• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Fena More 'Princess' Than 'Pirate'?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Thank you! As much as I like Fena for what it's trying to do, this is my biggest issue with the anime: Fena as a character isn't allowed to be anything except a prop for the other characters to carry around! Why not let her stand on her own two feet for once?! Seriously, when a popular kid's anime (Pretty Cure) understands girls and respects their agency and autonomy better than most teenager-aimed anime do, you dun screwed up hard. And it's sad to say, because I do like Fena as a show! I just feel sad that it feels like it's just throwing ideas in a blender without trying to actually make them work.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the article or seen this show. I just want to say that I hate the word "princess" for a female character who has no agency. A princess is a position of power. Yona is a princess. There's a Pretty Cure Season called Go! Princess Pretty Cure (which I'm still waiting for legal streaming).

To me, a princess is a hero of light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Wished they had leaned into comedy shots less for the first episode. While the animation itself might have been solid, it felt like incredibly poor direction. Specifically it felt like a case of a Western producer coming in and saying "anime is all about wacky faces, make sure there's at least one funny face every 10 seconds so people know this is anime".
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I have only seen the first episode of this, but the moment Fena went: "Please save me male love interest I haven't seen in ten years from a situation I got myself into mostly because of my own stupidity!" was the moment I knew I wouldn't follow it. This, combined to the fact that r@pe attempts are played for laughs. There was nothing humorous or adventurous about Fena's situation, and her frivolousness about it just adds insult to injury. This is also very similar to Singeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul, one of the most disappointing series I've ever come across. This column just convinced me not to give it another shot so I'm glad I made the right decision for me at least this time.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Like imagine a version where Fena gets picked up by these ladies and goes on madcap adventures with them instead of six dudes in stealth armor.

Pretty much, the show currently feel like the most boring version of the story we could have gotten. They ridiculously jumped the gun with Fena cutting her hair episode 2 considering she then spend the other 5 (and counting) episodes doing nothing except being carried around to act as a McGuffin. The O malley pirates are fun, but the show can't seem to accept female character doing something that's not related to getting in a male character pants, so they just do Abel bidding until they're not needed anymore and then become jealous shrill that get toss aside, they don't even get a cool fight scene.

It's still an okay show, like C+, but it could have been so much more.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Fena seemed pretty interesting from the PV, but after the premiere I ultimately decided to just wait until it wraps up to see if there would be any audience buzz later down the line. So who knows, I may revisit it!

Also fully seconding all the "Yona Season 2 When?" wishes, even if a sequel couldn't hope to catch up with the (still currently running) manga.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Damn so much negativity. I guess I'll be the first to say that I've been really enjoying the series lol. Maybe it's me being jaded from so many useless female protagonists (sideeyes Chizuru from Hakuoki) but Fena actually having a personality (even if she hasn't done much yet) makes her unique enough for me. I've also really been loving the main cast. Haven't had a chance to see episode 7 yet though.

I will agree that Yona season 2 is absolutely needed though, please!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Dude. Dudette. You have watched so many anime for this site. How are you immediately accepting the lady pirate crew's apparent deaths when anime logic 101 dictates the possibility still exists that they could very well still be alive, especially considering we didn't see any of the named ones' corpses among what bodies they bothered to show? Hell, the only body we saw among them that was female was one whose only purpose was for Yukimaru to mistake for Fena for a few seconds.

But yeah, while your nitpicks are reasonable and understandable, I'm still enjoying the show for what it is and am looking forward to seeing what they do in the last five.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I find Yukimaru constantly rescuing Fena a lot more bearable if I just imagine he's Fena's Stand. Like he always just pops up whenever she yells for him, she just needs to lean into it and strike some poses while he whooshes around and kills enemies.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm feeling a bit ignored. Lately no one's been commenting on any of my posts on this site.
I do want to talk and have a discussion as long it's not mean-spirited or anything. I'm open to hearing opinions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
I find Yukimaru constantly rescuing Fena a lot more bearable if I just imagine he's Fena's Stand. Like he always just pops up whenever she yells for him, she just needs to lean into it and strike some poses while he whooshes around and kills enemies.

I never knew I needed this so much until right now. It would completely fit with both of their personalities, too.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Damn so much negativity. I guess I'll be the first to say that I've been really enjoying the series lol. Maybe it's me being jaded from so many useless female protagonists (sideeyes Chizuru from Hakuoki) but Fena actually having a personality (even if she hasn't done much yet) makes her unique enough for me. I've also really been loving the main cast. Haven't had a chance to see episode 7 yet though.

I will agree that Yona season 2 is absolutely needed though, please!

I'm with you. Could Fena get more to do? Yeah, absolutely. Are there elements that could be paced or fleshed-out better? Probably. But I'm still genuinely enjoying it, I think the cast is fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing where things go next.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy this kind of show but with all the arrows and bullets flying around in the last episode I kinda wish the show would empathize character building more over pointless violence.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I haven't read the article or seen this show. I just want to say that I hate the word "princess" for a female character who has no agency. A princess is a position of power. Yona is a princess. There's a Pretty Cure Season called Go! Princess Pretty Cure (which I'm still waiting for legal streaming).

To me, a princess is a hero of light.

That's a really interesting point, and I think it comes from most canonical (as in known by the majority) fairy tales featuring passive princesses. I tend to use "damsel" rather than "princess," because you're right, technically it is a position of power. But because of versions of folklore made popular by the Brothers Grimm and Walt Disney, we associate "princess" with characters like Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella and the best-known variants where they just get things handed to them for being passive and pretty. (I'm grossly simplifying them, of course, and I just spent an entire class discussing how Sleeping Beauty is of necessity active to find the spindle/flax and gets punished for it with proper womanly passivity.)

Your definition of princess is much more in line with (in western terms) Xena or She-Ra, or even Shannon Hale's easy reader series The Princess in Black.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
What a time we live in where fans of a show are slightly upset over the “wasted potential” from the bad guys that were killed off. I guess I can understand that it seemed like at some point the pirates and ninjas would team after realizing they both have a common enemy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2