• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pani Poni Dash! anyone?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
I remember when I was bored as hell one night, scrolling through the trailers on my Newtype sampler disc, and watched the trailer for Pani Poni Dash!, and thought, "What... the hell... is this?! 10 year old teacher, ridiculous students, a drunk teacher? But wait! A depressed bunny, aliens, and a cat that claims he's god?!?!?!" I had to check it out!

Man... the first volume alone is one of the funniest animes I've seen to date. Right from the start, with the Planet of the Apes parady I knew I was going to love it. Its just so bizarre and sattirical! One thing that had me shaking my head in laughter was the fact the unnamed background characters were all drawn the same, its like SHAFT was saying "yeah, we did what the rest of you studios felt like doing Razz "

They also put a pretty sweet twist on the usual character archetypes of school yard comedies, like the loud spazz girl, Himeko (so far, one of my favorite characters to watch). Maho?! Episode 3 we find out that her cowlick is spoiler[what holds the hot air (which seems to be her life-force) in her head, and once pulled, she goes into a zombie-like state,] Laughing So far, episode 4 has been my favorite; the study-group/sleep-over where they never get any studying done at all. Also, that episode has a prime scene between Himeko and Miyako (the bookworm and also another character that's one of my favorite ones to watch); the whole "Do you like animals?" conversation (if it could be called a conversation).

Anyways, yeah, Pani Poni Dash!, one great and hilarious series you guys should check out. And if you have, what do you think of it?
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite parts is spoiler[when, via words going across the screen, tell one of the secrets on FFIV and that Cid is building a giant robot for Pani Poni Dash!] I can't really name off all the parts that I liked because it parodies WAY too much from everyhing, including Monty Python.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:02 am Reply with quote
I was never able to finish the series before it was picked up, but what I saw was an absolute riot. I'm gonna start collecting the DVDs when I get some monies. Himeko and Mesousa stole every scene they were in. Poor Mesousa. He made Menchi look like umm... someone with less problems. *Analogy meter closed for repairs*

Not to mention all the parodies and sight gags. Kudos to ADV for throwing in those ADVid notes.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
I love this show... I'd only vaguely heard of it previous to the volume 1 release, but then Rightstuf had an ADV sale, so I did something very bad- I looked up a fansub on YouTube. I think I got all of 5 minutes in before I turned it off and went straight back to rightstuf to order it! Very Happy

So far, my favorite episode was the camp-out, becuase I liked the Giant Salamander with the letters falling out of its mouth when it talked. That and the part where Mesousa is bemoan his (her?) inability to hold a knife, and the salamander puts a comforting hand on his shoulder... and then shows off how he can hold one just fine! Laughing

I'm eagerly awaiting volume 2.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The show is comedic brilliance from start to finish. The spoiler[camping episode] is one of ther series' finest.

I noticed on the DVD that there were a couple new things here and there. spoiler[First the opening credits weren't in the first episode on TV, but they were on the DVD. Second I noticed in the third episode during the Catwoman origin parody that the girl's stats weren't shown; but instead a long shot of a film crew.]

There are also a couple other things here and there; but I can't remember.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to the next volume.

Outside of the comedy, what struck me most about the series was the music. Especially the opening sequence. It's a very catchy tune, and the whole opener (to me at least) seemed very '60s style. I think it's because of the bold, bright color choices and how it was animated.

-Murph
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I saw the preview on ADV's website and had to buy it. I love how through out the anime it shows chibi versions of the characters. The opening song is great too, can't wait for dvd 2.
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
This was my favorite show of 2005, and I'm glad it is finally being released stateside. It is one of few shows that I will pay full retail price for individual volumes rather than wait for a cheaper boxset/discounts/et al. Next volume apparently gets the artbox, so I'm going straight for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1