• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:02 am Reply with quote

(The) Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest (TV)

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: His strength limited by the magical crest with which he was born, Mathias, the world’s most powerful sage, decides reincarnation is necessary to become the strongest of all. Upon his rebirth as a young boy, Mathias is thrilled to discover he’s been born with the optimal crest for magical combat on his first try. Unfortunately, the world he’s been born into has abysmally poor standards when it comes to magic, and everyone thinks he’s still marked for failure. Now it’s up to Mathias to prove everyone wrong as the world’s strongest sage.

Jan. 8, 2022 (Saturdays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------

Anime adaptation of the light novel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was a thing, I guess. There's so little to say about this show, it was so uninspiring. I found Iris, the dragon girl, to be kind of amusing. Her clumsiness in and out of battles was funny. She wouldn't even avoid getting hit, instead she'd just tank hits, go like "ouch" and then one-hit strike the dude. Gave it a so-so rating.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Interestingly, I started off thinking rather negatively about the show, seeing it as derivative and not doing much to really make it stand above some other similar shows. But I kind of changed my mind as it went on. It isn't really that special, and I was super tired of the whole crest side of magic systems popped up years ago with anime, yet something about the execution of this was increasing the enjoyment I got out of watching it.

I think that I would actually have a tough time figuring out what it is that worked for me, since I probably could point to several shows that might have similar aspects, but I would think did not work there, but actually kind of enjoyed it here. Maybe it was some part that it could have dark elements, but never got grimdark in trying to pretend that it is some complex uber mature piece, it could always stay a bit light. Iris is a particular example of this, where I think she could be great when clumsily stumbling around, such be when Iris was doing the tests to be accepted at the school, with the principle acting as the straight man to her just having power to her.

Not that the show also had a number of problems, specifically I think that it did a pretty poor job at explaining how its magic systems work, where a couple of times I thought that they just popped up. But at the same time, perhaps its lack of feeling like it needed focus so hard on those aspects within the media of animation, might have worked in its favour, that the fun aspects needed for an anime were the focus, leaving its more detailed stuff into whatever its source stuff is (probably books), where it worked better there.

I had more fun than I would have expected from the start. My rating is Good (7/10), worth seeing.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Iris was doing the tests to be accepted at the school, with the principle acting as the straight man to her just having power to her.

Heh, that was pretty funny. Also I laughed pretty hard when Iris twisted the poor principle's sword.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1