• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Death end re;Quest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma55

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how it was reasonable to be skeptical of Idea Factory when you based their quality on what was basically a Neptune spinoff game and Death Under the Labyrinth... They have made much better games than those as you now see after playing one of their better games.
Lobo The Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Myles, I'm so sorry you lost a bunch of time to the dialogue options. It doesn't really help you now, but you can actually save during almost every dialogue option and almost any time during the visual novel segments. There's really only one you can't and it's just after a boss battle so they expected you to save just before that one.

Saving during dialogue is basically a must have feature in visual novels so they just assumed everyone who was playing would know what's up when a dialogue choice pops up. Definitely rough to lose that kinda progress to those things when you don't know about a mechanic. Can't fault you for being upset by it.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review, with such a frustrating and misleading game it's easy to be lead to disdain wrongly even though it's actually a hidden gem.

At some point during development, i remember reading somewhere that it was going to be a brain teaser, back then i thought "Well i'm use to Compile Heart's shenanigans with the NeptuniaS, the Agarests, Omega Quintet, Fairy Fencer F and many more where a single choice early game can lead to disaster much later", or so i thought ... even beating Omega Quintet in its highest difficulty with those horribles Order Break was like taking candy from a baby compared to walking through both Death end re;Quest games .

The slap in the face was much stronger than expected, the 1st and 2nd Death end re;Quest are respectively top 1&2 in my "most deadend reached in a game" list, they literally want you to face deaths and they excel at it with certainty, hence the game title.

I spent many hours feeling trapped in a cycle of deaths like Furude Rika wondering where i went wrong not wanting to read a walkthrought nor dropping because i can't stand either. Back then, if anyone told me that i would start a new game+ for a 100% completion, the following wry smile would have been memorable.

And yet i did it because there was no stopping the curiosity and the frustration after every Death Ends, wanting to beat the game and save the characters ( which for me were all extremely lovable ) was an obsession and it carried throught the whole time.

Long story short, prepare yourself before aventuring in those games and you will not regret it, you might want to shout Pain Peko though.

PS : Idea Factory, just request any studio for an animation already !
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I just picked this up on a sale, but I've got my doubts already. In the opening area, the main character has a "heavy breathing" noise that intermittently and frequently overtakes the audio as they're running. She also says the same annoying two phrases everytime you approach and open a chest - which is super noticeable at the beginning of the game where there are a bunch right in a row. It's the lack of attention to detail - right at the beginning - that is alarming, and I don't mind visual novels.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
It'd be nice if game reviews in the future could mention what system they're playing on, and if there are any noticeable frame rate drops or bugs while playing, if applicable. I assume this was played on the Switch? Since the PS4 version (and its sequel!) has been out for some time.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:52 am Reply with quote
Current day Idea Factory/Compile Heart is chock full of interesting ideas and concepts, and sorely lacking in polish. And often slathered in fanservice. I can put up with the oddity and irritation to get to the interesting premises, but I can't blame others for being less enthusiastic for it.

I do feel like this game's plot particularly jumps the shark at the end, and the actual gameplay just isn't terribly enthralling. But its rather unique in what it offers. I enjoyed it, and was glad it was shorter than a traditional "full rpg". Still need to play the sequel.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
It'd be nice if game reviews in the future could mention what system they're playing on, and if there are any noticeable frame rate drops or bugs while playing, if applicable. I assume this was played on the Switch? Since the PS4 version (and its sequel!) has been out for some time.

It was played on the Switch, and the thing you're requesting was included in Myles last review that went up a week or so ago.

http://4NN.cx/.174513
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Suxinn wrote:

It was played on the Switch, and the thing you're requesting was included in Myles last review that went up a week or so ago.

http://4NN.cx/.174513

Thanks for the confirmation that it's the Switch version.

And, yeah, I did read Myles's review on No More Heroes. But since system information wasn't mentioned here (and game reviews are naturally sparser on ANN, so I didn't recall if it was standard to mention it or not), I thought I'd bring it up, though now I guess it was just an oversight because there was no issues with the port? Still, would've been nice to know.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:31 am Reply with quote
@Myles B4 I say anything, I'd like to know why you used a DERQ2 picture in the review for the DERQ1 game the review is based on?

As was said, Iffy's games are WAY better quality than the two you listed. You played a spin off Nep game and their quality is iffy at best (Good or bad) but the main series' game play is where its always at (Though R;2's story was bad, but the other main series games are great on all fronts)

Here is some advice from Neptune herself: It's important to save often!
As was said, you should've been saving so sorry but that backtracking wasn't the game's fault, and in fact, the game was market'd as you WANT to get death ends. Not only is there a legit reason story wise u want to do this (Which sadly can easily be missed as its an ending thats not a death end but explains a ton, thankfully the prompt is easy to know as its when u'r asked to help if u've met the conditions to advance, if u don't help u get this ending, if u do then u miss the ending bt utilizing save slots allows u to do both without losing prog) and in addition, u get bonus items that help u out on all ur save files.

I also want to point out that the objective for what to do next is in the game, i forget where, mighta been on the world map but tis in the game and the only 2 times where u may've had issues with the game and not knowing what to do next would've been finding a key despite knowing u need to find it as there's 2 hidden keys that don't stand out well and easily missed. The other is in the poor explanation for how and why enemies could counter attack u and how to get around it. (They fixed this for the sequel game btw) but if u know how that works (and a quick search online will tell ya how it works) then its not an issue, otherwise yes its a frustrating issue.

On the matter of the story being VN... that's because it IS a VN. Like the death end part, it was market'd as being a VN and JRPG fused together (I forget Iffy's wording on it) and the story is what SELLS this game for me, am not a book reader, rarely play VN but this is by far one of my most fav stories, even if I did 100% the 1st and 2nd DERQ games and read the 1.5 VN and can see some plot holes with the story that I highly doubt a 3rd or future DERQ games will fix, its still largely and mostly, a near master piece of a story imo and i agree no one shuld shrug this one off and just give it a chance. lol

A nice review, just wish u wouldn't fault the game in the areas u faulted it at when thats not the game's fault for most of what u mentioned.

Ranemoraken wrote:
I just picked this up on a sale, but I've got my doubts already. In the opening area, the main character has a "heavy breathing" noise that intermittently and frequently overtakes the audio as they're running. She also says the same annoying two phrases everytime you approach and open a chest - which is super noticeable at the beginning of the game where there are a bunch right in a row. It's the lack of attention to detail - right at the beginning - that is alarming, and I don't mind visual novels.
If it helps, I too was annoyed at the heavy breathing when u run, but as u play u kinda get used to it/don't pay attention to it, basically t becomes BGM to u that doesn't bother u lol Didn't notice the cheat thing, not a big deal though and I assure u the game is well worth playing. So many twists and turns~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1