• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony: PSVR2 Will Not Be Backward Compatible with PSVR Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superfield

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
I just purchased a second-hand PSVR1 (just to see what all the fuss is about), and this was unfortunately expected. I can't imagine that there could be a one-size-fits-all solution when PSVR1 games worked along a completely different framework of detecting... damn near everything. How do you tell something that was designed to have a static camera looking for colored lights moving around to understand cameras mounted on the headset seeing completely different (or even identical, for that matter) controllers? How do you translate the hardwired control schemes of dual Move controllers (which were never really intended for VR in the first place) to the new Sense controllers that doesn't require many many headaches for the end user? I anticipate that some of the bigger titles will get paid PSVR2 upgrades, but anything else is a no-go.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:17 am Reply with quote
The inputs and tracking of PSVR 1 were completely different, so this isn't unexpected, though I do hope that some of the more notable exclusives, like Iron Man, Astro Bot, and Blood & Truth get PSVR 2 versions.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:34 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
The inputs and tracking of PSVR 1 were completely different, so this isn't unexpected, though I do hope that some of the more notable exclusives, like Iron Man, Astro Bot, and Blood & Truth get PSVR 2 versions.

Yes, the PSVR2 is very different from the first PSVR hence why there's no backward compatibility for PSVR 1 games, and I'll cite this article:

Playstation Lifestyle wrote:
Sony finally confirmed that the PSVR 2 won’t be backward compatible with original PSVR games. PlayStation Senior Vice President of Platform Experience Hideaki Nishino confirmed the news in an interview on the Official PlayStation Podcast.

Q: While I have you here, I’ve been getting some questions from some friends and some gamers just about whether or not they might be able to play original PSVR games on PSVR 2. So what say you?

Nishino: PSVR games are not compatible with PSVR2 because PSVR2 is designed to deliver a truly next-generation VR experience. PSVR has much more advanced features like an all-new controller with haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and inside-out tracking eye tracking in it, 3D audio is coming, and HDR, of course.

Nishino didn’t get into particulars, but it sounds like there are one of two issues with PSVR 2 backward compatibility:

Hardware issues
Software issues

The hardware itself could be so different from the original PSVR that there’s just no way to implement backward compatibility. We’ve seen Sony run into the same problem with the PS4 and PS5 lacking backward compatibility with the PS3.

But there's good news, it looks like many PSVR1 games will get a PSVR2 port according to this latest article from Playstation Lifestyle.

Quote:
Sony Interactive Entertainment broke the bad news yesterday that PSVR 2 isn’t backwards compatible, but according to a new report by a reliable insider, “tons” of developers are creating PSVR 2 versions of their PSVR 1 games. YouTuber PSVR Without Parole, who’s been spot on with their PSVR 2 reports, responded to a follower on Twitter who expressed disappointment over the lack of backwards compatibility, and claimed that PSVR 2 versions of some older games are in development as we speak. However, they didn’t reveal any titles.

So despite PSVR Games will not be backward compatible with PSVR2, many of them are probably getting PSVR2 ports or being set up to get PSVR2 version. So there's not a lot of loss when it comes to Playstation VR games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1