• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invesible and My Dress Up Darling comparison

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zfunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:45 pm Reply with quote
So I just saw episode 1 of Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible, and nothing wrong with the show it is fine, but tell me if I am the only one that feels this way, but it is My Dress Up Darling without the cosplay. It is almost the exact same show except for the cosplay and because it is for a younger audience, has more innocence and less sexual.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:48 am Reply with quote
It doesn’t feel at all like that to me. The show seems a lot more like Teasing Master Takagi-san than it does My Dress-up Darling.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:46 pm Reply with quote
yeah, I think it's closer to Takagi as well
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:29 am Reply with quote
We're talking about two related but different genres - "The introvert has a relationship with the popular girl who has a surprising quirky side" anime and "The introvert is teased by someone who secretly likes him" anime.

I think the reason "Kubo Won't Let me be Invisible" is a bit confusing is that it can't make up its mind which genre it wants to belong to. When they're inside the classroom and sitting side by side it's more like Teasing Master (though not as good in my opinion). The scene where she gets him in trouble by getting him to draw attention to himself for example. When it's outside the classroom, it's more like the other genre. The shower scene for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1