• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Evangelion Film Tops Japan's Box Office in 2021 So Far

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:00 am Reply with quote
Congratulations once more!
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
Japan and (I think) China are few countries whose box office aren't conquered by Hollywood films, aren't they?
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
Why does it say "so far" in the title? The jp BO counts december for 2022, the only movie that could (and almost certainly will) gross more than eva is JJK but it's counted as a 2022 movie for jp box office so this chart is final.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
Kenshin beat Gintama. Interesting. People liked more Kenshin the Final than the Beginning. Kinda like the reverse of the OVAs

Last edited by tintor2 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Japan and (I think) China are few countries whose box office aren't conquered by Hollywood films, aren't they?

I'd say India is the country where the box office is dominated by their own films, especially since there are so many movies made each year.
Anyway, of all of the Japanese movies in the Top 10 I'm kind of impressed by the Rurouni Kenshin and Tokyo Revengers live-action adaptations, I guess some live-actions can be successful. Looking at the foreing films list I had no idea the Fast and Furious films were successful in Japan, James Bond on the other hand doesn't surprise me I've heard he's been popular there since the beginning, Monster Hunter grossing 10 million is kind of impressive considering how badly the movie was received in other countries (even if MH is one of the most popular video games in Japan I didn't think it would do well there), and I can't believe Eternals did better than Shang-Chi and Black Widow.
Now, I don't think No Way Home has been released there yet, so I wonder if it could be as big of a hit as in other territories. I know that superhero movies are not as successful in Japan as in other countries but Spidey has always been a very popular character there.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Interesting. People liked more Kenshin the Final than the Beginning. Kinda like the reverse of the OVAs

because the movie actually adapted the final arc. What the OVA did could barely be called that.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Will this movie ever get a home video release? I own the blu-ray's for the first three movies, and don't want to watch this until I have my own copy of it. I hate that it's stuck on a streaming service here that I'm not subscribed to.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
Will this movie ever get a home video release? I own the blu-ray's for the first three movies, and don't want to watch this until I have my own copy of it. I hate that it's stuck on a streaming service here that I'm not subscribed to.

It seems like Funimation's relationship with Khara has soured, so it's up to Amazon to sublicense the home video rights to some company. I wouldn't get your hopes up even for anytime in 2022.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:

Yes. I believe GKIDS has the licence that Funimation lost. No word on when it will release though...
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why this list snubbed Venom. If the cutoff date was December 12th, it should've ranked sixth in the foreign film list, with >$10 million.

Silver Kirin wrote:
Now, I don't think No Way Home has been released there yet, so I wonder if it could be as big of a hit as in other territories. I know that superhero movies are not as successful in Japan as in other countries but Spidey has always been a very popular character there.

Spider-man has had diminishing returns in Japan since the Raimi films ended. The MCU movies are the least popular there - down more than half (without inflation calculated) of the Tobey movies, to <$30 million. They're even down from The Amazing Spider-man movies. No Way Home tying in with the more popular adaptations should lift things, but probably not to a crazy degree.
charliepanayi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I wonder why this list snubbed Venom. If the cutoff date was December 12th, it should've ranked sixth in the foreign film list, with >$10 million.

Silver Kirin wrote:

Spider-man has had diminishing returns in Japan since the Raimi films ended. The MCU movies are the least popular there - down more than half (without inflation calculated) of the Tobey movies, to <$30 million. They're even down from The Amazing Spider-man movies. No Way Home tying in with the more popular adaptations should lift things, but probably not to a crazy degree.

Japan was still a top 5 non-US market for Homecoming and Far From Home I think, so it's still nothing to be sneezed at even if they aren't monster hits over there
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations!
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Awesome to see just how popular and relevant the Evangelion franchise still is. No matter how you feel about the film itself, this definitely is a huge achievement. Hideaki Anno must be beside himself right now with just how successful his final Evangelion project turned out being...
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:20 pm Reply with quote
While not my favorite Eva instalment, I'm glad to see it's still relevant in this day and age. It's also a shame it never got the theatrical release it deserved in the US
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:58 am Reply with quote
Eva dominates at 1 and RK is at 5. Love to see it.

Quote:
F9: The Fast Saga

Please change this to Wild Speed: Jet Break.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2