• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Luminaria Game Ends Service on July 19

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:36 am Reply with quote
LOL who didn't see this coming? After Bamco shut down Link and Crestoria everyone knew that this would be no different. It doesn't help that it doesn't even look like a Tales game.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:41 am Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
LOL who didn't see this coming? After Bamco shut down Link and Crestoria everyone knew that this would be no different. It doesn't help that it doesn't even look like a Tales game.
Everyone has seen that coming, but not coming that fast. Even Crestoria lived more than 1,5 years in service, but this is the Sakura Revolution level of failure.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
No surprise here. They put a lot of effort into it and it is a good game, but it just wasn't popular.

No sense blaming Bamco for it. Takes a lot of money to run something like this so no point keeping it alive for only a small playerbase.

Wouldn't mention Link in the same breath, though. Link had a good run, finished it's main story and reached a natural end point.
StarDango

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:04 am Reply with quote
Really? Holy shit. I actually really like the game and have been playing through it as much as I can. But I will admit that compared to my other mobile games it requires a LOT of dedication. There’s a lot of character routes to get through. Maybe that’s one of the reasons it didn’t take off?

But I personally really like the characters and was willing to put the time into it for them . They have that “Tales of” charm. And while the character art is different from the other Tales games, the designs are some of my favorites. It’s Shun "tosh" Saeki, for crying out loud.

I don’t want to see these characters go so soon Sad

I’ll have that TINY bit of hope that maybe one day someone on the “Tales of” team can turn this into a non-mobile game. Realistically, I know it will NEVER happen and Luminaria will remain as one of the ‘Tales’ franchise failed mobile game attempts. But let me dream.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:51 am Reply with quote
Yeahhhhh.... this is why I never play the mobile Tales games anymore. I liked Tales of Link but when they announced it was closing, I stopped playing. :c
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:18 am Reply with quote
That was fast... But why would the Episode finale would happen before the OVAs ? That is stupid
Bvick00

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:19 am Reply with quote
OH COME ON! I was so looking forward to playing this game for a year or so after Tales of Crestoria ended, but it didn't even survive till it's one year anniversary - something Tales of Crestoria managed to get past through! What's even more frustrating is that now we got two Tales of Mobile games with unresolved stories that will probably be continued in other formats. One of the things I liked about this game was that it didn't rely on previous Tales of characters unlike Rays or Crestoria. Also a neat thing that the developers are going to do is to archive their work on this game such as costumes, designs and illustrations etc. as well as making a soundtrack based on the BGM so that the characters and the world can be remembered even after the game ends. As for me, I will try to at least play through the remaining episodes that are available and will be looking forward to the 'Episode Final' of the game(even if it's not the real intended closure of the game's story).

Side note : It's seem like this franchise's mobile outings are cursed, never able to get past their first anniversaries or be able to reach their second anniversaries and beyond. (Only exception to this are Tales of Link and Tales of Rays JP version)

Last edited by Bvick00 on Tue May 10, 2022 10:55 am; edited 3 times in total
PyrosAWX

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
The game was badly managed from the begining. Why advertise 21 unique characters when you have only 7 of them with their story episode at release? Were the 14 others even playable? I bet if they waited a few more months to release the game with all 21 characters being playable with their own personal story episode, the game would have faired much better.

I have did daily missions for 2 days, daily free pulls for a week, then never touched the game again. Didn't even finished Leo's first episode, the lack of Dual Audio at release (don't know itf they added it afterwards) didn't helped, also the fact that I play 4 others mobile games, Tales of the Rays included, and didn't had enough time to invest into a fifth.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:32 am Reply with quote
I played the game for a few days and I both found it overwhelming and I didn't really enjoy the gameplay. The anime assumed you played a significant amount of the game so even though I knew who the characters were I couldn't understand the plot at all.

I guess this was kind of inevitable. I tried getting back into the game and it was impossible to find any coop players
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:52 am Reply with quote
Everything comes to an end eventually, but this was far too soon.  Tales of Luminaria was my very first mobile game, and I've been playing it since day one.  This really, really hurts.  I probably sound overly dramatic, but it makes me question the investment I've made these past few months.  I've poured so much time, energy, and (unfortunately) cash into this game, and I was super invested in the characters and story.  The music was beautiful, and the voice acting was super well done.  I had something to look forward to every Wednesday evening when a new chapter came out, and that was another aspect I found appealing.  Part of me is grateful for the journey, because I did have fun... but another part of me wishes I'd stayed away if this was the inevitable conclusion.

From a financial point of view, this might be for the best, because they REALLY gacha'd my wallet. Laughing  From all other points of view, however, I'm devastated.  There were a lot of people saying that this would happen, but I didn't believe them.  Jokes on me.

I just don't understand why Bandai is so unwilling to invest in their games long-term.  Business is always a risk, but they keep half-assing it.  There's already an oversaturation of mobile games in the market, so why waste the time, resources, and (limited) goodwill of your fans for a game that you're not serious about?  Statistically speaking, it's fairly unrealistic that they'll hit the jackpot (like Fate or Genshin Impact), so why bother so many times?  They already have Tales of the Rays in Japan, and it's been around for a while.  Is that not successful enough?  I truly don't understand why a company would bother releasing a game only to bail on it 7 - 8 months later.  Not every game will be a success, but if you're unwilling to invest AT LEAST a year or two, don't waste our time.

I managed to play Tales of Crestoria after they announced the game would be discontinuing, but at least I knew what I was signing up for.  Not only that, but they "claimed" the story would continue on in some form in the future, which apparently means a manga.  I didn't sign up for Tales of Luminaria thinking I'd be screwed less than a year later, and Bandai hasn't even promised a continuation of the story.

I feel terrible for the people who worked on Tales of Luminaria.  You can tell how passionate they were about this project, and they seemed to really listen to feedback from fans of the game.  I've been playing the victim card while venting here, but the true "victims" of this story are the folks who just got screwed out of a job.  I feel terrible about Bandai screwing them and their vision over like this.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
Not surprised all Tales of games do not last long. Why don't they never learn sure mobile games are popular in Japan, but they should stick to spinoff game for the franchise and save mainline games for consoles.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:
That was fast... But why would the Episode finale would happen before the OVAs ? That is stupid

Because it's going to explain why Hugo defected, which is probably the biggest question left hanging.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
They should stop making Tales of Mobile games.

After Tales of Link, Tales of Asteria, Tales of the Rays, Tales of Crestoria you would think they would know that no one wants it.

Invest the money into mainline Tales of games instead...
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

After Tales of Link, Tales of Asteria, Tales of the Rays, Tales of Crestoria you would think they would know that no one wants it.

I mean, Asteria and Rays are incredily popular...
In Japan.

Both are still getting new content in fact.
PyrosAWX

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

And yet, Luminaria was mainline.
By having a cast of only original characters; Luminaria was considered an original and not a crossover.

GNPixie wrote:
I mean, Asteria and Rays are incredily popular...
In Japan.

Both are still getting new content in fact.

This, Asteria is 8-years old, is in its 6th arc, and still strong.
Rays is 5-years old, has the playable characters of all originals (Luminaria exluded, as it was still ongoing.), is in its 4th arc, and doesn't show any sign of weakness.
Also pretty sure Rays Global would be still there if they didn't did a botched release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2