• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jujutsu Kaisen Manga's Circulation Jumps by 5 Million More Copies in 13 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Vol 1 of the series BD sold almost 23,000 copies in the first week.

by: http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/189665
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:

That’s really good huh? I know a lot of BD’s typically sell between 8,000 and 12,000, if that.

JJK is really on track to be the highest selling new gen manga. That’s incredible. Based only upon a little more than half a season’s worth of material.
cchigu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Another KnY in the making. Jump is owning.
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Changeman wrote:

That’s really good huh? I know a lot of BD’s typically sell between 8,000 and 12,000, if that.

JJK is really on track to be the highest selling new gen manga. That’s incredible. Based only upon a little more than half a season’s worth of material.

If an anime broadcast late at night sells 5,000 copies, it is considered a success. Jujutsu sold almost 5 times more than what is considered a success and in Japan it is broadcast at 1:30 am.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
As huge as Kimetsu no Yaiba is... The manga is finished and everyone has seen the new film. Funnily enough, yesterday (Monday here) when I went into first period class (which was for fifth graders) 3 girls immediately ran over to me saying "Jujustu Kaisen!" and "Satoru Gojou!".

Unless there is something Kimetsu related on the horizon soon, I might have to update a lot of my presentation materials and stuff to include Jujustu Kaisen!
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
Changeman wrote:

If an anime broadcast late at night sells 5,000 copies, it is considered a success. Jujutsu sold almost 5 times more than what is considered a success and in Japan it is broadcast at 1:30 am.

Thank you for the extra context! I appreciate it. It just makes the feat even more impressive.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:02 am Reply with quote
I could see that coming, just didn't expect it to be that fast. Shonen jump has a big hit on their hands and in JJKs case this might actually be an international hit as well.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Its good to see Shounen Jump have some genuine successors to the likes of Naruto and Bleach that are coming through. I get the feeling Kimetsu no Yaiba will be the biggest shounen success story of the last few years and its guaranteed to get a second series what with its huge popularity.

That said I feel its humour is a little too immature and hyper for me at times. Jujutsu Kaisen has a good balance of the funny and three grim/macabre that scratches that itch left behind by the likes of Bleach (even though its final arc is due to be asked this year).

In any case, the more the merrier as they say. One Piece won't be around forever even if Shounen Jump tries to guarantee it will be (I say let Oda retire in place given he's produced 100 volumes of material so far and is hopefully not too far from the series end at this point).
tsog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Changeman wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
Changeman wrote:

Thank you for the extra context! I appreciate it. It just makes the feat even more impressive.

The rumor was that it used to take around 3K per volume to break even, but these days with more and more revenue from streaming/overseas plus focus on selling original source/merchandise combined with the macro trend of declining disc sales, managing 23K is darn impressive.
ETX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Jujutsu Kaisen is on the verge of passing My Hero Academia's lifetime sales of 30 million copies in just 2 years.

That is such a massive feat and as a huge fan of JJK, I couldn't be any happier for the series and it's success.
toprak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote
Will it be like KnY?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1