• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Apparently, Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World' TV Anime Premieres in January

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it could be a solid adventure show with a strong cast. And with idols, because why not?

I wonder if there's any actual romance in this.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:43 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Looks like it could be a solid adventure show with a strong cast. And with idols, because why not?
...Idols? Methinks mayhaps you be confusing this with some other show...

Quote:
Mc may perhaps develop deeper feelings for one or some of the fmcs of their small entourage, but at least not so far I've read(manga reader here, haven't checked out the novel yet, will pick it up when Yen Press drops volume 1 come next month).
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Idols? Methinks mayhaps you be confusing this with some other show...

It literally shows idols in the PV and the main character is clearly a massive idol fan............
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how far they're gonna adapt.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:09 pm Reply with quote
…Ten new Narou anime starting in January.

Ten. Narou. Anime.

1. Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for my Retirement
  2. Farming Life in Another World
  3. Endo and Kobayashi Live! The Latest on Tsundere Villainess Lieselotte
  4. The Slow Second Life of the Retired Dark Soldier in His 30s
  5. The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten
  6. The Reincarnation of the Strongest Exorcist in Another World
  7. Apparently, Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World
  8. The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess
  9. Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero-King to Extraordinary Squire
  10. The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World

And we don't even know if that's the full list yet. This season had seven, and that was already a record.

My deepest sympathies to the preview guide reviewers.
BrosefAmelion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Really digging that promo, makes em look ruthless.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:09 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Ten. Narou. Anime.

1. Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for my Retirement
  2. Farming Life in Another World
  3. Endo and Kobayashi Live! The Latest on Tsundere Villainess Lieselotte
  4. The Slow Second Life of the Retired Dark Soldier in His 30s
  5. The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten
  6. The Reincarnation of the Strongest Exorcist in Another World
  7. Apparently, Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World
  8. The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess
  9. Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero-King to Extraordinary Squire
  10. The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World

And we don't even know if that's the full list yet. This season had seven, and that was already a record.

My deepest sympathies to the preview guide reviewers.

IS Narou a rapidly rising publishing company cause i never really heard of them or there titles until relatively recently so they are going full rapid promotional publishing there titles?
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:19 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

IS Narou a rapidly rising publishing company cause i never really heard of them or there titles until relatively recently so they are going full rapid promotional publishing there titles?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Narou is a website for posting and sharing Eastern web novels. It's where a lot of the most popular (or just most) light novels first started. Think of english speaking sites like Royal road or Wattpad. Basically light novel publishers pick the most popular works on the site to publish. Like how 50 shades of grey started as a twilight fanfic posted on fanfic websites before becoming a book, then a movie.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:02 am Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Narou is a website for posting and sharing Eastern web novels. It's where a lot of the most popular (or just most) light novels first started. Think of english speaking sites like Royal road or Wattpad. Basically light novel publishers pick the most popular works on the site to publish. Like how 50 shades of grey started as a twilight fanfic posted on fanfic websites before becoming a book, then a movie.

"Narou" is short for "Shousetsuka ni narou" ("Let's become a novelist!"), which is yes, basically a free to use platform for amateur fiction writers to publish their original web novels - so no, it doesn't host fanfic (unlike Wattpad). Also, it's a Japanese website so it hosts Japanese web novels, not "eastern" in general. It's not the only site that does this, but I think this is the oldest, it's been around for at least a decade, so it's absolutely not new. But it's been on the rise since isekai stuff started trending. A lot of popular isekai stories have originated there, and although it never had a focus on isekai at this point afaik it hosts barely anything else, since isekai is so insanely popular. (It has sub-sites for other types of content such as Midnight Novels for adult content, Love Novels for TL, Moonlight for BL, etc.)

Since it's for amateurs, quality is, ahem, inconsistent to begin with, and since the rise of isekai I hear that competition has become insane, everyone wants to be the one to write the Next Popular Thing, or at least a slice from the isekai pie. There's a LN imprint, Futabasha's Monster Bunko, which specializes in publishing LNs that started on Narou.
CelticMutt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:03 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
...Idols? Methinks mayhaps you be confusing this with some other show...

Quote:
Mc may perhaps develop deeper feelings for one or some of the fmcs of their small entourage, but at least not so far I've read(manga reader here, haven't checked out the novel yet, will pick it up when Yen Press drops volume 1 come next month).

You've read the manga, yet don't know that the MC is a massive idol fan, spends all his money on idol concerts, and idols are a real part of the setting? All things established since the first chapter, and brought up frequently since?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:04 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
so no, it doesn't host fanfic

…Anymore. (Apparently Detective Conan fic was a big thing there in its first years.)

SHD wrote:
It's not the only site that does this, but I think this is the oldest, it's been around for at least a decade, so it's absolutely not new.

Founded in 2004, yeah. Almost two decades.

SHD wrote:
But it's been on the rise since isekai stuff started trending. A lot of popular isekai stories have originated there, and although it never had a focus on isekai at this point afaik it hosts barely anything else, since isekai is so insanely popular.

At some point, they changed things so the default ranking page excluded isekai stories, I can only guess because everything was getting crowded out.

Mind you, a lot of the stuff that gets anime isn't "isekai" as we usually mean it, even if it's set in one of those ISO Standard Fantasy Worlds. And the most anticipated show on that list I posted is probably The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten, which isn't even… well, it's not not fantasy. But it's not the kind with elves and stat sheets.

But yeah, the promise that YOU! could be the author of the next big light novel hit means that there's a massive glut of stories being posted on Shousetsuka ni Narou. As I write, the total is listed as 985,122; it was at 966,247 six months ago, which comes out to an average of around 210 new stories posted per day, and I don't think that counts however many get removed for whatever reasons. In early 2020, the average was even more, around 220. Back when Re:Zero season 1 aired -- one of the earlier Narou anime -- the total was around 400,000, but even then it was going up around 220 per day. So, uh, it's been a thing for a while. (And maybe the deluge of anime adaptations hasn't actually changed that much on the source end?)

I notice when Log Horizon season 1 was airing, the rate of story addition was more like 166 per day (points A and B). Maybe with some more poking around the Wayback Machine you could pinpoint when major changes in the site's activity level happened?
XSp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
Aside from being one more Narou title, or together with I guess, it's quite a number of shows even more specific to - betrayed and belittled by main party, actually overpowered or eventually becomes overpowered, saves the world while simultaneously watching as betrayers "get what they deserve".

I mean, I enjoy some of those shows taking in stride the hugely fictional side of them and what they are trying to appeal to... but also, I kinda worry a bit on what this means for the Japanese and fan psyche looking at how popular this very specific trope and genre has become.

Not to get too political about it, but those plots kinda seem like the incel wet dream or something. A perfect fit for those with a martyr complex.

Villains are often one dimensional, development and growth often reserved for main characters, the people who betray the hero initially are often the embodiment of some evil or cardinal sin. Then, every now and again, you have some pretty weird if not outright condemnable behavior and stuff that the main character and party do that is justified because he is so noble, so naive, so full of good intentions, whereas everything antagonists do is portrayed in the worst light possible so it can always be unjustifiable and leave no room for questioning... it feels like the sort of plot state propaganda would make for a dictator, you know?

Like I said, I enjoy watching some of those, and yes, I know this couldn't be more fiction than it already is - that's not what I'm questioning. But perhaps there should be less of those, and more titles that allows grey areas and more complex plots to develop.

I'm saying this as someone who got attracted to manga and anime because I got tired of constant black and white unidimensional stories in the first place... don't wanna take from the enjoyment of others, I'll likely also watch this one and enjoy it, but you know. Just thinking about what generates tendencies like those...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
It literally shows idols in the PV and the main character is clearly a massive idol fan............

CelticMutt wrote:
You've read the manga, yet don't know that the MC is a massive idol fan, spends all his money on idol concerts, and idols are a real part of the setting? All things established since the first chapter, and brought up frequently since?

spoiler[Mc is scammed, falsely accused of embezzlement, and thrown out of party. Downtrodden and despairing, he happens to meet an idol off-the-clock who gives him a ticket to attend her concert to cheer him up. Wanting to forget everything he starts going to these idol shows ...until his money runs out and he comes to his senses and he realizes he needs to start working again. THAT part about idols took 8 pages of the first chapter(60 pages). Then what? Well, over the course of 37 chapters(so far at least), he meets the idol girl twice, chatting a little both times, his 'idol' hobby is mentioned by a teammate ONCE. ... ... That's it.
Over the course of 37 chapters, that's all there is.

Perhaps it changes beyond chapter 37, or the novel differs(manga only reader here). But instead of an integral part of the story, sure looks like mc's hobby is only a backdrop for his character...]
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
snip

That means nothing. The person you originally quoted was basing it off the trailer and character art which:
1. show idols in them
2. show that the main character loves idols, and from that trailer alone (no knowledge of the series), one could assume it's a recurring point.
3. one of the character designs shown is literally the idol girl, implying she's important to the story.

You having knowledge of the manga doesn't discount the fact the idol factor LOOKS important to someone who has not read the manga and is just looking at promotional material.
They aren't confusing this with another show. They are looking at what material is presented, with only the context of said materials, and saying it has idols in it. Which it does. It has idols in it. Regardless of how many times they appear, this franchise has idols in it.

____
Anyway, I'm interested in this series because it seems less "i got kicked out and will get revenge" and more "our lives suck but lets join up and kill some monsters just to vent and then go drinking and bitch about stuff together" which sounds more fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1