• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - Memorial Edition English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
I thought this show was just the Movies cut into TV episodes, why does it need re-dubbing.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:36 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I thought this show was just the Movies cut into TV episodes, why does it need re-dubbing.

There are a couple of new scenes that need to be recorded and it sounds like the folks at NYAV Post were interested in a do-over after Miura's passing so they just went for it.

Going off the first episode, it does seem like it's basically the movie's script nearly beat for beat so I almost thought they did just re-use the audio from it, but the line delivery is different, and slightly improved (granted the existing dub was already strong to begin with) so I guess it's kind of like a touch-up more than anything. Either way it's cool to see Marc Diaraison doing stuff again. He basically dropped off the radar after whatever went down with Berserk 2016
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:42 am Reply with quote
It should also be pointed out the old dub was owned by Viz Media which is no longer licensed by them. Crunchyroll doesn't magically own the rights to that old dub just because they own this new version of the anime and presumably it is cheaper to just rehire the original cast to make a new dub than pay the Japanese licensors for Viz's dub and then try to sync up the old dialog with the new edit.
kakashi12210

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:43 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Either way it's cool to see Marc Diaraison doing stuff again. He basically dropped off the radar after whatever went down with Berserk 2016

Unless I'm remembering wrong what happened with Berserk 2016 is the original cast held strong and wanted them to bring back the original director, Michael Sinterniklaas, or else they wouldn't return. They felt like he was part of the reason they were able to deliver the performance they did. So instead of offering to bring back the same director they just recast everyone.

At least this is what I remember the VA for Griffith saying on Twitter at the time.
SP654

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:12 am Reply with quote
I wish they make new episodes of berserk already i’m tired of seeing reruns even though they are rebooted they should really pick up where they left off in Berserk 2017
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they went with NYAV post for cast consistency.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:40 am Reply with quote
Thank God. I was terrified they'd go with the Berserk 2016 cast. That'd be terrifying.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:19 pm Reply with quote
SP654 wrote:
I wish they make new episodes of berserk already i’m tired of seeing reruns even though they are rebooted they should really pick up where they left off in Berserk 2017

Agreed. I'd do terrible things to get my hands on more Berserk.
Soul_Punisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:37 pm Reply with quote
So glad they are at the very least getting the OG dub back and not that new age Netflix LA dub Crap. They did for 2016.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:26 am Reply with quote
Soul_Punisher wrote:
So glad they are at the very least getting the OG dub back and not that new age Netflix LA dub Crap. They did for 2016.

Uh...Netflix had nothing to do with the 2016 series and last I checked, Marc Diraison, Carrie Keranen, and most of the cast were LA talent. That's why they usually appear alongside Sean Chiplock, who is also LA talent.

Like, there are complaints to be had about the 2016 dub, but none of yours are accurate. Also, just for the record, literally every actor in the 2016 dub have put out great performances in other projects.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:57 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the memorial edition. How much different is it from the Golden Age Trilogy?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:42 am Reply with quote
Did Sean Schemmel still make it in?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll didn't dub the series in English yet? In Latin America CR began streaming its Neutral Spanish dub since October, though since a couple of weeks that they stopped releasing episodes, something that also affected others shows like Spy X Family, Blue Lock and some others. Luckily, on Sunday a new dubbed was released, and interestingly people noticed that that in that episode the character of Ubik was dubbed by Alan Ituriel, the creator of the cartoon series Villanous and the voice of Black Hat from the same show, and he later confirmed it.
Incidentally, this is the first Berserk project dubbed into Neutral Spanish, even the release of the 1997 show on Netflix is sub-only.
GenderBenderDefender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
I haven't seen the memorial edition. How much different is it from the Golden Age Trilogy?

It's practically the same thing. Literally identical almost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1