• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Anime Gets Theatrical Project This Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oviraptor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind CG animation myself, and designs by Ilya Kuvshinov are great update to how GitS characters look nowadays, but I still think that for this franchise to return to its glory days, it needs at least to have a traditional animation.
JRPictures

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Translation of the show's official Twitter account suggests this is a movie edit of S2: https://twitter.com/gitssac2045/status/1639447010045579268
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:10 am Reply with quote
Oviraptor wrote:
I don't mind CG animation myself, and designs by Ilya Kuvshinov are great update to how GitS characters look nowadays, but I still think that for this franchise to return to its glory days, it needs at least to have a traditional animation.

Why does it “need” to have traditional animation though?

And what does traditional even mean?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:33 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
And what does traditional even mean?
I would assume either 2D animation with Cels like the 95 Film or 2D animation with Digipaint like the original Stand Alone Complex.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:15 am Reply with quote
Traditional animation means 2d cel animation. In today's age of technology that practice could very well become obsolete. I do like the CG animation for SAC_2045, and Motoko's new look. Can't wait to see this, altough I haven't even watched SAC_2045 yet. Haven't had the HD space for it, since I don't have Netflix.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Personally I highly prefer the Mamoru Oshii movies.

The perfect blend of 2D and 3D CGI into a mesmerizing world that's distinctly beautifully different from anything else out there.

Hopefully we'll see another slavish film like INNOCENCE.

I also like the 2D SAC. The new CG SAC is nice, but doesn't feel as medium-pushing as the other two.

Nothing wrong with CG... it's just that I have higher standards for what's possible. And right now, we can get better more impressive looking things running in real-time on UnReal Engine V.

The Ilya designs are nice, but everything else looks sub-par. The Blade Runner series they did had better quality imo. But they still lack impact visually and stylistically compared to the standard SAC and especially the GITS2 Innocence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1