• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Takahiro Sakurai Confirms His Marital Status to Press

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olgita

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Dude's almost 50 years old - Just give him a break Laughing
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
olgita wrote:
Dude's almost 50 years old - Just give him a break Laughing

This is something I could never understand about this industry despite being in it for two decades. Who cares if he is married or not? If you support him then you can just support him. Why would you suddenly have a problem if he is married.....
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I mean...congratulations, I guess it just sucks that the tabloids made him have to reveal it instead of respecting his privacy. But I'm still happy for him.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:43 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
This is something I could never understand about this industry despite being in it for two decades. Who cares if he is married or not? If you support him then you can just support him. Why would you suddenly have a problem if he is married.....

Voice actors aren't much different from idols these days so the idea that they've been 'sullied' or that their fans aren't the #1 thing to them gets them mad. Sakurai in particular is known for his sexy voice that voices many fan favourite hotties. When the Aki Toyosaki thing happened years ago people were crying that she'd use Yui's voice during sex, sullying the character as well.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

Humans are jealous by nature. If you got a crush on someone and they start talking about other people and their love life it can hurt people and make them upset. No one likes hearing how the guy or girl you have a crush on talking about how much amazing sex they're having with not-you. So it's best to avoid subjects like that entirely to avoid putting off fans. And a lot of people's marketability and fandom revolve around attraction.

It's not exclusive to Japan either. A lot of streamers used to try to hide the fact that they were married as well. They knew the fans and donations would start drying up if their fans realize they can no longer entertain the false hope that they can win someone over by spending more and more money on them. That market has kind of shifted partially away from that with the rise of OnlyFans though where people can now directly pay money to see sexual content of said streamer and cut out all pretenses. It's what saved some of them after their marriage became public.

So long as humans remain jealous creatures, it will always be a big deal to people.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Congrats!

Indeed, it is HIS PRIVATE LIFE, if he wants he declared about it.

Fedora-san wrote:
That market has kind of shifted partially away from that with the rise of OnlyFans though where people can now directly pay money to see sexual content of said streamer and cut out all pretenses. It's what saved some of them after their marriage became public.

So long as humans remain jealous creatures, it will always be a big deal to people.

Yes, but OnlyFans is a specific site, people there work in industry and you know about it.

This is completely another matter.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

Humans are jealous by nature. If you got a crush on someone and they start talking about other people and their love life it can hurt people and make them upset. No one likes hearing how the guy or girl you have a crush on talking about how much amazing sex they're having with not-you. So it's best to avoid subjects like that entirely to avoid putting off fans. And a lot of people's marketability and fandom revolve around attraction.

That's all well and good if someone is 13 years old, but if they're a grown-ass adult and still harbor those sorts of delusions, then quite frankly they need professional help.
Anne F

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

That's all well and good if someone is 13 years old, but if they're a grown-ass adult and still harbor those sorts of delusions, then quite frankly they need professional help.

This reminds of a particularly cringey moment during a stream I was watching a while back. The streamer had an announcement to make (I don't remember what it was exactly, but it had to do with their channel or something) and this person in the chat had the guts to say they hoped it wasn't an engagement announcement because it meant they still had a chance. The streamer's girlfriend was in the chat too and a lot us were like yikes.

It's also really bad with stage actors and foreigners. I've had to stop watching certain actors' streams on instagram because people say some of the weirdest, inappropriate crap, demand the actor say specific stuff in their native language, and overall have no manners.

Anyways, I am happy for Sakurai, but it's really, really sad that he (and many others in the entertainment industry) have had to deal with this.
dreamEnd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't affect his career. Idol fans are among the most toxic fans in the world. They live in a dreamland where they think stage persona = real life persona
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:02 am Reply with quote
Sakurai's business is his own so it should be respected.

Quote:
Cloud in Final Fantasy VII.

Sakurai first voiced Cloud in Kingdom Hearts in 2002 before the FF7 series starting with Advent Children.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:08 am Reply with quote
dreamEnd wrote:
I hope this doesn't affect his career. Idol fans are among the most toxic fans in the world. They live in a dreamland where they think stage persona = real life persona

Sakurai has been working since the late 90s and has voiced plenty of famous characters like Tentomon in Digimon, Joe Shimamura in Cyborg 009, Suzaku in Code Geass, Cloud Strife since Advent Children, and Rohan in JoJo, and he still gets plenty of important roles, I don't think this will affect his career.
Still, the way the voice acting industry in Japan, at least when it comes to anime and video game voice acting, works over there leaves me very confused. I know that plenty of actors and actresses would like to have some privacy, but the way the have to hide their relationships because of some fans sounds pretty disturbing, they're human after all.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:12 am Reply with quote
dreamEnd wrote:

This must be the para-social relationship everyone is talking about. Like a personal relationship with someone in the public. Interactions that appear very close/intimate/dedicated to specific individuals.

I totally know that everything trend towards idols. These VAs do WAAAAY more than just voicing acting. They have to sing, live perform, go on talk shows, radio hosting, CDs and a billion other things. They are required to create a public persona to keep fans loyal, and most importantly, keep paying money.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I'm so happy to read this! I've been wondering (hoping) for several years now if he's not only married, but has a kid or two, because he's been picking up some offbeat roles aimed at little kids, like Butt Detective and Insect Land. Like maybe stuff he could share with his own kids? Yeah, I'm a major fangirl, but my fantasies are just him having a regular, happy life outside of work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of an article here in ANN about a social media "uptick" caused by a photo of a Japanese VA wearing a ring (unclear if it's a wedding ring or not).
Who was s/he again?
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Reminds me of an article here in ANN about a social media "uptick" caused by a photo of a Japanese VA wearing a ring (unclear if it's a wedding ring or not).
Who was s/he again?

It was Suzuko Mimori: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-03-27/voice-actress-idol-suzuko-mimori-caught-ring-handed/.100280

Not sure if that was a relationship ring or not, but the fact it was noteworthy is pathetic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1