• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Manga Has Over 50 Million Copies in Circulation Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
Viz has 5million for HeroAcamedia in America, and if 13mln are HeroAca outside of JPN, America is carrying a significant weight of that chunk. [https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/1246486438696357888?lang=en]

We love our super heroes
Matros

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
That's certainly a big number, but I expected more for some reason.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:

My Hero Academia is a big series but it hasn't grown a lot in the last few years and has indeed been slightly declining since vol. 20, at least in terms of sales. I'd argue the series has been declining in quality as well and this seems to be a relatively common opinion.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:01 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Matros wrote:

My Hero Academia is a big series but it hasn't grown a lot in the last few years and has indeed been slightly declining since vol. 20, at least in terms of sales. I'd argue the series has been declining in quality as well and this seems to be a relatively common opinion.

I look at the data and MHA isn't declining, its peak is like Vol. 21. I think the reason for it is more the series got a lot darker and the villains are not very popular in Japan
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
How are its sales declining? Three months ago ANN reported that it had reached 30 million in circulation. 20 million in three months is more than the lifetime of many manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Matros wrote:

Uh not really no the last arc and general current events of the manga have been pretty well-received for the most part by the fan-base. It’s still doing pretty good.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:57 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
How are its sales declining? Three months ago ANN reported that it had reached 30 million in circulation. 20 million in three months is more than the lifetime of many manga

Perhaps they mean declining by "Shonen Jump hit manga" standards, which are higher than most non-Jump series could even hope to achieve.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Those are good numbers, but as others said, looking at the success of Demon Slayer and the recent spike in sales of Jujutsu Kaisen makes me wonder if MHA's popularity is declining in Japan and perhaps the majority of its sales and popularity comes from the West
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

Perhaps they mean declining by "Shonen Jump hit manga" standards, which are higher than most non-Jump series could even hope to achieve.

Even by jump standards, 50 million is still high especially for the series' age.
Some comparisons:
Black clover: 11 mill (as of Nov 2020.)
Shokugeki: 20 mil (March 2020)
Promised Neverland: 26 mill (Dec 2020)

I could go on but if you're really interested just check online for lists of best-selling manga, like on Wikipedia. Basically, there are only three series that debuted after 2010 and have now reached 50 million+ (KnY, MHA, and Haikyuu)
If it seems like I'm fixating on this it's just that quality is subjective but the sales numbers aren't.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
I could go on but if you're really interested just check online for lists of best-selling manga, like on Wikipedia. Basically, there are only three series that debuted after 2010 and have now reached 50 million+ (KnY, MHA, and Haikyuu)
If it seems like I'm fixating on this it's just that quality is subjective but the sales numbers aren't.

Keep in mind that those are not only Japan numbers but Japan + overseas and HeroAca sells disproportinately well in the USA. If you account for this, actual circulation numbers for it in Japan (where comprasion can be made) are 37 millinon for 30 volumes, which is around 1,2 million per volume. And it has a recurring anime, many movies, games and a lot of promotion. Promised Neverland has 26 million with 20 volumes, which wields similar numbers (1,3 million/volume). Chainsawman has ~6 million with 11 volumes (~500k per volume) WITHOUT an anime.

As for the '30 million a few months ago', this most likely refers to Japan only numbers, which would make far more sense.

If you look at sales by year, HeroAca sold 5,8 million volumes in 2017, 6,7 million volumes in 2018, 5 million in 2019 and is back at ~6 million in 2020. I looked at more recent data and volumes 27 and 28 have increased in sales but are still below the peak for the series, which happened in volume 21. Interest in the series also seems to have peaked in 2018 but it's 2020 was better than what I remembered.

As for reception for the arcs, this might be bias, sure, but I don't really see nearly as much hype about this series as there used to be one or two years ago, either for the anime or for the manga. You don't see much strong discourse about it as there used to be a while ago and general opinion, from what I can gather, seems to veer towards it being really mid (which I also think it is, specially in the last few arcs and in how the series sidelined nearly all characters besides Bakugou, Midoriya and Todoroki).
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:38 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

Keep in mind that those are not only Japan numbers but Japan + overseas and HeroAca sells disproportinately well in the USA. If you account for this, actual circulation numbers for it in Japan (where comprasion can be made) are 37 millinon for 30 volumes, which is around 1,2 million per volume. And it has a recurring anime, many movies, games and a lot of promotion. Promised Neverland has 26 million with 20 volumes, which wields similar numbers (1,3 million/volume). Chainsawman has ~6 million with 11 volumes (~500k per volume) WITHOUT an anime.

As for the '30 million a few months ago', this most likely refers to Japan only numbers, which would make far more sense.

If you look at sales by year, HeroAca sold 5,8 million volumes in 2017, 6,7 million volumes in 2018, 5 million in 2019 and is back at ~6 million in 2020. I looked at more recent data and volumes 27 and 28 have increased in sales but are still below the peak for the series, which happened in volume 21. Interest in the series also seems to have peaked in 2018 but it's 2020 was better than what I remembered.

As for reception for the arcs, this might be bias, sure, but I don't really see nearly as much hype about this series as there used to be one or two years ago, either for the anime or for the manga. You don't see much strong discourse about it as there used to be a while ago and general opinion, from what I can gather, seems to veer towards it being really mid (which I also think it is, specially in the last few arcs and in how the series sidelined nearly all characters besides Bakugou, Midoriya and Todoroki).

That happens with every series, the hype just naturally dies down. Nothing is ever as popular when it first starts. Like it’s really bad to compare this to like Kimetsu no Yaiba and Jujutsu Kaisen because their anime’s just came out meaning they are at the top of their hype. They are effectively in the honeymoon period, same as when MHA and even Attack on Titan was in. Eventually it does down as the audience acclimates to it.

Even then I’m not sure where your getting info since where I go the discussions over recent events can get pretty intense and do center on characters beyond just the trio you mentioned.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:27 am Reply with quote
I'm happy for MHA's success but it would be nice to see a shojo manga reach this level of success.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:59 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

That happens with every series, the hype just naturally dies down. Nothing is ever as popular when it first starts. Like it’s really bad to compare this to like Kimetsu no Yaiba and Jujutsu Kaisen because their anime’s just came out meaning they are at the top of their hype. They are effectively in the honeymoon period, same as when MHA and even Attack on Titan was in. Eventually it does down as the audience acclimates to it.

Even then I’m not sure where your getting info since where I go the discussions over recent events can get pretty intense and do center on characters beyond just the trio you mentioned.

However worth nothing that even at the height of it popularity MHA still can't rack up number like Kimetsu, AoT and JJK.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:43 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that losing hype at this rate is necessarily the only way things happen. Some series do manage to hold steady for most of their publication period, even if they do dip, but HeroAca used to be The big thing just a couple of years ago but now they don't seem to talkabout the series in the same way. This is specially true outside of the anglosphere.

As for characters, I've read up to the end of the last arc and it's pretty glaring how much more attention the series gives to the core three. Uraraka's whole shtick lately is pretty much uvh "Girlene Deku likes, girl who likes Deku" and her main fight in the last arc was still about Deku. Iida doesn't exist, basically.

I was reading the last HeroAca arc at the same time as the last JJK arc (both being released at the same time and having similar developments) and its pretty impressive how bmuch better JJK was. Honestly, since spoiler[the reveal of the other superpowers] I've stopped feeling the manga, but this is just my opinion and far from hard data or anything g.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

No, it went from 30 to 37 million in Japan in three months. The 50 million is total worldwide sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1