• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Jonah Scott Removed from Mr Love Queen's Choice Game Following Support of Taiw

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Good for them standing up for human rights. I wish all 3 good luck in the future.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
When Chinese companies does stuff like this over AN OPINION regardless if they are true or false (Outside of being destructive ex: racism)... just makes my blood boil! I neither agree or disagree with Mr. Scott’s opinion because I don’t fully understand the situation of Taiwan and China so it’s not my place to take sides! But firing someone because of this is just extremely inconsiderate and ignorant!

EDIT: Added clarification

Last edited by Sevokevo Royuki on Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing is so stupid. I mean, how can you stoop so low as to fire someone from a job just for saying that Taiwan is a country (Which it is! I don't know why some people claim it isn't!! Google says it is!!)? That just screams "I don't want you anywhere near me because you stating facts doesn't match my worldview" to me. Poor Jonah doesn't deserve to have to deal with this, and good on Sean and Joe for refusing to put up with that shit. If I were in Jonah's shoes, I'd want nothing to do with the game after being put through that.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
This pissed me off so much. There's nothing in those contracts that should even allow for something like this.

Good on those supporting Jonah by putting their money where their mouth is.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
This is exactly what scares me. People act like Chinese companies are just like every other country. Then stuff like this happens. Seeing stuff like this worries when Platinum or Marvelous games get a Chinese stake in them. Suda 51 makes very political games at times, and I hate the idea of stifling creativity in the act of censorship. I just hope this doesn't hurt Sean. I loved him as Legosi and Wily, so I hope he does not get blacklisted or anything, as he still was an up and coming voice. I hope this game goes out of business, as clearly this is money that is anything but clean.
Anoud

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Madness Confused
That's China for you.

Quote:
Throughout 2018, China stepped up pressure on international companies, forcing them to list Taiwan as a part of China on their websites and threatening to block them for doing business in China if they failed to comply.
Source
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just hope this doesn't hurt Sean. I loved him as Legosi and Wily, so I hope he does not get blacklisted or anything, as he still was an up and coming voice.

Sean doesn't play Legosi. Jonah Scott does.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for Jonah Scott. I'm glad his fellow VA's are supporting him.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
When Chinese companies does stuff like this over AN OPINION regardless if they are true or false... just makes my blood boil!

But you see my friend, in the quoted statements, it is expressly stated that Jonah Scott "released an online statement containing incorrect facts" because to them it is a fact that Taiwan is part of China. To them, he did not express an opinion, he stated something that was "factually untrue". Please remember who you are dealing with here. They live practically in another world with their "facts". You cannot expect them to hold the simplest or a shred of "common sense".

This is what happens people think they can sidestep the glaring elephant in the room or use the same investment risk assessment like anywhere else when doing business with PRC entities: that this is a party state .

You don't get to express "an opinion" like this. You are not even allowed to think this in your head in the first place if they had their way. How dare Jonah Scott say this out loud? Let alone on a public platform?

I don't really know how many times this kind of stuff has to happen for people to get it. Except I do know. People won't ever get it, they will continue as usual as they have done before, because, you know, it is all about the bucks, man. When it comes down to the wire most people don't actually care, do they?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
This whole thing is so stupid. I mean, how can you stoop so low as to fire someone from a job just for saying that Taiwan is a country (Which it is! I don't know why some people claim it isn't!! Google says it is!!)? That just screams "I don't want you anywhere near me because you stating facts doesn't match my worldview" to me.
That's... not what this is about. China doesn't care about what Scott thinks about Taiwan. They want to make sure the world is aware of China's power and that they can use that power to force people to say things that are untrue, or at least intimidate people away from saying truths that China doesn't want said. Every story like this, and every grovelling apology, is to establish that the "official" Chinese position on things is more important than the current reality, and no one has the power to stop it.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
FireChick wrote:
This whole thing is so stupid. I mean, how can you stoop so low as to fire someone from a job just for saying that Taiwan is a country (Which it is! I don't know why some people claim it isn't!! Google says it is!!)? That just screams "I don't want you anywhere near me because you stating facts doesn't match my worldview" to me.
That's... not what this is about. China doesn't care about what Scott thinks about Taiwan. They want to make sure the world is aware of China's power and that they can use that power to force people to say things that are untrue, or at least intimidate people away from saying truths that China doesn't want said. Every story like this, and every grovelling apology, is to establish that the "official" Chinese position on things is more important than the current reality, and no one has the power to stop it.

That still doesn't make what the MLQC team did to Jonah right, though.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Of course not. But it's not wrong in the sense of "that's a jerk move," it's wrong in the sense of "this is part of our plan for getting away with genocide."
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
When Chinese companies does stuff like this over AN OPINION regardless if they are true or false... just makes my blood boil! I neither agree or disagree with Mr. Scott’s opinion because I don’t fully understand the situation of Taiwan and China so it’s not my place to take sides! But firing someone because of this is just extremely inconsiderate and ignorant!

It isn't just Chinese companies. Post something horribly racist on social media, and you'll probably see negative impacts on your career in the US. Maybe you don't see it, but some in China consider that comment to be incredibly offensive. Personally, I think that both this and the example from the article are part of how you build your personal brand, and it is absolutely fair for employers to consider someone's personal brand regarding employment.

That said, I don't think the US should bend to the whim of the Chinese market, and I am happy to hear that Jonah's peers are supporting him on this.

FireChick wrote:
(Which it is! I don't know why some people claim it isn't!! Google says it is!!)

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... If you are not, then you need to do a better google search so that you understand the underlying issue.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
It's also completely fair for people to respond to employers saying "we don't want racists" differently than to employers saying "we don't want people who say anything against the party line that we use to justify oppression, dictatorship, and genocide." Treating this as a comparable case of "well, I guess you just shouldn't say things the audience doesn't like" is exactly the kind of distraction from the moral cost we take on when we tolerate it that they want us to chase.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
When Chinese companies does stuff like this over AN OPINION regardless if they are true or false... just makes my blood boil! I neither agree or disagree with Mr. Scott’s opinion because I don’t fully understand the situation of Taiwan and China so it’s not my place to take sides! But firing someone because of this is just extremely inconsiderate and ignorant!

It isn't just Chinese companies. Post something horribly racist on social media, and you'll probably see negative impacts on your career in the US. Maybe you don't see it, but some in China consider that comment to be incredibly offensive. Personally, I think that both this and the example from the article are part of how you build your personal brand, and it is absolutely fair for employers to consider someone's personal brand regarding employment.

That said, I don't think the US should bend to the whim of the Chinese market, and I am happy to hear that Jonah's peers are supporting him on this.

Now when you post a opinion that's racist and stuff like that.. I can see make since... BUT NOT THIS! He said Taiwan is a Country.... PERFECTLY OK of a Opinion. And yet you lose your position because of something that was said like here...

Yes I should of clarified that a opinion is ok as long as it is NOT destructive as to when it comes to racism or anything like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4