• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Finishes Filming 1st Season

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
FYI, if you really hate this live action stuff, just don't watch it. Don't even hate watch it. In the words of Jay Sherman:

"People, it’s up to you. If the movie stinks, just don’t go.

(I know live action Cowboy Bebop isn't a movie but the logic still applies here)
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Generally I don't care for live action versions, Japanese or not (among the ones I've watched there was exactly one that I liked, Midnight Diner - the rest was IMO terrible), but for some strange reason I'm lowkey excited about this one. And I'm not even one of those "Cowboy Bebop is better in English because blahblahblah USA USA" people.

Don't let me down, show.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Even if it's a giant dumpster fire, we're getting a new soundtrack by Yoko Kanno, so I'm super stokes for this!
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Huh I hadn't heard any news about this in forever, I assumed it had been cancelled at this point. Oh well, guess we'll just see if it turns out good or not.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
No Ed-ie no watchie!
Seriously, they made sure to have Ein, which is great, don’t get me wrong, but they couldn’t figure out how to include Ed?! Is it because they want to avoid most of the light hearted, comedic parts? Is it because it was too hard to find a young, nonbinary actor for the part? I wish I knew *why* they decided to leave out Ed, is all.

I might actually try watching this, just to figure out what aspects of the series they did adapt, and how. I’ll admit I’m curious. Also, Yoko Kanno’s music is awesome. But I’m really disappointed that they left Ed out, because she was always my favorite.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
we're getting a new soundtrack by Yoko Kanno, so I'm super stokes for this!

We are???

Well then! At least that's something!

Agent355 wrote:
No Ed-ie no watchie!
Seriously, they made sure to have Ein, which is great, don’t get me wrong, but they couldn’t figure out how to include Ed?! Is it because they want to avoid most of the light hearted, comedic parts? Is it because it was too hard to find a young, nonbinary actor for the part? I wish I knew *why* they decided to leave out Ed, is all.

In all likelihood, it's because Ed shows up a little later in the series and they're saving her for season 2.

I'm expecting this first season to be a lengthier re-telling of the events of the first 5 episodes of the anime. That's enough characters to focus on already.

My main gripe so far is that I don't think the guy cast as Spike can fight like Spike, unless he's been put through training for this, for which I was really hoping they'd have gone with the original intention of using Keanu Reeves. The best parts of the Bebop action aside from the Swordfish was watching Spike shootin' and kickin' fools. Two things we know Keanu is good at.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Ed is the best character, I did not know that they were being left out.

If choosing a specific actor yet could prove difficult, I imagine, although it has been a while since I saw the series, could expand the time Radical Edward is unseen force as a hacker that helps the crew with their silly aesthetic, before hinting to have decided to join the crew in person starting the second season or something. Giving more time for an Ed portrayal they think will fit.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody read? The premise says (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Based on the worldwide phenomenon from Sunrise Inc., Cowboy Bebop is the jazz-inspired, genre-bending story of Spike Spiegel, Jet Black, Faye Valentine and Radical Ed: a rag-tag crew of bounty hunters on the run from their pasts as they hunt down the solar system's most dangerous criminals. They'll even save the world…for the right price.

Ed's in the show. They just have casted her yet, or have, they just haven't revealed it yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Madster wrote:
FYI, if you really hate this live action stuff, just don't watch it. Don't even hate watch it. In the words of Jay Sherman:

(I know live action Cowboy Bebop isn't a movie but the logic still applies here)

But how do you know till you have seen it? some of my favourite films/shows have had crap rotten tomato scores while I've reviled critically praised films/shows.

If your at all interested you just try it and if it doesn't pop then you drop it.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
But how do you know till you have seen it? some of my favourite films/shows have had crap rotten tomato scores while I've reviled critically praised films/shows.

If your at all interested you just try it and if it doesn't pop then you drop it.

People have the ability to use their critical thinking and analysis skills to judge if a show is going to be something they like or not. Just the fact it's an "Americanized live-action Cowboy Bebop TV series" is enough for people to know if they'll hate it or not, let alone all the interviews, writing changing announcements, and casting decisions they've done so far. It's not really about going blindly off critic scores. If anything, I'm sure the critic score for this will be quite high.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
This trip to White Castle is gonna be EPIC!

...I am really shooting for a cameo from Kal Penn. And NPH.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Kal Penn as Cowboy Andy. Laughing
Madster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Madster wrote:

I'm not saying people shouldn't watch this show out to try it and see if it's good, in fact that's totally fine. My comment was directed to people who say "This [insert name of whatever show/movie] sucks and I hate it!" but then proceed to watch and support the very thing they hate.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Kal Penn as Cowboy Andy. Laughing

Neal Patrick Harris as Cowboy Andy! He plays arrogant fools well, and he still has a pretty boy charm.
That I’d watch!
Hope y’all are right and they’re planning to include Ed eventually. It just seemed weird that they didn’t cast her yet.
Also, I want all the trippy episodes about magic mushrooms and alien fridge rot.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:43 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

People have the ability to use their critical thinking and analysis skills to judge if a show is going to be something they like or not. Just the fact it's an "Americanized live-action Cowboy Bebop TV series" is enough for people to know if they'll hate it or not, let alone all the interviews, writing changing announcements, and casting decisions they've done so far. It's not really about going blindly off critic scores. If anything, I'm sure the critic score for this will be quite high.
Cowboy Bebop is literally a space western inspired by Hollywood movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3