• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kaiji Anime's English Dub Reveals Cast, November 28 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_morris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Five months after the announcement and they only pulled out nine episodes?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Still pretty surreal that this is finally being dubbed.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well it took many years of asking, but here it is, the Kaiji dub...cast
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:26 pm Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:
Five months after the announcement and they only pulled out nine episodes?

They said during that original announcement that they'd be putting the dub out in batches that correspond to each part of the story. The episodes announced right now correspond to Restricted Rock-Paper-Scissors, so the next batch will be the Human Derby & Steel Beam Crossing (because there's no point in splitting these up), followed by E-Card, likely combined with Tissue Box Raffle to finish up Season 1. Season 2 will likely be split up into Underground Cee-Lo, followed by the Pachinko Bog being split into sections, maybe between the preparation & the actual "fight" itself, unless Sentai/Hidive wants to drop 17 whole episodes at once to finish things off.
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Its heartwarming to see a show get dubbed over a decade after its release. Now if only someone could give a monogatari a try.

And before anyone brings up the elephant in room concerning a monogatri dub, Gintama has three different dubs and that show is arguably just as hard to translate.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:44 pm Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:
Its heartwarming to see a show get dubbed over a decade after its release. Now if only someone could give a monogatari a try.

And before anyone brings up the elephant in room concerning a monogatri dub, Gintama has three different dubs and that show is arguably just as hard to translate.

At this point I assume Aniplex USA is the reason why Monogatari has not been dubbed in English. Why? Because they are jerks.
brainrotter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:41 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
DevilBrew wrote:

At this point I assume Aniplex USA is the reason why Monogatari has not been dubbed in English. Why? Because they are jerks.

Yeah that's almost certainly why-- AoA is absolutely godawful about dubbing non-action stuff. And the Monogatari audiobooks (which are more like audio dramas) exist, so it's hardly impossible
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:49 am Reply with quote
brainrotter wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
DevilBrew wrote:

Yeah that's almost certainly why-- AoA is absolutely godawful about dubbing non-action stuff. And the Monogatari audiobooks (which are more like audio dramas) exist, so it's hardly impossible

Actually they're bad about dubbing anything. I think Anohana and I Want to Eat Your Pancreas are the only things I know of that they dubbed on their own. Oreimo? Eromanga Sensei? We Never Learn? Saekano? Bunny Girl Senpai? .. Crickets.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:05 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
brainrotter wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
DevilBrew wrote:

Actually they're bad about dubbing anything. I think Anohana and I Want to Eat Your Pancreas are the only things I know of that they dubbed on their own. Oreimo? Eromanga Sensei? We Never Learn? Saekano? Bunny Girl Senpai? .. Crickets.

I wouldn't even count those two. Anohana was a NIS America leftover, and they tried their hand at dubbing including Toradora and A Lull in the Sea before their entire anime market collapsed financially; it's highly likely that making a dub was part of the show's licensing agreement. As for I Want to Eat Your Pancreas, they likely gave it more time and energy because it is a movie (and also in the vein of Your Lie in April, which was a huge success for AoA iirc).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:
Its heartwarming to see a show get dubbed over a decade after its release. Now if only someone could give a Monogatari a try.
I honestly can't see them, or even anyone, going back to dub a 103 episode show that at the end of the day was a pretty small niche in the West. I think that boat sailed after they released the whole series sub-only.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:57 am Reply with quote
I've been wanting to watch Kaiji but was holding off till the dub came out so I'm glad this is being released now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1