• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero-King to Extraordinary Squire (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero-King to Extraordinary Squire (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 8 Volumes, written by Hayaken, illustrated by Nagu)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Studio Comet

Genres: action, adventure, drama, fantasy

Themes: gender switch, reincarnation

Plot Summary: Hero-King Inglis's last wish is to live again as a warrior. Though when he awakens, he realizes he's been reborn as a girl to a noble family. Even when rejected from the knighthood, she sets out to be the most extraordinary squire there ever was.

Air Date & Platform:
January 9, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

If an isekai is a show about a person(s) who gets transported from our world to a completely new world, what do you call a fantasy show where the a person in another world is reincarnated into the future of that other world? Reintasy? Fantacarnation? Somebody needs to come up with a snappy tag.

Anyhoo, this one's okay, I guess. I have a feeling in past seasons I would be dropping it but I'm in some kind of weird, "tolerating virtually everything" mood these days. Winter blahs, maybe? I guess I'm less stingy about devoting my time to middling shows when the weather isn't great.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 3

If an isekai is a show about a person(s) who gets transported from our world to a completely new world, what do you call a fantasy show where the a person in another world is reincarnated into the future of that other world? Reintasy? Fantacarnation?.

Oh God no. Those sound like medical conditions involving renal failure, gas, or heart attacks.

That said, I don't have any better ideas.

Later-carnaters?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:51 am Reply with quote
Laughing

Yes, my offerings did lack textual elegance, for sure. I'm gonna go with rebotasy, as a combination of reborn and fantasy. Yes, I know it sounds like a vaguely alarming surgical procedure, but it's just a function of the linguistic cards we were dealt.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 3

Anyhoo, this one's okay, I guess. I have a feeling in past seasons I would be dropping it but I'm in some kind of weird, "tolerating virtually everything" mood these days. Winter blahs, maybe? I guess I'm less stingy about devoting my time to middling shows when the weather isn't great.

I'm the opposite right now. I'm watching so many shows that life is starting to cough impatiently and remind me that I'm supposed to be paying more attention to it. I'm dropping a couple shows that I might normally be sticking with a little longer. Like Misfit of Demon King Academy for example. I liked the first season, and normally I'd stick with it out of loyalty a bit longer, but the novelty of the ridiculously OP hammer approach has worn off a bit, and the show keeps referring to epoch shaking events and incredibly powerful personages and past histories that I know nothing about as a way to move the plot along.

Or Kubo Won't Let Me be Invisible. I've got nothing against the show, I watched When Will Ayumu Make His Move all the way through to the end, and it wasn't much more compelling than Kubo. It was just a less competitive season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote

...what is this "life" thing of which you speak? Wink

Veering back on topic for a bit, I am somewhat confused by Inglis's agenda. He was a hero-king in his previous life and I guess has no desire to return to a role where an entire country depends on him again... yet as a she, she is doing everything possible to stand out as the most kick-assy squire who ever did squire? Um, okay.

I have to confess that "battle addicts" are not my favourite character trope. I don't mind tortured killing machines like Guts from Berserk but otherwise seemingly normal types who don't have tragic backstories and just rilly, rilly, rilly love fighting kind of turn me off.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:56 am Reply with quote
The mysterious stranger in a mask is totally the brother, right? That almost feels too obvious when they were trying to make it all mysterious about who he is.

I also really don't understand what the point in turning the Highlander woman into a monster was. Didn't it just make her stronger or more likely to hurt random people? They have set a motive for the bad guy faction to make us think that they might be good for what they want to accomplish, but turning the highlanders into monsters seems like a really dumb idea that just hurts the people they are claiming to want to help.

If they have the ability to poison them with the magic stuff, why not just use regular poison?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:40 am Reply with quote
Blood. Well - Inglis' raison d' etre for reincarnating is to become the greatest fighter possible. That was the thing that was repressed for the good of the people, which apparently created a bit of resentment or longing or whathave you. Like someone with massive talent who wanted to be a singer but gave it up for marriage. Hard to become the world's greatest fighter discretely without going the Eminence in Shadow Route.

But I'm not a big fan of the battle maniac trope either. It's okay for a supporting character, but for an MC it's kind of annoying. I always felt like they went that route with Black Summoner just to give the MC a distinct personality after making him an amnesiac.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:40 am Reply with quote
Dusky - Yeah, the anime has a hard time finding a balance between being a light hearted show not to be taken seriously or thought about too much, and one with a complicated, morally ambiguous, darker world. It winds up not making a whole helluva a lot of sense sometimes.

Totes agree about the brother. I'm assuming it's the real reason the rebel leader was so accommodating too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald - ah, yes, your explanation for Inglis's rationale makes sense. I think I'm probably conflating her with the MC from this season's "Strongest Exorcist" who doesn't want to be recognized as a Supreme Bad-ass since that got him bladed back on Earth, yet is doing absolutely nothing to hide his amazing power.

And given what you laid out, Inglis being a battle addict makes logical story sense... but I still don't enjoy it. By the way, does anybody remember why Inglis can't become a knight? Was that a voluntary decision on her part or was it imposed on her?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And given what you laid out, Inglis being a battle addict makes logical story sense... but I still don't enjoy it. By the way, does anybody remember why Inglis can't become a knight? Was that a voluntary decision on her part or was it imposed on her?

It kind of looked like she did it to herself, like she purposely disrupted the process for getting the crest, but I remember thinking that it was weird that she would do that to herself as apparently she can't use certain weapons because of it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

They finally made it to the academy! I was starting to think it would be a running gag that they were always on their way but would never actually get there. There's a character named Liselotte who bears a certain resemblance to Tsundere Villainess Lieselotte - probably including that fact that she's not really bad. Given that, in the OP, Liselotte appears to be part of Inglis's group, I have to assume her attitude towards Leone is going to change. I like the principal.
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:29 am Reply with quote
is it me or does this show's animation seem bad? CR put a highlight and it just looked stiff.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
is it me or does this show's animation seem bad? CR put a highlight and it just looked stiff.

Well...yes and no. I don't think the animation is as good as Demon Slayer, but I don't think it's as bad as Demon Lord Retry either..

Looks like typical garage sale isekai animation to me, but I don't recall getting annoyed by too much CGI or repeated sequences or too many still frames here. Then again, my standards are pretty low compared to animation purists.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yep, that pretty much is my view too. And by "pretty much" I mean "exactly."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2