• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Film Opens in N. American Theaters on April 23, With Digital Re

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncouthFive

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
Ah, finally, a release date. Can't wait for this!
SP654

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
About time they announce the release date and they say “early 2021” I thought It was going to be February
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I do hope a physical release will happen at some point, and it won't be a digital-only release. I'll be waiting very patiently for the physical copy.

It is neat that they're still going along with the theater run plan, although theaters around here aren't entirely open yet, and I really don't feel comfortable yet going to a theater either. Especially with knowing how popular this is going to be.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Definitely gonna' get me that LE AoA release whenever the pre-order is up.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
That's cool for anyone who can go and see it physically. Unfortunately, as much as I want to see it, I won't be watching this in my local theater, and I'm not a fan of digital releases either. Hopefully a home video release comes before the new season airs this year.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Going to get together a bunch of friends and family to see this as surprisingly even some who aren't into anime watched Demon Slayer for some reason...

And 'PlayStation Store'? Aren't they shutting down the videos side of that thing? Or is it scheduled to end later on?
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
How the heck did this get an R-rating?! Every student of mine in Japan has seen this film & loves this series!
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
How the heck did this get an R-rating?! Every student of mine in Japan has seen this film & loves this series!

The same way Nomadland got an R rating for a woman floating naked for about 10 seconds. Americans are exceptionally prudish by most standards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
In the US, the series is given the TV-MA rating, so it's not a surprise that the film would be rated R. US and Japan have a lot different standards when it comes to violence, gore, and the like. So what Japan may deem fine for younger audiences, the US may not.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of not expecting to be vaccinated before it shows up in theaters (Florida...) but boy if I can rent a theater for my friends and I.... I just need to see this on the big screen!!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Definitely gonna' get me that LE AoA release whenever the pre-order is up.

It’s up and good luck with finding it it’s sold out everywhere

RenRen94 wrote:
That's cool for anyone who can go and see it physically. Unfortunately, as much as I want to see it, I won't be watching this in my local theater, and I'm not a fan of digital releases either. Hopefully a home video release comes before the new season airs this year.

I am sure there will eventually be a domestic physical release but the Japanese version is released in June so there is no way they are going to let Funimation release a cheaper version earlier. The Japanese release does have English subs though.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
it does, but they are Aniplex subs. if you are going to pay that much for a movie, competent subs shouldn't be too much to ask for
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Theaters here are still shut down, so that's not gonna' happen.
Truske

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
it does, but they are Aniplex subs. if you are going to pay that much for a movie, competent subs shouldn't be too much to ask for

Not like crunchyroll's subs are competend... or any of the streaming services for anime to be exact, they are all subpar.

Besides, based on what are you saying that aniplex subs are not good?
RockSplash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:16 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
omnistry wrote:
In the US, the series is given the TV-MA rating, so it's not a surprise that the film would be rated R. US and Japan have a lot different standards when it comes to violence, gore, and the like. So what Japan may deem fine for younger audiences, the US may not.

Cowboy Bebop is a tv-14 series, but the movie is rated R. So its not the first to do this
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2