only encouraged to close earlier. Basically, it's going to be a state of emergency in name only for most people.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Looks my trip to Japan is going to have to wait for some time...

Yeah, ditto me...I'm supposed to go in March with PacSet, but i am almost certain it gets postponed (again...it was already postponed from Oct 2020). I feel bad for Evan and the rest of the PacSet crew as their livelihood, like many others in both the US and abroad, is being ravaged by a situation beyond their control...

EDIT 1-5-2021 08:43 PM ET: Yup, it got postponed...either next March for 'Animated Spring 2022,' or possibly later this year for a new trip they are trying to arrange...

https://www.pacsettravel.com/the-latest/post-covid-2021
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1