• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams New Pokémon Ultimate Journeys Anime Episodes, Power Rangers 30th Anniversary S

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope for a Power Rangers series that doesn't obsess over Mighty Morphin. The nostalgia is embarrassing at this point.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
I hope for a Power Rangers series that doesn't obsess over Mighty Morphin. The nostalgia is embarrassing at this point.

Power Rangers has basically been dead for years, ever since toy sales for it plummeted. All they have left at this point is pandering to nostalgia.

Still, it is embarrassing to make a 30th anniversary special for a franchise and make all the marquee actors in it be from the first 3 years.
WoodDude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:32 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

Still, it is embarrassing to make a 30th anniversary special for a franchise and make all the marquee actors in it be from the first 3 years.

30th anniversary of the original series, so it makes sense.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

Power Rangers has basically been dead for years, ever since toy sales for it plummeted. All they have left at this point is pandering to nostalgia.

This reunion special is literally the brain child of David Yost and Walter Jones who have been pushing for a Power Rangers reunion special for years now. There's no need to insult the actors as "pandering" or calling it "embarrassing" for something they're putting in a lot of effort and love into making something special for the fans. You can just watch anything else.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This reunion special is literally the brain child of David Yost and Walter Jones who have been pushing for a Power Rangers reunion special for years now. There's no need to insult the actors as "pandering" or calling it "embarrassing" for something they're putting in a lot of effort and love into making something special for the fans. You can just watch anything else.

Seriously. The majority of people out there over the age of 30 only care about Power Rangers in the context of the original seasons that we all watched as kids. What's wrong with wanting to celebrate that?
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:

It seems most people would rather watch anything else, since Power Rangers has become a rotten corpse paraded around by a small number of people who think 1993 was the peak of entertainment. Which, yes, making a celebration of 30 years that's not actually a celebration, but more of an excuse to get the buddies together while you pretend you're still relevant is incredibly embarrassing.
Slips Python

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:41 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:

Mighty Morphin aka the original series is the most popular one and honestly the only one most people care about. It makes sense it gets all the love. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is best looked at as a separate brand from the franchise as a whole. Think of it like the original 80s Ninja Turtles, Transformers, and similar shows. The OG versions are the most popular ones and will always get top billing even if the newer series might have their fans. MMPR is a different beast entirely than the rest of the Power Rangers brand.

Although I will say I'm pretty tired of these modern 'sequels' or 'specials' that seem to be so common these days for streaming services. Full House, iCarly, That 70s Show, Boy Meets World, etc. It's a bit depressing seeing childhood characters and actors really old to the point they may not have many years left on Earth. It's very harrowing to me. And also those series tend to suck and miss the point of the original for the sake of cheap nostalgia mining. I'll probably watch this since it's a special and not a full blown series, but just the trailer alone makes me feel old as hell. At least there wasn't any weird cringy modernization in it like with the That 90s Show trailer I saw.

Now the real question is if Bulk and Skull will be in it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:53 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

It seems most people would rather watch anything else, since Power Rangers has become a rotten corpse paraded around by a small number of people who think 1993 was the peak of entertainment. Which, yes, making a celebration of 30 years that's not actually a celebration, but more of an excuse to get the buddies together while you pretend you're still relevant is incredibly embarrassing.
They've been making nothing but new original stories and characters for Power Rangers for the past two and a half decades. You can watch any of those for free on the Hasbro YouTube channel or watch Dino Fury or the other recent Hasbro shows on Netflix that are all new characters and stories. This is a special intended to celebrate the original MMPR and again is the idea of David Yost and Walter Jones who had to fight tooth and nail with Hasbro to get this special approved. Literally the exact opposite of pandering. It's ok to just admit you've outgrown Power Rangers and go watch The Last of Us or something.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:55 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

It seems most people would rather watch anything else, since Power Rangers has become a rotten corpse paraded around by a small number of people who think 1993 was the peak of entertainment.

The Simpsons have been doing it since 1989, South Park’s been doing it since 1997 and if we go outside of the U.S. there are some shows that have been doing it since the 60’s and 70’s. If the people who enjoy those shoes can have their fun Power Rangers fans still in love with the original show can have their’s.
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:

I seriously doubt that. So what it is not as big as it was back in the 90s? I still enjoy PR despite being in my 30s.
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:15 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:

It seems most people would rather watch anything else, since Power Rangers has become a rotten corpse paraded around by a small number of people who think 1993 was the peak of entertainment.

The Simpsons have been doing it since 1989, South Park’s been doing it since 1997 and if we go outside of the U.S. there are some shows that have been doing it since the 60’s and 70’s. If the people who enjoy those shoes can have their fun Power Rangers fans still in love with the original show can have their’s.

Basically, no matter how old an series is, if it's still popular, old and new fans are going to keep watching it?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder if this Power Rangers special is going to be in the canon with the "main universe." Will they at the very least meet with the Dino Fury rangers?
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:30 pm Reply with quote
To me, Power Rangers is like an live-action Pokemon because even though it got some problems, both franchises are still being popular. I don't mind checking this out since I enjoyed the Hasbro Era PR: Beast Morphers and Dino Fury after skipping the entire Neo-Saban Era.

As for Pokemon, I seriously want to see if the rest of UJ can be released this year.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I would guess the reason Power Rangers has mostly died out is there's no real need for it anymore. There's no real need for Power Rangers in this day and age when people can watch Super Sentai and other tokusatsu straight from Japan very easily. Nostalgia for the original series is one thing but I would guess the reason new series haven't caught on is the same reason why you don't see companies trying to do edited anime dubs aimed at kids anymore. The last one I can remember was Glitter Force which was a huge failure, which makes sense because you can just watch the original very easily. Even kids can since there's literally tons of anime on Netflix already so why would they watch an edited-for-kids adaption instead?

I think thats also why Power Rangers is really dipping its toes into comics. They're far cheaper to make so even just selling a few thousand copies is profitable compared to the number of cost-cutting methods and loopholes they've had to do to just break even like moving the entire production to New Zealand ages ago where they don't have to pay as much and avoid the Unions.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2