• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, September 12-18 [2022-09-26]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
There are a couple of interesting things that happened this week. First of all, the Xbox Series outsold the PS5 by almost 3k units, this is interesting because it's the second time this has happened so far this year, and when that happened in May it was the first time in 12 years that Xbox outsold the PlayStation in Japan, now it only took a couple of months. No wonder why companies like Capcom are still making PS4 games like RE4 remake and Street Fighter 6.
Splatoon 3 is still dominating charts, nothing surprising there. Dragon Quest X Offline actually sold more physical copies on Switch that both the PS4 and PS5 versions combined. DQX's numbers aren't the highest for a DQ remake, that title goes to DQV on the PS2, but it seems that Square-Enix didn't make that many copies, perhaps because DQX is not the most popular game in the series.
DQX performance on the Switch made me wonder which platform Enix is thinking about releasing DQXII, though the game is probably still in the early stages of development the series has been associated more closely with Nintendo platforms than PS, save for DQVII and DQVIII (DQXII had a weird release in both the PS4 and 3DS). Considering how bad the PS5 is doing in Japan, where most of the DQ sales come from, I'm beginning to think that perhaps it'll be released for the Switch or its successor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1