• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Cels Enter the NFT Marketplace

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
So, they are selling things they don't technically have the rights to, and their name is only one character away from 'Yakuza'?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
NFT = Nuke Future Temperatures, another terrible energy-wasting idea for the environment and the climate. Just like cryptocurrencies, blockchain, and the like.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
So instead of buying an actual cel, you just buy a digital copy of it that anyone can get for free?
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
orz
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Come on boys and girls-can you say digital artifacts?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so...I'm confused. They're selling the scans of the cels or the actual, original cel?

If it's the former, how can they do that? I own cels. I have scans of them online. So now a company is going to take the scan of my cel, sell it and I'll have to potentially deal with a future owner informing me that they own the scan of my cel and therefore I can't display the scan of an item I physically own online?
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Ok, so...I'm confused. They're selling the scans of the cels or the actual, original cel?

If it's the former, how can they do that? I own cels. I have scans of them online. So now a company is going to take the scan of my cel, sell it and I'll have to potentially deal with a future owner informing me that they own the scan of my cel and therefore I can't display the scan of an item I physically own online?

they are selling links to jpegs of the original cels.

yes, it's exactly as stupid as that sounds
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

No no no, it's much stupider than that. NFTs are a big "you did it" certificate saying you own a thing. But you don't actually own that thing, you just own the certificate saying you own the thing.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
No no no, it's much stupider than that. NFTs are a big "you did it" certificate saying you own a thing. But you don't actually own that thing, you just own the certificate saying you own the thing.

How does that have any legal merit? I can't print out a picture of a house with the caption "I own this" and then show up there and expect its current over to hand over the keys.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:

How does that have any legal merit? I can't print out a picture of a house with the caption "I own this" and then show up there and expect its current over to hand over the keys.

That's the thing, it doesn't have any legal merit or even mean anything in reality. The way someone described it to me was if there was a sticky note in a broom closet of the Louvre saying "XYZ owns the Mona Lisa" and you got a printout from the gift shop.

Then there's the whole destroying the environment aspect to it as well.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Ain't late-stage capitalism grand?!
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:48 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
The actual thing... they cannot do that without the proof of ownership rights or any allowance from the actual rights holder to do that, because by any other means that is an easy copyright infringement case - and in fact, many companies warn people to not use their copyright material (like character art) to do that.

Also, NFT certification does not transfer any actual ownership rights to the future owner, so it doesn't mean you can just display the scan of cel any way even after you sell the NFT - like said before, by its current flawed system without any law support it's just nothing but the glorified "I own this" paper, that not actually have any actual rights tied to it.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:38 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, the people who actually drew the cels don't get to see a single yen out of this.

Amazing.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Rakuza admits that it has not obtained express permission for the transactions from the copyright owners of these anime cels

So essentially they're pirating JPGs. I see.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:55 am Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
Quote:
Rakuza admits that it has not obtained express permission for the transactions from the copyright owners of these anime cels

So essentially they're pirating JPGs. I see.

It gets better: these cels are scans, so there exists an original version of each one. So what these guys are saying is: "So we have all these amazing, unique cels, and now you can buy exclusive ownership of... the scan of them. Not the original, physical cel that is the actually valuable item. You won't get that. You can pay for owning this scan of it that we made for you."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2