Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Part


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 2678
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see the show back and with the atmospheric Openings and a soothing Ending.

Rudy is...still Rudy, but he's growing in his own way.

Man, Rudy and Roxy missing each other by that much...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fakerman



Joined: 05 Feb 2020
Posts: 31
Location: Mac Anu
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Telu



Joined: 08 Sep 2019
Posts: 69
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
After seeing Sauros' dead i want to read the WN but at the same time i don't want to

:v
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
09jcg



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Posts: 154
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
You should give the light novel a shot. The saurous thing happened a bit differently in the book.

I should also add that the LN are a really entertaining read. Once ypou pick them up theyre impossible to put down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 2678
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Telu wrote:
After seeing Sauros' dead i want to read the WN but at the same time i don't want to

:v

I feel so bad for Eris. Especially when we don't know what happened to her parents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 17110
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that Kim was both able and willing to take over on this one. I also completely agree with and support her opening stance. That Rudeus's bad behavior is continuing to some degree should be acknowledged, but there is so much else to talk about in this series that there's no need to continually dwell on it anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 805
Location: A River Named Toms
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see the animation quality continues to be stellar and how the OP's are unique. I look forward to this series before any other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 16588
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Glad to see that Kim was both able and willing to take over on this one. I also completely agree with and support her opening stance. That Rudeus's bad behavior is continuing to some degree should be acknowledged, but there is so much else to talk about in this series that there's no need to continually dwell on it anymore.


If it keeps continually happening then yea there is reason to continually dwell on it. Otherwise you're ignoring a very blatant aspect of the show. Tired and constantly talked about as it may be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Nutaris



Joined: 26 Jul 2019
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I definitely can't agree with this. If you made it this far into the show then you know what kind of character Rudy is. There's no reason to keep beating the dead horse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
09jcg



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Posts: 154
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
If it keeps continually happening then yea there is reason to continually dwell on it. Otherwise you're ignoring a very blatant aspect of the show. Tired and constantly talked about as it may be.

Nah i strongly disagree. Complaining about Rudy when you're 14 episodes into a show (that has practically completed source material) is excessive. Everyone knows what this is. Complaining about it is like complaining about the fan service in Strike Witches or about Highschool D X D showing boobs. It might as well be part of MTs genre at this point. At best they should just throw a trigger warning at the top of the review and keep it moving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tanteikingdomkey



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 2268
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Look not to "keep beating the dead horse" I do actually like the series in how well it can handle some very strong and loaded topic, and actually has deeply flawed people as it's center piece and wants them to get better.

but I would like to bring back up the...profane... rating for each episode as an additional ranking to just the rating of the episode itself. THAT DOESN'T MEAN MAKING IT PART OF THE REVIEW DISCUSION. I am putting that in caps so people actually see it.

There are times like with....Certain episodes.... that having that knowledge before hand and not being surprised by...some of rudys actions...is helpful to being able to move past them and enjoying the rest of what the series can do SO WELL.

Call the...Profane...rating a trigger warning if you want or something else but for some of us who really do want to love the series, but have....problems with certain elements of it, it would help to go into episodes with the proper mindset.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 16588
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Nah i strongly disagree. Complaining about Rudy when you're 14 episodes into a show (that has practically completed source material) is excessive. Everyone knows what this is. Complaining about it is like complaining about the fan service in Strike Witches or about Highschool D X D showing boobs. It might as well be part of MTs genre at this point. At best they should just throw a trigger warning at the top of the review and keep it moving.


Nutaris wrote:

I definitely can't agree with this. If you made it this far into the show then you know what kind of character Rudy is. There's no reason to keep beating the dead horse.


Disagree all you want, doesn't hurt my feelings. It shouldn't matter if "we know who he is by now" or if people know "what this is". If the antics continue to take away from other elements of the plot, and it keeps being a situation of 1 step forward, 2 steps back then yea, it deserves to be mentioned in the review. It's not beating a dead horse if they problem keeps happening, which is the antics take away from the rest of the plot and character development. It would be beating a dead horse if the antics did NOT do that, but they kept getting mentioned. If it keeps happening, it's a viable topic to discuss just like anything else in a show if it keeps coming up.

The comparison to Strike Witches or DxD are particularly faulty. For one both of those shows were not trying to be more then what they were. They were not going for real character development or a plot with more depth. Mushoku Tensei is trying to do that. That's why the antics stick out more because it gives a big tonal whiplash and stands out more compared to the rest of the story.

We'll just wait and see how the reviews go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
09jcg



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Posts: 154
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Disagree all you want, doesn't hurt my feelings. It shouldn't matter if "we know who he is by now" or if people know "what this is". If the antics continue to take away from other elements of the plot, and it keeps being a situation of 1 step forward, 2 steps back then yea, it deserves to be mentioned in the review. It's not beating a dead horse if they problem keeps happening, which is the antics take away from the rest of the plot and character development. It would be beating a dead horse if the antics did NOT do that, but they kept getting mentioned. If it keeps happening, it's a viable topic to discuss just like anything else in a show if it keeps coming up.

We'll just wait and see how the reviews go.

Well, suffice it to say I completely disagree once again with all your points. I for one am glad the reviewer is going down the path they're taking with this and I appreciate the fact that constantly bringing the MCs character faults in the reviews is a waste of time and page space

Quote:
The comparison to Strike Witches or DxD are particularly faulty. For one both of those shows were not trying to be more then what they were. They were not going for real character development or a plot with more depth. Mushoku Tensei is trying to do that. That's why the antics stick out more because it gives a big tonal whiplash and stands out more compared to the rest of the story.

Alright then, lets go with Bakemonogatari then, where the MC essentially sexualy assaults an elementary school student as well as his sisters. I can really do this all day. The one constant with anime media in general is that there is no shortage of behaviour such as this. If you get hung up on this stuff you'll get nowhere. Hence why I said just throw a content warning on the thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BananaNutella



Joined: 12 Feb 2021
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Visuals are gorgeous as ever this cour!

Pacing seems solid so far for the most part, although I think episode 13 was the weakest so far in that aspect.

Love the new opening song very much.

The ending for episode 14 was unexpected! Didn't think they'd switch things around, but I think the show is better for it.

Looking forward to next weeks review!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4165
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:36 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Telu wrote:
After seeing Sauros' dead i want to read the WN but at the same time i don't want to

:v

I feel so bad for Eris. Especially when we don't know what happened to her parents.


well if you really want to know, spoiler[ both of them were killed after being teleported in a nation that was at war. worse is that she was meant to be the concubine to a perverted uncle and to prevent that (also she had accepted her feelings for him) she gave her virginity to rudy but then dunp her to become a sword god (because a certain dragon god wants rudy dead due to him being friends with the man god aka hitogami) leaving him SO emotionally scarred that he got ED! ]

so dont feel bad for eris. hell, by the end of this season, that tsundere may end up just as unlikable as that former perverted otaku!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group