• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Short Horror Film Featuring Animal Crossing: New Horizons Game Inspires Feature Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
is this less inspired and lazy than the Emoji Movie or about the same?
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

How so? The short film itself just felt like a classic video game creepy pasta. I find that kind of stuff fun. It’s less a shameless marketing ploy and more of “man wouldn’t this be kinda creepy?”
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

How so? The short film itself just felt like a classic video game creepy pasta. I find that kind of stuff fun. It’s less a shameless marketing ploy and more of “man wouldn’t this be kinda creepy?”
I'm referring to the feature film, not the original short.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I'm referring to the feature film, not the original short.

The short film only features the game. A full length movie would, presumably, have an actual plot and would likely use a different, fake game if it even still has a game in it. Honestly, what does this and the emoji movie even have in common? This is more like Unfriended.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
Timur Bekmambetov? His career hasn't quite taken the trajectory I expected but I still love his Night Watch and Day Watch films. [Looks up IMDB] Ah.

I thought they were from the 90s but they're really from the mid 2000s? Then I guess his career went exactly as it should have then if he's now reduced to producing movies based on shorts based on video games.... no, featuring a video game?

Oh right, just watch the short. And the short reminded me of something Timur Bekmambetov did in Night Watch using a fighting video game as training but also mirroring the real world so...

It's odd but fitting to say the least.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
The short film only features the game. A full length movie would, presumably, have an actual plot and would likely use a different, fake game if it even still has a game in it. Honestly, what does this and the emoji movie even have in common? This is more like Unfriended.
I've never heard of Unfriended. The Emoji Movie was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of for, we've ran out of ideas lets turn this into a Movie.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've never heard of Unfriended. The Emoji Movie was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of for, we've ran out of ideas lets turn this into a Movie.

Yeah...I don’t see it. There’s nothing new about short horror films eventually being picked up and turned into feature length. One that comes to mind for me is 2016’s “Lights Out.” So the actual thought process was more likely “hey I like this haunted video game idea. Let’s see if we can stretch it out fo 2 more hours.”
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Nothing screams true horror like crippling debt, depression and the racoon mob.
I mean just ask any college student.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
Really easy to tell who in this thread didn't bother watching the short. Guys, it's like a little over 6 minutes. If you don't like horror stuff, I get it, but still probably best to not comment random stuff without any idea of what you're talking about.

Anyway, I hope they keep the video game aspect for the movie and don't change it to some other entertainment medium. I mean, obviously it won't be Animal Crossing, but video games are very popular so I think it'd be a good draw to the movie if it stayed with the 'haunted video game' idea. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1