• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony: PlayStation 5 Should Be 'Much Easier' to Buy in 2023

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:18 am Reply with quote
I hope you're right, Sony, because I've made it one of my New Year's Resolutions to get a PS5.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah right, easier for the scalpers to buy them and keep the prices high or better yet, retailers will buy more but sell em high cause everyone has gotten used to the larger prices.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:51 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Yeah right, easier for the scalpers to buy them and keep the prices high or better yet, retailers will buy more but sell em high cause everyone has gotten used to the larger prices.

Nah, scalpers will be busy hoarding the PS5 Slim.

Joking aside, lately, I've been finding PS5s in stores more often.
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:21 am Reply with quote
I still have yet to see a PS5 on the shelf in any physical store. In placed like Best Buy, they have frosted glass in the cabinets that would be used to house them, and places like Target fill them with controllers. Not only do they not have the consoles in stock, they're diverting the stock that they do have almost exclusively to their online stores, which scalpers vacuum up with their bots. Things have gotten better recently, but it's still effectively an online-only item.

If anything, I largely blame the retailers for this situation. If they simply sold consoles in stores like every other mainstream product, scalpers would at the least be limited to geographic areas that they could physically get to, and a few jerks at the beginning wouldn't lead to the perpetual cycle of unavailability that we've had this generation.

I really hope that Sony just releases the rest of their back catalog to the PC (or at least Bloodborne and Demon's Souls) so I won't even need one of their consoles. I really don't like another giant expensive box under my TV for the games that I can only play on their systems.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:01 am Reply with quote
Here in London, the PS5 has been fairly consistently on the shelves since early December. It's been in stock on Amazon UK for a similar length of time. There's a 1-per-family limit, but that's about it.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Why get a PS5 when a mid-range PC is more than satisfactory? PS5 has barely anything worthwhile that wasn't already on PS3 or PS4 and has been on PC or is coming to PC.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Let's get the console price back to what it was before. At a minimum. The price jump reminded me of the PS3 hybris. The worst Sony decision in almost 2 decades. Their one big L this gen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ninten

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:26 pm Reply with quote
We're in the 3rd year of this current "next gen" and I still have no incentive to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series, it's pretty crazy. They really need to make console generations longer from now on.

EDIT: typo

Last edited by Ninten on Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Ninten wrote:
We're in the 3rd year of this current "next gen" and I still have no insentive to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series, it's pretty crazy. They really need to make console generations longer from now on.

Right after other companies give their tech longer life spans.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Ninten wrote:
We're in the 3rd year of this current "next gen" and I still have no insentive to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series, it's pretty crazy. They really need to make console generations longer from now on.

Probably because "insentive" isn't a word Razz
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Will wait for Death Stranding 2. Or Silent Hill F.

Whichever's first...

Then again, PS4 is still eating pretty good with Grim Grimoire on the way, and likely whatever Project Re;Fantasy is.
LadonTree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I wanting one of these for a while, then gave up and lost interest. Maybe I'll get one if I don't have to look to hard.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Here in the US it's been constantly available on the Playstation Store.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ninten wrote:
We're in the 3rd year of this current "next gen" and I still have no incentive to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series, it's pretty crazy. They really need to make console generations longer from now on.

EDIT: typo

I think this will be the first Playstation that I won't own. If the availability was reasonable early on, I might have picked one up, but I'm not buying one from a reseller. I don't really care about the increase in price this gen as it isn't even half of what I spent on a GPU. They just don't have any exclusive must haves for me, and the appeal of using it to play PS4 games after passing on the PS4 Pro has disappeared as my backlog of PS4 games I want to play has disappeared. Now my backlog is on Steam so even if they do pull one really exciting exclusive out, I'd literally be buying a PS5 for one game.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:12 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Here in the US it's been constantly available on the Playstation Store.

You mean PS Direct. But yeah, ever since the release of the GOW: Ragnarok bundle, getting a PS5 was already easier (in the US), though yeah, most won't want the bundle, but the console itself.

I assume other regions have their availability different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3