• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Crosses US$400 Million Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:51 am Reply with quote
They kept it in theaters to beat Uncharted in the franchise wars but Sonic won´t enter the top 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_based_on_video_games

That Warcraft of all things rules the charts. Urgh. It and the ok-isk Detective Pikachu are the top 2 but both cost a bit too much to warrant sequels. Sonic 1/2 and to a lesser degree Uncharted cost less so those get to go on. It's safe to say that game films aren´t there yet. In terms of financial viability and quality but baby steps are made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
It’s no Top Gun at the box office but it’s the best video game based production this year and a very solid rock for a franchise. So kudos.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:33 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
They kept it in theaters to beat Uncharted in the franchise wars but Sonic won´t enter the top 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_based_on_video_games

That Warcraft of all things rules the charts. Urgh. It and the ok-isk Detective Pikachu are the top 2 but both cost a bit too much to warrant sequels. Sonic 1/2 and to a lesser degree Uncharted cost less so those get to go on. It's safe to say that game films aren´t there yet. In terms of financial viability and quality but baby steps are made.

Warcraft failed in the U.S. because it was pretty terrible. So Warcraft being #1 is only thanks to other countries.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:29 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

That Warcraft of all things rules the charts. Urgh.

Is it any worse than Uncharted?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:26 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
It's safe to say that game films aren´t there yet. In terms of financial viability and quality but baby steps are made.

I think billion dollar movies have given people a wild take on what's required for a movie to be financially viable.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

That's internationally. In North America, Sonic 2 is #1. Warcraft actually bombed hard in the US (and actually lost the studio money internationally too).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:00 am Reply with quote
And now the Minions have taken over the July 4th weekend......... with some help Laughing

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1