• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Intuition of Haruhi Suzumiya

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The novel ends with an Afterword by Tanigawa, where he explains that this novel took nine years to get out basically because he got lazy.

Even if that wasn't the case, I strongly felt that the previous novel 'Disassociation' was the story's ultimate ending, even if it didn't say 'The End' on the final page. It rounded out to the same time of year when Kyon's story started (coming full circle in several different ways), it had an epic climax against the brigade that rivaled the SOS Brigade, it left intriguing hints of what was to come in Kyon's/Haruhi's future, it took care to tie up most essential loose ends that dropped in here and there throughout the series, and had a roll call of all the familiar characters right before the final page. If there was to be any continuation at all, it should've centered on either Haruhi finding out about her own brigade (spoiler[or perhaps even a window of Kyon's/Haruhi's future together]) or something that delved further into what was Tsuruya's deal was or how much she knows of everything. That would've been more intriguing than having more bonus 'slice-of-whatever' type stories, especially after a long wait.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote
There's another reference that anime-only readers will miss, but it goes by in a single sentence (it's about the mysterious artifact buried on the Tsuruya estate).

I think Tanigawa had grown tired of the series nine years ago --- I reread the last two novels (English translation count --- it would amount to the last three books as released in Japan) as a sort of preparation for this one coming out, and really felt that Tanigawa was getting stale.

This new book, however, gives him a way to write stories in the Haruhiverse without having to deal with Haruhi herself as much. "Random numbers" is basically a conversation between Kyon and Koizumi, the "Seven Wonders" story has Haruhi off stage for 95% of it, and "Tsuruya's Challenge" is a way for Tanigawa to "geek out about mysteries", in Theron's words, and have a story that focuses on Tsuruya (sort of) more than Haruhi.

I think pachy_boy is on to something with the proposal that Dissociation was a credible conclusion for the series, even though it has some loose ends.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I would think the proper end of the present franchise would be at graduation. If the author is tired of the series he could wrap things up with a time skip to that time. There should be some clear things happening with Haruhi, not just a vague ending. Though perhaps that is what we will get.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I would think the proper end of the present franchise would be at graduation.

Volume 10 gives us a glimpse of spoiler[Haruhi and Kyon's college days.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1