• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie to Screen Again in U.S. Theaters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HikariGo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I ever realised that Yu-Gi-Oh! The Pyramid of Light was a US production, I actually quite enjoyed the movie when I was younger, if I am remembering correctly. Still have the DVD somewhere.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
^ I mean...a 5 second google search that takes you to the movies wikipedia page tells you that at the beginning.

Quote:
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Pyramid of Light, later released in Japan as Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: Pyramid of Light, or simply Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Movie, is a 2004 American animated adventure fantasy film produced by 4Kids Entertainment

Yeah, I still have my DVD somewhere as well. If I ever find it, I'll throw it out.

Anyway, what a weird choice. You'd think they'd show the "technological enhanced" movie to go with the VRAINS. Guess they took the run time into account. Remove the extra 40 minutes from TDSoD compared to this movie and you can use VRAINS to fill that spot.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
^ I mean...a 5 second google search that takes you to the movies wikipedia page tells you that at the beginning.

As a kid why would I have bothered looking up on Wikipedia to see who produced the film?
I just presumed it was made in Japan and English Dubbed, just like the Pokemon movies I saw in theatres when I was younger were.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
>VRAINS dub

I guess that explains why we don't have the CR stream in Canada. Hopefully, its better the Arc V dub.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I remember being impressed about with the Yugioh movie was being surprised at how 4Kids was suddenly loose with the censorship in this film. It was always weird 4Kids randomly had no problems with Pegasus drinking wine or actually referencing death in the Yugioh movie when they were extremely restrictive about this content in the dub of the TV series. Otherwise even though I enjoy Yugioh a lot, I never got into the Yugioh movie as much as I did the Pokemon movies or Digimon The Movie.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The one thing I remember being impressed about with the Yugioh movie was being surprised at how 4Kids was suddenly loose with the censorship in this film. It was always weird 4Kids randomly had no problems with Pegasus drinking wine or actually referencing death in the Yugioh movie when they were extremely restrictive about this content in the dub of the TV series.

I would assume a percentage of that was necessary to get it on Kids WB at the time, though weather everything they did was necessary is another debate. I was always amused they this movie was was less censored than the show but they still dubbed one of the monster attacks 'Mudlust slash' though.

I'm really surprised that Vrains is getting dubbed since Arc-V had almost no support in the US until... just now really. I guess it must be doing well enough elsewhere?
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I have good memories of watching Yu-Gi-Oh! The Pyramid of Light when it first premiered in theaters. But it's the one Yugioh movie that didn't hold up for me after a rewatch, so I think I'll skip out on this. I'll buy it if they release it on Blu-Ray though, especially if they include the Japanese version. The Japanese version is actually longer than the English version, so it would be cool to finally see an official sub release of it.

Curious to see how VRains dub turns out. But I'm not exactly optimistic after Arc-V's dub. (especially since VRains reminds me of 5D's, which got the worst Yugioh dub)

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The one thing I remember being impressed about with the Yugioh movie was being surprised at how 4Kids was suddenly loose with the censorship in this film. It was always weird 4Kids randomly had no problems with Pegasus drinking wine or actually referencing death in the Yugioh movie when they were extremely restrictive about this content in the dub of the TV series. Otherwise even though I enjoy Yugioh a lot, I never got into the Yugioh movie as much as I did the Pokemon movies or Digimon The Movie.

4Kids has always done a better job with their movie dubs than their series dubs, for some reason. Like most of the Pokemon movie dubs include the Japanese score, and they never edit the content they always edit in their series dubs.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I have good memories of watching Yu-Gi-Oh! The Pyramid of Light when it first premiered in theaters. But it's the one Yugioh movie that didn't hold up for me after a rewatch, so I think I'll skip out on this. I'll buy it if they release it on Blu-Ray though, especially if they include the Japanese version. The Japanese version is actually longer than the English version, so it would be cool to finally see an official sub release of it.
Yugioh The Movie just feels too much like a typical anime filler in movie and I usually actually like those types of anime movies. But like the Pokemon movies you get to explore more of the Pokemon world, you get to see the big legendary Pokemon, and they usually go all out with the animation budget, so the Pokemon movies always feel more like a big special event that you look forward to every year. Digimon The Movie I like it mainly for the humor and nostalgia for the dub voice cast and music. But Yugioh The Movie just feels too typical and safe and doesn't try anything special with itself. Like if it at least had higher quality animation to be impressed by that would at least give the viewer a reason to revisit it at some point. It was also always kind of weird how the movie's prologue completely retfconned Yugi's origin story from the series. I would also totally buy the BD though if they included the extended Japanese cut of the film. Since they recently were able to reunite the original dub cast for the anniversary movie, ideally I would love for 4K to dub the extended cut with a more faithful translation.

Quote:
4Kids has always done a better job with their movie dubs than their series dubs, for some reason. Like most of the Pokemon movie dubs include the Japanese score, and they never edit the content they always edit in their series dubs.
There seems to be this weird double standard for animated movies versus animated TV series in general. Like parents seem to generally be more accepting of having death and violence in G rated Disney movies than they are with Saturday morning animated series.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Most of the censorship of anime you'd see on TV is actually due to the TV networks. That's what lead to stuff like Cardcaptors being mostly faithful when shown in the UK, but cut up with episodes missing and reordered in the US.
The movie dubs for the newer yugioh movies are completely uncut and even have the JP versions on the disc.

It's actually kind of funny watching 4kids make press statements. They always seem so exasperated (especially when they announced that they weren't allowed to finish season 4 of GX Laughing).

Last edited by Puniyo on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Anyway, what a weird choice. You'd think they'd show the "technological enhanced" movie to go with the VRAINS. Guess they took the run time into account. Remove the extra 40 minutes from TDSoD compared to this movie and you can use VRAINS to fill that spot.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. DSoD got two theatrical runs in the US last year, both dubbed and subbed. Those obviously did well, so 4K is trying to capitalize with running a different movie.

I guess they could've gone with BBT, but that was a short crossover anniversary film that was produced before Zexal and the rest. At least they can run Pyramid of Light as kind of a standalone throwback with the VRAINS preview as incentive to not just dig up an old DVD.

Capsule Monsters double feature when. Laughing
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Huh... This is unexpected, but great. And a showing 15 minutes from home? Score!
Just need to convince the husband to go... I have my doubts I can convince him to take me to two movies in the same month that he has no interest in, but hey, I can try. Razz

I hadn't seen this movie in a long while, despite owning it on DVD, so I'm sure seeing the dub again would be a trip!
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
>VRAINS dub

I guess that explains why we don't have the CR stream in Canada. Hopefully, its better the Arc V dub.
English dubs for yugioh series tend to be pretty bad. you're better off going Japanese no matter what incarnation
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Pyramid of Light was so bad it was good Laughing
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:17 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Curious to see how VRains dub turns out. But I'm not exactly optimistic after Arc-V's dub. (especially since VRains reminds me of 5D's, which got the worst Yugioh dub)

5D's got the least butchered dub, actually. GX had the worst since they turned it into essentially a gag dub. DM, Zexal, 5D's, and ARCV are just all around standardly terrible. I expect VRAINS to be no different

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I wouldn't say that. Granted, I've only seen their Pokemon dubs, but there are quite a number of music changes, dialog changes and censoring. I assure you the original movies had no Britney Spears, NSync, or Weird Al music in them

I never watched Pyramid of Light given it was US made/non canon, and my friends tell me it was horrible, but apparently in movies they're allowed to use actual cards rather than those ugly stretched pictures like in all the TV dubs, although the censored American art I would assume.

-Stuart Smith
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 am Reply with quote
HikariGo wrote:
As a kid why would I have bothered looking up on Wikipedia to see who produced the film?

Um... are you forgetting that you said this:

HikariGo wrote:
I don't think I ever realised that Yu-Gi-Oh! The Pyramid of Light was a US production, I actually quite enjoyed the movie when I was younger, if I am remembering correctly. Still have the DVD somewhere.

? Idea The movie came out in 2004. We are now in 2018. You had 14 years to look it up.

Of course, it'd be weird that you structured your opening sentence like that to an article that mentions that the film was US produced and it didn't pertain to your current self, but rather your kid self.

Primus wrote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at with this.

Well, I said what I said pretty clearly. I can't clarify further than that. Laughing
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2