• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Acquires Oshi no Ko Idol Anime for 2023

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
though hidive's UI sucks and aren't transparent about the missing titles (where the hell is Hozuki's Coolheadedness S1???????/), I'm glad they're getting big name titles like Oshi no Ko on their service
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:14 pm Reply with quote
While I have no problem getting Hidive just for Oshi no Ko, I can imagine a lot of people are going to be extremely disappointed in these news. Especially in territories where Hidive isn't available. The general popularity of this anime just isn't going to be the same as if it was on Crunchyroll, and that's sad because the manga's excellent and the anime looks promising.

Oh right, this means Sentai's gonna release a blu-ray for this show with ugly yellow subs. Ngh.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Holy mackerel! HiDive has really been steeping it up and getting some certified bangers since AMC came along. This is definitely my most anticipated upcoming show and I'm surprised they nabbed it so early!
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This is a massive win for HiDive. I understand all the issues about it not being available outside the US, but it's clear sentai is trying to bring their a game
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
While I have no problem getting Hidive just for Oshi no Ko, I can imagine a lot of people are going to be extremely disappointed in these news. Especially in territories where Hidive isn't available. The general popularity of this anime just isn't going to be the same as if it was on Crunchyroll, and that's sad because the manga's excellent and the anime looks promising.

Oh right, this means Sentai's gonna release a blu-ray for this show with ugly yellow subs. Ngh.
While it won't be as popular as if it was on crunchy, titles like this are the only way for HiDive to gain new customers. You're not going to do it with trash shows
TiagoCosta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
This is a massive win for HiDive. I understand all the issues about it not being available outside the US, but it's clear sentai is trying to bring their a game

It's not available everywhere, but sure it's available over here (Portugal) which Funimation/wakanin and such never were.

In theory if they keep gaining subs it's only a matter or time until they add more territories.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
TiagoCosta wrote:
09jcg wrote:

It's not available everywhere, but sure it's available over here (Portugal) which Funimation/wakanin and such never were.

In theory if they keep gaining subs it's only a matter or time until they add more territories.

If Sentai's strategy is gain subs by paying less for less territories to acquire big shows then they have A LOT of work to do if they want to catch up because CR just recently surpassed 10 million paid subscribers per Sony's Q2 earnings call.

Last edited by paulchaested on Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TiagoCosta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
TiagoCosta wrote:
09jcg wrote:

If Sentai's strategy is to pay less for less territories to acquire big shows then they have A LOT of work to do if they want to catch up because CR just recently surpassed 10 million paid subscribers per Sony's Q2 earnings call.

They aren't paying less as most of stuff they have picked up (not sequels) have ww but asia rights to them.

It's more on the translation side of things the way I see it, hence they sublicense some of their stuff to German and French stream websites for example.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I understand all the issues about it not being available outside the US, but it's clear sentai is trying to bring their a game

Well, at least they could try to enter other markets such as Latin America, from which they left a few months ago, only staying in a few select countries. They are quite behind compared to other anime streaming services like Crunchyroll, Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max and even Disney+ which have series availabe in many countries, both subbed and dubbed. There's even a Latin American anime streaming service, Anime Onegai, that acquired some some licenses that were owned by Sentai until they expired, and made good quality dubs, but it's not going to work with new shows and they're not going to wait until those licenses expire. If HiDive/Sentai's shows aren't legally available outside the U.S. most people are going to pirate them.
I heard HiDive and AMC are trying to improve and enter the LatAm market, but according to some rumors is not going to be a streaming service as the others.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
TiagoCosta wrote:

They aren't paying less as most of stuff they have picked up (not sequels) have ww but asia rights to them.

It's more on the translation side of things the way I see it, hence they sublicense some of their stuff to German and French stream websites for example.

They're basically reallocating all their resources and funds to acquire as much shows as possible by shutting down HiDive in several regions.

Good luck to them, literally a lot of comments on their Twitter are people complaining about them acquiring shows IN GENERAL and advocating piracy.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
If Sentai's strategy is gain subs by paying less for less territories to acquire big shows then they have A LOT of work to do if they want to catch up because CR just recently surpassed 10 million paid subscribers per Sony's Q2 earnings call.
Oh they will never ever catch up to CR. Their library is massive, they have been at this longer than anyone else, they have more money allocated to them for bidding they have a much larger dubbing studio as well as access to other studios. Hidive on the other hand has a ton less stuff, most of it old ADV titles, a couple of old Funimation titles and not even all Sentai titles, a much smaller dubbing studio and access to talent and far less money to bid with.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
though hidive's UI sucks and aren't transparent about the missing titles (where the hell is Hozuki's Coolheadedness S1???????/), I'm glad they're getting big name titles like Oshi no Ko on their service

not to mention their 1080p videos are like 2-3Mbps...it's completely unacceptable in 2022. If they were using AV1 it would be a bit better but still half as high as it should be even then. Anime, especially with a decent amount of motion needs at minimum 6-8 Mbps. Ideally 10-12 would solve most compression block issues but they're just too cheap to do it. Anytime HIDIVE gets anything my eyes cry

09jcg wrote:
Erufailon4 wrote:

While it won't be as popular as if it was on crunchy, titles like this are the only way for HiDive to gain new customers. You're not going to do it with trash shows

and this is the issue with streaming platforms in the West. It's not a real competition. A true competition would compete with SERVICE and QUALITY of the platform, not the shows on the platform. At least in other countries (such as Japan) you can watch most shows on like 3-5 different platforms and pick the one that best suits you. Instead we're stuck watching this on HIDIVE at a horribly low bitrate
nat7777

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone read this manga?
From the description and genre of the manga, it seems to be the kind of idol manga with a strange story that can hardly be popular in the West.
I mean, if it was really a big title, Crunchyroll could have easily picked it up (just like they did vinland saga season 2)
This type of manga and anime can only be successful in Japan
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Color me surprised Sentai managed to snag this!
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
nat7777 wrote:
Has anyone read this manga?
From the description and genre of the manga, it seems to be the kind of idol manga with a strange story that can hardly be popular in the West.
I mean, if it was really a big title, Crunchyroll could have easily picked it up (just like they did vinland saga season 2)
This type of manga and anime can only be successful in Japan
The manga is fantastic. Also keep in mind it DOES take place in the Kaguya-sama universe, so it has a bit of a pre-built fanbase

The story has a major twist, which is why the anime premier is going to be over an hour. They're going to get the first twist out of the way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3