• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Farming Life in Another World (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Farming Life in Another World (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 14 Volumes, written by Kinosuke Naito, illustrated by Yasumo)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Zero-G

Genres: fantasy

Themes: farming, harem, isekai, reincarnation

Plot Summary: After Hiraku dies of a serious illness, God brings him back to life, gives his health and youth back, and sends him to a fantasy world of his choice. In order to enjoy his second shot, God bestows upon him the almighty farming tool. Watch as Hiraku digs, chops, and plows in another world in this laidback farming fantasy.

Air Date & Platform:
January 6, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Okay, I didn't really care about the overpowered fantasy farmer anime show last season, I got quickly bored with the whole gimmick. But I really liked the first episode of this, I think because it started off like a farming sim game, like Stardew Valley or Minecraft. And I didn't really mind the overpowered elements, I think because we did see some of his limits, I alone have had an interest in watching people play those sorts of games.

Plus, I guess that the main character was fairly likable, even if maybe not a whole lot there, he wasn't annoying. Since this is apparently a harem, I wonder if it will manage to make me care about that.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:16 am Reply with quote
I liked last season's farming series because it was genuinely funny, this one has so little confidence in its premise that it feels like it has to show its larger cast... still not doing much more than farming... before going back to its ISEKAI introduction and its one character... also not doing much farming. He does something, plants grow but it's not farming, it's not even farming in the style of Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley. If you're trying to farm crops but you have to ask, "What am I growing?" then you don't have a farm, you have a weeded wilderness.

I can't call it a bad series from just one episode but I can say it's a bad start.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I like low stakes, slice-of-life shows like this one (or like it seems to be at least) when they are on the same day as some edgy or dark anime. Kind of like a palate cleanser, or sea salt and ice cream. Not sure how edgy or dark *Giant Beasts of Ars* is going to get, but the two ought go pretty well together.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been eating more salads lately so maybe I'm predisposed to like this? It was kind of fun so I'll check out some more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

If there is something I can kind of get annoyed in some of these shows, it is when the main character has to bring in something specifically Japanese, in the Western styled fantasy settings, and it just has to become the norm and simply amazing. But I can also get down with some of the more own setting twist thing, such as the slimes being used as cleaning of water (and possibly toilets), and that the elves really didn't care about being seen in the bath by him. The different culture and different ideas on things, can also just be refreshing after so many shows doing that lucky pervert thing so often.

Although also a little weird that there appears to only be elven women. Did they explain that there are no men or something? Not that I am going to create too much of a big stink about the whole harem thing, where sure it can be a bit wish fulfilment, but at least just being straightforward kind of feels more refreshing so many shows I would say just being cowards of going towards a harem, but can't really say it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:05 am Reply with quote
From a pure story-telling perspective, I don't understand the value of adding a second batch of elven women to the first. We have a vampire, an angel, a group of elven women... it seems like some new kind of chick should have been introduced to keep the pattern going. Anyway, I wonder when industrialization is gonna hit Farm Town?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The thing I don't get is that if all these elven women are determined to repopulate their race, and they're all determined to live with one male...errr...shouldn't somebody in that village give a public education lecture about inbreeding?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:53 am Reply with quote
Hey, if it's good enough for backwoods Kentucky...

*start up Duelling Banjos melody*
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:53 am Reply with quote
So, there was this Seinfeld episode where Jerry asked his girlfriend if she would be willing to have a threesome with him and her bff. He was really trying to get her to break up with him for complicated reasons, but the girlfriend surprised him and said yes, they'd be into it.

And then Jerry broke up with his girlfriend anyhow. When George asked why, Jerry basically said, "It sounds cool, but then I'd be an orgy guy. I can't be an orgy guy. I'd have to buy orgy guy clothes and get an orgy guy car...."

The reason I bring this up is, I get why harem writers have clueless protagonists who act as if they're allergic to sexual relations with a woman. Everybody likes the idea of being attractive and wanted by lots of people (Reverse Harems included here), so there's a certain wish fulfillment thing going on where a guy is surrounded by beautiful women who want to get it on. But to have an actual harem, the MC would have to be an orgy guy. It's a bit like wishing for a zombie apocalypse. Lots of people like the idea of a simpler world with no 9 to 5 grind or politicians, but they wouldn't really want a zombie apocalypse in reality. Me, I don't mind watching harem anime, but I'm convinced that trying to have a simultaneous relationship with four or five women in reality would be its own kind of apocalypse.

Anyway, a lot of harem anime run into problems as they go along. The protagonist either has to make a choice, and then the comedy part starts to get dark and un-fun (think the second season of Haganai if you're familiar with the show) or else, the MC takes on multiple lovers, and then the show just keeps on heaping on new ones since the show is all about the chase, not the domestic bliss or relationship/character development, until it starts to get too ridiculous even for a harem anime.

The reason I went into all this is, I watched episode four of Farming in Another World where the narrator is essentially stuck in a giant ski lodge with beautiful women who want to sleep with him, and all he can think of to pass the time during those long snowbound months is to invent board games.

Fortunately, I don't really watch this show for the relationships. I watch it because it's like a better drawn version of Minecraft where the narrator has a tool that lets him build shelters and furniture and food out of raw materials fast. The real fun/wish fulfillment part is watching the narrator build his own safe place in a surrounding world that feels dangerous.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Oooooh, so THAT'S why I'm not an orgy guy... I don't have the orgy guy clothes or the orgy guy car. It makes so much sense now! And here I thought it was just because I'm repellent to women...

But yes, clearly Farming Life in Another World is not really interested in Humping Life in Another World... except for its Inferno wolf and spider characters. The show spends the absolute minimal effort needed to justify a "harem" tag in the subgenre category but its heart really isn't in it. Unfortunately for the lusty elven maidens, Hiraku's farm does not seem to attract virile male visitors.

Hiraku's complete lack of interest in/terror of sex does, as my esteemed colleague Edjwald points out, place him squarely in typical harem protag territory, but unlike many of his milquetoast brethren, he at least has an excuse. Back on Earth, Hiraku was sick for most of his life, spent a lot of time in hospital, so it kind of figures he never developed much of a libido.

Even though Japanese adult films do assure us that Japanese nurses are a particularly... energetic lot. Or so I've heard.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oooooh, so THAT'S why I'm not an orgy guy... I don't have the orgy guy clothes or the orgy guy car. It makes so much sense now! And here I thought it was just because I'm repellent to women....

Dude, what are you talking about? We're anime fans! That should be solid gold on any dating profile!

(World's worst pep talk giver.)

Edjwald
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
Laughing

Yes, I wouldn't quit your day job as a jailhouse lawyer if I were you. Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Lot going on this episode after weeks of a fairly leisurely, slow plot pace. But the show still managed to get in its share of cooking and eating. I had to pan fry a steak afterwards.

The almighty farming tool is actually a holy spear?

Demons? Dragons? Oh my.

I'd actually enjoy this anime more if they were taking in male villagers as well female villagers, and the author could be content with the MC only ignoring the advances of two or three females instead of a growing army.

Every time the elf maids announce their intention to repopulate the elf race, I turn into an anime character with a round blank face and a big question mark over my head.

Which is a surprisingly useless super power as it turns out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

So the good news is that some men have finally reached the village! The bad news - from the perspective of the lusty elf-maidens - is that they are lizardmen. Probably not prime fodder for Mission: Repopulate. I wonder what those offspring would look like?

Not that he needs it, given the general state of female carnality he is surrounded by, but Hiraku has now added booze to his his arsenal of panty removers. Man, if I was him, I'd be tapping some of that sweet angel booty... mmmm, those heavenly great tracts of... land.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2