• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blade Runner: Black Lotus Anime's Trailer Reveals Alessia Cara's Music

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
It looks like a generic action show,set in the Blade Runner universe. The CG doesn't fit that neo noir feel,the films had. Then you have Kenji Kamiyama directing,who has put out mediocrity the last few years. Not really having high expectations for this,but willing to give it a shot.
Madzack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:08 am Reply with quote
To be fair, it feels like old 90s adventure game version of Blade Runner. It's a decent entry to the BR lore though it could've been better.
Expect backdraft from fans who wants 2D anime version like the Blackout 2022 entry, instead of this OK CG version.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:54 am Reply with quote
Alita is back, in pog form.
The talent is there, the world looks like it should and the animation itself is good so no problems so far. Let's see if there is market interest. The new comics (meh) are rather niche and nothing else is in the pipeline for the IP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:00 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
It looks like a generic action show,set in the Blade Runner universe.

Yeah, pretty much. I'll keep an open mind, since there's really no reason a more straightforward action thing couldn't work in this setting, but I'm not super excited or anything.

SAC_2045 is a show that could look better, but I thought was still quite good, so I suppose that makes me more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.
ReiLuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:18 am Reply with quote
Doesn't look like an anime to me but ok.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 am Reply with quote
...Aaaand , as expected, this looks like a doll-face fest. Damn it all Evil or Very Mad The currently airing Night Head 2041 looks a million times better than this and that's saying something... at the very least it doesn't look like a fcking videogame and it kinda has the right cyberpunk vibes in anime form. This is specially painful considering that Kamiyama directed Moribito and the original GITS SAC series, which remain some of the most beautifully hand-drawn series ever made.... Godammit, WHY???? Crying or Very sad
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote
It's kind of like that trend back in the day, when every reasonably big movie that had "kids" even on the fringes of its target demo had to have a tie-in videogame. It was usually something done quickly and cheaply without much thought put into it, but hey, there were still some people who bought it. Maybe they're now doing the same with anime tie-ins. "What is cool with the kids now? Games? Nah, too expensive. Anime? OK, let's do some anime tie-in, just make it cheap."

Anyway, Blade Runner even lends itself to anime, but... yeah, not this way.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
This is specially painful considering that Kamiyama directed Moribito and the original GITS SAC series, which remain some of the most beautifully hand-drawn series ever made.... Godammit, WHY???? Crying or Very sad

Personally, I'd blame Shinji Aramaki more than Kamiyama. Dude's crazy obsessed with these full CGI productions.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
The good -

I would've much preferred an anime in the style of Shinichiro Watanabe's short, byt CG wise this is a step up and the production doesn't look cheap or bad overall.

The bad -

Don't like the clean looking character models.

I especially don't like to tone of the trailer or direction or music. Tonally all of this looks and even the dialogue and action seem off for Blade Runner. Even Watanabe's short while it had some fancy action, it still sort of fit within the overall style of the world. But I'd much prefer it being closer to the live action films. You can have acrobatics and martial arts, but in a more gritty moody way.

Well I'm still looking forward to it, but my expectations are considerably lowered.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ReiLuna wrote:
Doesn't look like an anime to me but ok.
Well given that it is an entry in a film series that begin as a live action Si-Fi Noir detective story from America, that could be for the better.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Good God that looks like utter shit... And the trailer itself has all the energy of a bowl of cold oatmeal.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
It looks pretty good to me; I'll definitely give it a shot.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
Why can't they leave Blade Runner alone?
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Something seems off with the models rigging.

Plus why would you start with a close up off an eye when you're eye isn't even that good?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1