• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime Of Winter 2022

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:51 pm Reply with quote
As for me, these are the ones I'm anticipating the most:

* Orbital Children as a kind of successor for Dennou Coil, the latter which I've only seen recently, so it's not due to nostalgia reasons, but for me actually liking it.
* There's Delicious Party Precure, another Precure title coming out in February and so far there's not much is known about it - Toei is not spilling their beans this time around to build up hype - other than it being cooking-themed. Let's hope it lives up to the hype, Tropical-Rouge was sadly just not the season for me.
* Sasaki and Miyano, which I don't know much about, but it looks up to my alley: a romantic comedy of the BL kind.
* CloverWorks has 2 titles this season I'm actually interested in, Akebi-chan and My Dress-Up Darling, but their schedule seems to be packed (and their 3rd title seems to be collapsing even before it airs!), so let's pray they somehow manage it until the end of the season.
* There's Priconne S2, the 1st season was one of the highlights of 2020 for me so let's hope it continues to be as fun this time around as well.
* We have another Kirara title in Slow Loop and as someone who read the manga up to chapter 9, it's absolutely fantastic, however the PVs had less than great visuals so to say, but let me be wrong about this adaptation. I'll check out the first episode at the very least.
* Then there are the other ones, Leadale, Sabikui Bisco and Cue!, which might be up to my interest. We'll see whether I'll manage to follow any of them, as I'm kind of getting busy nowadays.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:55 pm Reply with quote
My boring answer is Attack on Titan. From the new IP My Dress-Up Darling intrigues me a little. I hope Winter 2022 is a worthwhile anime season.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
My top pick is Delicious Party Pretty Cure, which I believe will air at the beginning of February. I love Pretty Cure so much and this one looks so cute, I'm so excited!

I also plan to watch Sasaki and Miyano and Slow Loop. The former looks like a really sweet, fluffy romance (and LGBTQ+ MCs as a bonus), and the latter seems like one of those soothing slice of life iyashikei that I'm fond of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan and Vanitas.

I wanted to be excited about Dress-up darling but Cloverworks has tempered my expectations with the way they handled Horimiya, TPN, and even Shadow house
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm less enthusiastic about the offerings for the coming season than just about any other in recent memory. Attack on Titan is probably my Most-Anticipated, and I'll certainly continue to follow Arifureta, Princess Re:Connect, and Realist Hero, but none of those are at the anticipation level of some of the major titles from last year. Of new titles, Police in a Pod, My Dress-Up Darling, and Miss Koroitsu From the Monster Department look most promising.

Enh, I'll probably find a couple of new discoveries to fill out my viewing card anyway. Been a while since I've found less than 10 titles worth following in a given season.

And thanks to the reviewers mentioning Orbital Children, which I had completely missed hearing about. Den-noh Coil is one of the most visionary anime titles I've ever seen, and I would absolutely check out anything made by the minds behind that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Not much for me this season, but definitely going to watch Attack on Titan. Pretty much like James I've managed to avoid spoilers about the ending and I'm primarily an anime watcher having only seen the first few chapters of the manga years ago before the anime even started. I haven't read any of the side stuff either. I think my lack of immersion into all things AOT has actually left me with some decent anticipation for the end. Funny thing was that I was not a fan of the first season, but I stuck with it and the show got better for me.

Also Orbital Children, mainly because of Dennoh Coil Which I thought was excellent when I saw it.

Maybe I'll watch Sabikui Bisco, because of the trailer I saw.

Eh, Love of Kill synopsis: "During one of her bounty hunter missions, Chateau Dankworth comes across Son Ryang-ha, a professional hitman..." Wait so she's as big as a house/manor and she's dank or worth dank. Oh-ok Japan, you just keep being you I guess. If that's not a typo its going to be distracting to hear that name, hopefully they won't say it much in the show.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:47 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

Eh, Love of Kill synopsis: "During one of her bounty hunter missions, Chateau Dankworth comes across Son Ryang-ha, a professional hitman..." Wait so she's as big as a house/manor and she's dank or worth dank. Oh-ok Japan, you just keep being you I guess. If that's not a typo its going to be distracting to hear that name, hopefully they won't say it much in the show.

Sadly it is not a typo, according to the one volume of the manga I read. It was...okay, but I didn't like the relationship that much, and yes, her name did keep distracting me.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Probably most anticipating Sasaki and Miyano, I've read the first few chapters and I anticipate catching up before it even starts airing lol. It's very cute.

Glad that ANN is finally referring to it as a BL since the first few articles were edited to remove mentions of BL for some reason.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Other than sequels and continuing series (AoT, Re:Dive, Arifureta, Realist, DQ, Vanitas, Ranking and Demon Slayer), there's nothing that really stands out to me as a must watch.

Sono Bisque Doll is a manga that I've had an eye on, so I'll be checking that out.

I also have an eye on Sabikui Bisco, Fantasy Bishoujo, Kuroitsu-san, Hakozume & Leadale. So I'm looking forward to reading the preview guide for those Smile

Quote:
From what I have read of the manga adaptation, it feels very much like the 90s classic The Irresponsible Captain Tylor—only if Tylor was both a genius and the luckiest man in the universe.

As I love Tylor, that sounds very appealing so I'll add it to the list, though I'd argue Tylor was both those things =)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I also have an eye on Sabikui Bisco, Fantasy Bishoujo, Kuroitsu-san, Hakozume & Leadale. So I'm looking forward to reading the preview guide for those Smile

I'm also interested to see what reactions will be to Leadale. While it has a stronger mystery aspect to its core premise than most isekai, the first novel struck me as just a gender-swapped (in the sense that the protagonist is female) power fantasy, down even to the typical harem aspect being replaced with something else that's functionally equivalent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:43 pm Reply with quote
@Key

I agree that Leadale is a power fantasy. However, I'm four volumes into the novels and I don't see anything like a harem. No one seems to have romantic feelings to her at all.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Covnam wrote:

I'm also interested to see what reactions will be to Leadale. While it has a stronger mystery aspect to its core premise than most isekai, the first novel struck me as just a gender-swapped (in the sense that the protagonist is female) power fantasy, down even to the typical harem aspect being replaced with something else that's functionally equivalent.

Isekai change by baby steps, so I feel like gender swapping the MC is a cataclysmic change.

Genius prince could be fun if it really manage to channel Tylor. I was pretty disappointed by realist hero since it was just someone telling people obvious things that they should have figured out centuries ago (like "corruption is bad" and "food is good") and not how to built combustion engine and medicine. Since the industry apparently doesn't give a crap about that aspect, might as well make it into a joke.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Isekai change by baby steps, so I feel like gender swapping the MC is a cataclysmic change.

Actually, the original web novels for Leadale predate most of the isekai power fantasies that have come out in the last few years; it just took longer to hit light novel form than numerous genre titles which followed it. So this isn't progressive at all, but rather a variation which apparently didn't spawn copycats.

Alan45 wrote:
However, I'm four volumes into the novels and I don't see anything like a harem. No one seems to have romantic feelings to her at all.

I am referring to spoiler[her "kids," who fill the role of fawning over her much like harem wannabes would in other series].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:25 am Reply with quote
I don't know much about new series coming up, but aside from continuations like Titan, Ranking, and Vanitas, what I'm most looking forward to is the Japanese dub of Link Click. So that maybe it will make it onto more people's radar, because it is so worth it. The first two or three episodes maybe don't quite sell it (though they have indispensable info in them), but then it just takes off and doesn't look back (well, except in time, since it's a time travel gig). I can't recommend it enough. Plus the new dub cast Takahiro Sakurai, so I couldn't be happier. Wink

https://link-click.jp/ (hit that domino in the upper right for site menus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NhDPvc08n0
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:51 am Reply with quote
@Key

I see what you mean. However, I think using the word "harem" is unfortunate as it has connotations beyond that. It causes some people to shun a series without looking at the circumstances of the show.

Regardless, spoiler[they are not a big factor as they mostly stay put in the capitol and she doesn't.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2