Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Spring Fake




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TranceLimit174



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Posts: 900
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm terribly sorry for your loss and you have my condolences. As someone who has been through similar circumstances, I know how heart-breaking it is. Thank you for having the strength to still deliver a column this week for our reading pleasure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 28 Oct 2018
Posts: 192
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm sure you made them very happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northlander



Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 860
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
My condolences for your cat. At least 17 years is a pretty decent age for a kitty to reach.

As far as EPIGRAsm and your comment on that; don't forget that the Americans were the ones who unintentionally amused a great deal of Norwegians (and possibly also other Scandinaves) with "Knull is Coming". Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Millhi



Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 97
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about your loss. My condolences.



re imas fighting game april fools, Iori is in fact playable in theater days! (all of the ogs are)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Juno016



Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 2120
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Sincere condolesces on your buddy. I lost my lifelong kitty best friend upon graduating from college and it took me 8 years to finally feel comfortable inviting a new kitty friend into my life. Now I have rescued disabled elderly cats who no one else would take and I'm giving back. Really helps with the therapy. <3

Millhi wrote:
re imas fighting game april fools, Iori is in fact playable in theater days! (all of the ogs are)


I think he meant in the fighting game. I got super excited logging in, only to find out none of my top 3 favorite characters made the cut. "Coming soon" was a lie!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4651
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
PlayStation Studios has published a game that's free on Xbox Game Pass but full price on PlayStation.


Sidebar here.

Gamepass games are only free and playable so long as they're on the service (which they're all not). Meaning that while the MLB The Show is free on the service now it won't be there indefinitely.

Quote:

It's hard to really understand what Sony's plan is right now – PS5s are still impossible to get, they're killing off access to older games and platforms,


Like Nintendo and Microsoft as well (the latter of whom still haven't addressed an issue with the One where old Xbox 360 games you've paid for and downloaded get removed from your library) along with some old games not yet being compatible with that system.


Quote:
I feel like Sony gutting their most historically-important development teams is probably not a solution to the issues they're facing and a generally bad PR move overall,


Even with it being clear why they're doing this is still going to create bad optics for "some" people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zimmer



Joined: 08 Jul 2015
Posts: 96
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Think that's meant to be quarter-century, not decade.

Also just a reminder that everyone should look into the PS3 cmos battery problem with digital content. Do you trust Sony not to remove the ability to connect a PS3 to authenticate it?
https://in.ign.com/ps3/156762/news/ps3-drm-kills-digital-games-ps4-discs-report
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Borderite92



Joined: 20 Apr 2015
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I had to take care of my calico 18 months ago after she developed Hyper and became very arthritic. Have since adopted a very energetic flame point siamese.

Now disappointed by the eventual shutdown of Dragon quest of the stars mobile game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChimeyChime



Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 61
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:17 am Reply with quote
Awww man... I'm so sorry for your loss. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14203
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:42 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The PS3, PSP, and PS Vita store shutdown was indeed confirmed


Ironically, many of those old and classic games effectively would become Xbox or Nintendo de facto exclusives - thus Sony are giving them exclusives


Murder, She wrote:

He's forming a new studio called EPIGRasm.


Epic Orgasm? People could get behind that


BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:

PlayStation Studios has published a game that's free on Xbox Game Pass but full price on PlayStation.

Gamepass games are only free and playable so long as they're on the service (which they're all not). Meaning that while the MLB The Show is free on the service now it won't be there indefinitely.


Yeah, but for sports games that has a new release every year, it makes even more sense. Think about it - ya don't want a 2021 sports game indefinitely when next year comes along, because you'd want to play the 2022 version instead (every year new changes: team rosters, player stats, new rookies, etc.) Not to mention having to fork over $70 for the new game every year


BadNewsBlues wrote:

Like Nintendo and Microsoft as well (the latter of whom still haven't addressed an issue with the One where old Xbox 360 games you've paid for and downloaded get removed from your library) along with some old games not yet being compatible with that system.


Fortunately, no one I know has run into the problem of losing games in their libraries

And not all old games could be made compatible with current systems because of legal issues - they'd have to get permissions from the rights-holders first, if they can even track down whomever owns the rights (some no longer exist; some don't even know what they own; some don't care about their old games anymore)

Anyways, GamesIndustry even made a piece about this:
Quote:
Sony isn't above diving into players' nostalgia when it suits it, of course. Surprisingly excellent PS5 bundled title Astro's Playroom is essentially a warm blanket of PlayStation nostalgia from start to finish... Sony seems keen enough on the idea of reminding players of the existence of PlayStation's history; it just doesn't see the value in actually doing the work to preserve that history in any meaningful way.

None of this, however, is sufficient excuse for Sony's lack of interest in preserving its own back catalogue. Much of the problem, I suspect, is that Sony views this exclusively as a commercial decision, and has little or no interest in the idea that it has a cultural responsibility to the medium it profited from so handsomely


It's even worse for some Vita developers Sony threw under the bus (well, Sony already threw Vita itself under the bus, so....) But it's still a d-move to those who dedicatedly supported their product even after they had given up on it. That's already sunk development cost to the developers that won't be recovered

"Some PS Vita Games Have Been Cancelled As Not All Devs Were Told About Store Closure In Time"
Quote:
A number of PlayStation Vita game developers were not informed of Sony‘s plans to close the PS Vita store this summer, and as a result have been forced to cancel projects currently in production. The PS Vita store is shutting its doors last in August following the PS3 and PSP store closure.

Twin Breaker developer Lillymo Games is one of the studios that were “finding out at the same time as we are” regarding the store closure, and as such, their next project has been cancelled on Sony’s handheld as “the store will be closed before our next game is ready.”

While some games have been cancelled outright, other developers are having to seriously crunch to get their projects finished in time, according to Patrick Klepek of Waypoint.

PS Vita doesn’t have that physical option, as its cartridges were give the chop in 2018.


Last edited by enurtsol on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatMoonGuy



Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Posts: 290
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:54 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry for your loss. I personally know how hard it is to make such a decision.

As for the news, The continuous departures from Sony and the recent trailers they've put out clearly make the PlayStation a more western focused console. Which is a shame. PS1-PS3 housed some of the most creative games from Japan, small, odd RPGs and strange horror games that gave birth to some incredible ideas. I think many of those may end up moving to the Switch which will end up becoming the new PS2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elric4985



Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I guess we're never getting Virtua Fighter 6 then
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1965
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:


Anyways, GamesIndustry even made a piece about this:
Quote:
Sony isn't above diving into players' nostalgia when it suits it, of course. Surprisingly excellent PS5 bundled title Astro's Playroom is essentially a warm blanket of PlayStation nostalgia from start to finish... Sony seems keen enough on the idea of reminding players of the existence of PlayStation's history; it just doesn't see the value in actually doing the work to preserve that history in any meaningful way.

None of this, however, is sufficient excuse for Sony's lack of interest in preserving its own back catalogue. Much of the problem, I suspect, is that Sony views this exclusively as a commercial decision, and has little or no interest in the idea that it has a cultural responsibility to the medium it profited from so handsomely


It's even worse for some Vita developers Sony threw under the bus (well, Sony already threw Vita itself under the bus, so....) But it's still a d-move to those who dedicatedly supported their product even after they had given up on it. That's already sunk development cost to the developers that won't be recovered

"Some PS Vita Games Have Been Cancelled As Not All Devs Were Told About Store Closure In Time"
Quote:
A number of PlayStation Vita game developers were not informed of Sony‘s plans to close the PS Vita store this summer, and as a result have been forced to cancel projects currently in production. The PS Vita store is shutting its doors last in August following the PS3 and PSP store closure.

Twin Breaker developer Lillymo Games is one of the studios that were “finding out at the same time as we are” regarding the store closure, and as such, their next project has been cancelled on Sony’s handheld as “the store will be closed before our next game is ready.”

While some games have been cancelled outright, other developers are having to seriously crunch to get their projects finished in time, according to Patrick Klepek of Waypoint.

PS Vita doesn’t have that physical option, as its cartridges were give the chop in 2018.


Yeah, that's the biggest problem with Sony's decision here: they clearly want to have it both ways with trying to impact culture, but then just shutting stuff down for arbitrary reasons despite the fact that the PS1 and PS2 eras were by far their most important and impactful to the medium where a lot of cultural history is. This is exactly the same problem that the film industry was forced to confront when entire swathes of film history was lost due to the idea that film was disposable. It is vitally important to preserve everything about games, whether in physical copies or in their code.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4651
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Yeah, but for sports games that has a new release every year, it makes even more sense. Think about it - ya don't want a 2021 sports game indefinitely when next year comes along, because you'd want to play the 2022 version instead (every year new changes: team rosters, player stats, new rookies, etc.) Not to mention having to fork over $70 for the new game every year


Actually the fact that sports games come out every year largely the same with few changes and with the same exact pricing are pretty much the most well known criticisms of them from detractors. This isn't going to change that criticism much. And from what I've been studying The Show has had server problems with their games for years which is not something you want to have wrong with this kind of game.



enurtsol wrote:
Fortunately, no one I know has run into the problem of losing games in their libraries

And not all old games could be made compatible with current systems because of legal issues - they'd have to get permissions from the rights-holders first,


Oh I get that especially with stuff like TMNT Arcade game but how is it that other games like Dead Or Alive 5 or even Tekken 6 on the Xbox 360 are on the list of 360 Discs that are unplayable on the One yet they're still up on the digital storefront (don't know if they're playable via that method but still)?

Let's not even speak about DLC for 360 games not always being compatible either.


enurtsol wrote:
and has little or no interest in the idea that it has a cultural responsibility to the medium it profited from so handsomely[/i]


Sometimes :S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tywolcot



Joined: 18 Jun 2021
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:27 am Reply with quote
I am so sorry for your loss. The pain of losing a pet is unbearable. I know how it feels, especially how you lost yours. Now my game time in these types of games is reducing. I don't play my ps3 that much, and that's why I'm signing out of my gaming forums. These days, I play games for money, so I don't have much time for other games. And the main reason is that these games are mostly android games. God knows I was never a fan of android games, but now that I earn through it, I play them all day. if you're curious about the money, the money isn't much for the ca
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group