• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Comics Appoints New VP of Product Development & Sales, New VP of Licensing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:56 am Reply with quote
Hopefully these two new appointments will greatly improve dh manga imprint to finally be improved from the woefully delayed volumes: Mob Psycho 100 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_Psycho_100#Volume_list really stupid delays between each vol when every other month as standard on single volumes, ain't like its in an omnibus format where three or four per book is fine), Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles (same issue too), etc;
hiatus or unknown future/licensure: The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service (amazon has page listing for omnibus 5 in dec 2022, though I have my doubts on that date too, also oop), MPD-Psycho (also oop) vol 12 onwards, Eromanga Sensei (damn you amazon for banning this and oreimo) vol 4 onwards, Gou Tanabe graphic novel of HP Lovecraft's story adaptation, etc;
or oop (digital is fine for lots of people, but physical is nice to have too): (New+) Lone Wolf and Cub, Samurai Executioner, Path of the Assassin, Crying Freeman, Lady Snowblood and anything else by Kazuo Koike, and anything else that is dhm oop
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote
dragonquiz wrote:
Eromanga Sensei (damn you amazon for banning this and oreimo) vol 4 onwards

I've become weary of Dark Horse due to their 'dropped' titles and lack of transparency in that regard. The one bright spot is they don't have a lot stuff I read, and in the case of Eromanga Sensei, both the novel and manga are being actively translated/scanlated (mangaupdates info on the manga is outdated, scanlation is up to chapter 76, novel translation is up to latest volume 12).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:25 am Reply with quote
I think Dark Horse is slowly getting out of the manga business. They haven't put out much in the last couple of years. You might as well give up on the out of print and on hiatus titles. I doubt they will be coming back.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah. I hope that at the least, they'll tell us when they drop series. As someone who started reading manga in the first place with stuff like MPD Psycho, it was frustrating to have releases almost stop after volume 9, then getting volume 10 two years later, and 11 three years after that. A firm cancellation at volume 9 would almost be preferable to leaving it up in the air like it has been.
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I think Dark Horse is slowly getting out of the manga business. They haven't put out much in the last couple of years. You might as well give up on the out of print and on hiatus titles. I doubt they will be coming back.

So then whats the deal with the 7" x 10" deluxe hardcover omnibus editions of Berserk, Hellsing and Blade of the Immortal? They might not be doing as much of manga licenses as of a few years ago (due to the recession and also the decline of manga of the time period), but with these two new people that might change and dark horse manga will come back in some form or another, as there's a few mangas that I read/have read on the off-side that would be perfect for dark horse to get its hands on it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
dragonquiz wrote:

So then whats the deal with the 7" x 10" deluxe hardcover omnibus editions of Berserk, Hellsing and Blade of the Immortal? They might not be doing as much of manga licenses as of a few years ago (due to the recession and also the decline of manga of the time period), but with these two new people that might change and dark horse manga will come back in some form or another, as there's a few mangas that I read/have read on the off-side that would be perfect for dark horse to get its hands on it.

That is just repackaging of existing licenses they know will sell. They have already done the work (translating, lettering and touch up) and just have to prepare them for the printer. Easy money and a proven track record.

All these changes in management are like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I doubt they will change anything concerning their manga output.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1