• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Urusei Yatsura Anime Unveils New Visual, October 13 Premiere

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm really worried about this thing. I think that should be stated with how optimistic people are. I mean, Yashahime wasn't that long ago.

Urusei Yatsura is not a complex story. It's the kind of episodic comedy that was great for the 80s-90s but I am fearful about how that will translate to the 2020s in a way that won't offend people. The original anime is also already plenty good and holds up with its charm, which further raises the question of what this is supposed to be
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Kousuke is in and the stormtroopers are out.

Just tell me Furukawa/Hirano are voicing his parents.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it's not on monopolyroll.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Looks like Kousuke is in and the stormtroopers are out.

Both are a shame and understandable If they are going to follow the manga closer than Oshii did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:00 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Well, they haven't announced where Bleach is going, and that's a month away, so I figure there's still time for Viz (or whoever gets the rights) to decide where it will go. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney Plus, HIDIVE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

I can see it being a Viz license, shame they don't have a streaming service and that they have to put their stuff on sonyroll tho. Hoping Sentai picks it up at least
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looks like a modern Rumiko Takahashi anime!
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:32 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
I'm really worried about this thing.

Quote:
but I am fearful about how that will translate to the 2020s in a way that won't offend people. The original anime is also already plenty good and holds up with its charm,

How does someone gets "worried" or "fearful" about a kind of property that doesn't directly impact their life in any meaningful way??? Like, what if your worries or fears come to pass??? you can just not watch the anime.

Quote:
which further raises the question of what this is supposed to be

Well, this is a reboot, and putting aside the facts that reboots tend to be either hits or misses, they have the opportunity to change some things for the modern age and for modern audiences. Enough time have passed after the original anime, so maybe it's time for a reboot. Also, money.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:10 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Well, i guess the chance of english dub low to zero. look on the bright side, they probably give this anime a simuldub since the anime was popular.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:18 am Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Well, i guess the chance of english dub low to zero. look on the bright side, they probably give this anime a simuldub since the anime was popular.

Why rule out Netflix?
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:05 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Farhanawesome wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

Why rule out Netflix?

Netflix would have probably announced something by now. I'm guessing, 80% it's on Crunchyroll and 20% it's on Hidive.
light turner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:49 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
How does someone gets "worried" or "fearful" about a kind of property that doesn't directly impact their life in any meaningful way??? Like, what if your worries or fears come to pass??? you can just not watch the anime.

it's just an expression man. people have a right to be disappointed if a remake is bad. I don't think it will be since so far it seems pretty faithful to the manga but let people express disappointment if they want to.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:30 am Reply with quote
With the amount of trending and big titles coming this Fall season...I fear this will get pushed out of the spotlight from all of the hype of the other animes.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
PipimiOden wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

I can see it being a Viz license, shame they don't have a streaming service and that they have to put their stuff on sonyroll tho. Hoping Sentai picks it up at least

Just because Viz Media have the Manga license of a particular series in this case Urusei Yatsura, doesn't ALWAYS mean their going to license the anime adaptation of that manga, which has been proven when the anime adaptations of My Hero Academia, Dr. Stone, Chainsaw Man, Spy × Family, among many others were licensed by FUNimation and later Crunchyroll instead if Viz. At the end of the day it just comes down to wether Viz is interested in licensing more Anime including the 2022 Urusei Yatsura anime adaptation, following the Crunchyroll-FUNimation merger and AMC's buyout of Sentai cause for the past 4-5 years their "bread and butter" is their manga which has been their primary focus rather than licensing new anime outside of their licenses of Mr. Osomatsu, Genie Family, Yashahime and soon the Bleach Thousand Year Blood War arc. Besides, Viz didn't even licensed Sailor Moon Eternal, JoJo: Stone Ocean, and Tiger & Bunny 2, despite the fact they had license those anime IP, especially JoJo.

Regarding Sentai, usually Sentai license their anime like 2 months or a month and a half ahead of time as shown with their licenses of Ya Boy Kongming and Tokyo Mew Mew 2 months before their respective series aired.

I could see Netflix getting this cause they haven't licensed any new anime series for the Fall, but it all comes down if they are interested in licensing it, regardless of the deep pockets, because another thing that could hinder Netflix is that their more interested in original anime content.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Netflix would have probably announced something by now. I'm guessing, 80% it's on Crunchyroll and 20% it's on Hidive.

Usually when Netflix licenses an Anime series it tends to be 1 month (mainly 3-4 weeks) ahead before the show premieres on Japanese TV as shown when Netflix licensed Shaman King and Edens Zero respectively just 3-4 weeks before both shows premiered in April 2021 and Netflix did it again with Komi Can't Communicate and Blue Period respectively a month earlier before their October 2021 premieres and more recently for Uncle from Another World, Netflix licensed the series on June 8 before it's TV series premiere on July 6, 4 weeks later (even though Netflix didn't put the series until July 20).

If Urusei does wound up getting license by Crunchyroll, it could be a "Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer" Situation where they wound up licensing it at the last minute just 1-2 weeks before premiere, however Crunchyroll already has Chainsaw Man, Blue Lock, the 2nd half of Spy × Family, along with the new seasons for My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho 100 and many others so they could pass on this leading to Sentai or Netflix getting Urusei, but we'll have to wait and see.

Besides Urusei's release day announcement just happened yesterday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2