• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness CG Series' New Trailer Reveals More Cast, July 8 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, it seems that despite the new continuity and actors, RE4 still takes place. I wonder if Ashley will make an appearence, and if she looks like RE4's version of her.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Ohh, another of Brad’s final roles!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh jeez, Brad was in this?

Y'know, Ray Chase might've made a good Leon...

I feel like Billy Kametz' character is likely going to bite it.

It would be cool if we got an Ashley cameo.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:44 am Reply with quote
I'm not really an RE fan, but I have to say the RE animated movies are fun to watch.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Interesting, it seems that despite the new continuity and actors, RE4 still takes place. I wonder if Ashley will make an appearence, and if she looks like RE4's version of her.

The remakes of 2 and 3 are non-canon and in their own little universes. They're more like "what if?" re-imaginings.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:21 am Reply with quote
It looks a bit more sophisticated than usual and then bam. Another superlab and a talking Tyrant with a glowing weak point. Sure looks like a Capcom script.

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_Wiki:What_is_canon%3F
REmakes are equally canon as the original games and there is no united canon so Clair A/Leon B in RE2 1998 was never the true story. What isn´t canon are the condensed retelling in the Chronicles shooters (the new scenarios are canon), Operation Raccoon City and the media tie-ins released before RE4. The first canon stage play with Chris has a flashback that is from RE 1 and not REmake, a scene from Leon A is used in some other flashback (Clair B has no infection plot for Sherry), the canon Outbreak (RE7 and REmake 2 + 3 all have callbacks) changed the nuke to cruise missiles before REmake 3 changed it back, Umbrella exists in the world of Dino Crisis, etc. Capcom doesn´t care as the backstory of Blue Umbrella is explained in a Japan-only manual for an airsoft gun! Nor should they.
You would be crazy to buy a RE game for the plot. Even total trash like Survivor 1 or Umbrella Corps (not listed in the link for some reason) is confirmed to be canon. Don´t ask me if the basic scenario of Resistance was canon. Even Capcom seems confused and they have us believe that this is canon:
https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/MUSICAL_BIOHAZARD_~_Voice_of_Gaia_~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:39 am Reply with quote
The animation looks very impressive, though the story seems to be more focused on action instead of horror, more like RE6 than 7 and 8. Also, in the neutral spanish trailer Leon is voiced by the same actor who voiced him in Retribution and Vendetta, while Claire has the same voice actress from Afterlife and The Final Chapter, it kinda of hurts that Capcom does not dub their games into Neutral Spanish, they just dub them into European Spanish.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
The animation looks very impressive, though the story seems to be more focused on action instead of horror, more like RE6 than 7 and 8. Also, in the neutral spanish trailer Leon is voiced by the same actor who voiced him in Retribution and Vendetta, while Claire has the same voice actress from Afterlife and The Final Chapter, it kinda of hurts that Capcom does not dub their games into Neutral Spanish, they just dub them into European Spanish.

And most recently in Village, it got dubbed in Brazilian Portuguese.
Badcrazy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
RockSplash wrote:

The remakes of 2 and 3 are non-canon and in their own little universes. They're more like "what if?" re-imaginings.

Nothing in the remakes really changes anything major lore wise as all the core story beats are still there. With that said I can only assume when RE4R comes round it'll be remake verse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1