• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haikara-San: Here Comes Miss Modern Part 1 and 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I remember enjoying Part 1 back when it aired in theaters. While nothing groundbreaking story-wise, it still felt like a breath of fresh air for being a Japan-set historical drama, and for being a shoujo story not set in high school. And while it's not dazzling by anime film standards, it was nice to see a shojo story with this level of animation.

I recall liking Benio but don't remember much else unfortunately. I'll have to give Part 1 another watch some time, and finally see Part 2. And maybe one day I can even find a way to read some of the manga, though that'll probably have to be in Japanese because I see a pretty much 0% chance of something like that getting an English release.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
As someone who loves the Haikara-san manga, I have thoughts about these movies, that can be summed up as "terribly, painfully, but predictably underwhelming - aimless, vision-less, soulless." :/

Starting with Miyano Mamoru yet again doing "Miyano 'Princely Ikemen' Mamoru" instead of acting (standing out like a sore thumb from the otherwise excellent voice acting), through the writing tweaking scenes and storylines in ways that either end up making no sense for the characters or conveying an entirely wrong message, to the whole thing just lacking the whimsy and fun and over-the-top, melodramatic passion that made the manga what it is, that made Benio, Ranmaru, Tousei, etc* such memorable characters... this adaptation was flat and boring and overall simply underwhelming. I wonder if these movies could inspire anyone to read the manga, and I kind of hate it that for the majority of viewers whom I bet it didn't inspire to do that, this is going to be Haikara-san. :/

*Not Shinobu, heh. Shinobu was always kind of boring and one note. Which is why it sucks extra that Miyano phoned it in like that, there was opportunity to give him some personality here through acting.

Cho_Desu wrote:
being a shoujo story not set in high school.

There's a lot of those out there, though? Even romances. Fantasy, history, mystery, horror, sci-fi, or even just plain slice of life or romance, there's a looooot of shoujo manga not set in high school. Anime smile + sweatdrop They just tend not to be adapted into anime for some really weird marketing reasons. Pick up a magazine like Mystery Bonita, Wings or even Princess for a bunch of shoujo manga with non high school settings.

Cho_Desu wrote:
And maybe one day I can even find a way to read some of the manga, though that'll probably have to be in Japanese because I see a pretty much 0% chance of something like that getting an English release.

If you're OK with Japanese it's available as ebooks at every service.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I like the first movie, and even own it on Blu-Ray! The English dub is pretty good, too! A shame the second movie didn't get dubbed. I should probably rewatch the first one in Japanese so I can watch the second one.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Is the second movie available in North America again? The first one got a blu-ray, but apparently that sold so terribly that the second was streaming only, and only for like a couple months on Amazon.

I enjoyed them, but they definitely felt like a shadow of a better manga (which I'll hopefully find time to read one day).
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Both movies are now streaming on Crunchyroll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:17 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Cho_Desu wrote:
being a shoujo story not set in high school.

There's a lot of those out there, though? Even romances. Fantasy, history, mystery, horror, sci-fi, or even just plain slice of life or romance, there's a looooot of shoujo manga not set in high school. Anime smile + sweatdrop They just tend not to be adapted into anime for some really weird marketing reasons. Pick up a magazine like Mystery Bonita, Wings or even Princess for a bunch of shoujo manga with non high school settings.

Yeah, was talking about anime there. I get that there's certainly more variety for manga, at least in Japan. Have always been curious about all the classic shoujo-aimed horror series over there, for example.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I remember liking the first movie a lot more than the second one, it may have dragged a bit at times but it was better than the lightning fast pace of the second movie. I understand that the old anime probably has better character development, but man having 42 episodes and only getting to spoiler[Benio meeting Shinobu again with everything being wrapped up in the last episode] I'd honestly just take a rushed complete story than a glacially slow half story. There's no way for me to watch the old anime or read the manga anyway.

It's sad that the second movie will never be dubbed or released on blu ray, I'll forever have a blu ray labelled "Part 1" alone.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:07 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I understand that the old anime probably has better character development, but man having 42 episodes and only getting to spoiler[Benio meeting Shinobu again with everything being wrapped up in the last episode].

That's on the old anime - the manga is only 8 volumes long (technically 7.5 where 7 is the story and there's a handful of side stories) so let's just say choices were made in the old series. The manga is paced pretty well, and it could be faithfully adapted in two cours, tops.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:15 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Starting with Miyano Mamoru yet again doing "Miyano 'Princely Ikemen' Mamoru" instead of acting (standing out like a sore thumb from the otherwise excellent voice acting)
This isn't the answer I was necessarily looking for in the comments, but dammit. if there's one thing I always wonder about when I see him in the cast list... I feel old remembering the days when he would actually act. These movies are at least good for a quick dose of Hayamin, I hope?

Well, guess I'll put it on my "Badaptation First" list and start window-shopping my usual ebook shops.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote
So does the 2nd movie have an English dub?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I mean, I like Miyano's acting just fine here, but that's just me...
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:52 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Both movies are now streaming on Crunchyroll.

And hopefully it could lead to Discotek or even Right Stuf could pick up the 1978/79 TV series for US release in the near future. I hope the manga can be pick up for US/NA release in the near future too (I can see either Kodansha USA/Vertical imprint, Seven Sea Entertainment, Dark Horse manga, or Udon Entertainment could pick up the license for the manga) if the 2-part films does good enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:01 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
SHD wrote:
Starting with Miyano Mamoru yet again doing "Miyano 'Princely Ikemen' Mamoru" instead of acting (standing out like a sore thumb from the otherwise excellent voice acting)
This isn't the answer I was necessarily looking for in the comments, but dammit. if there's one thing I always wonder about when I see him in the cast list... I feel old remembering the days when he would actually act. These movies are at least good for a quick dose of Hayamin, I hope?

Right? I'm also really wary when I see him cast in anything, because... yeah. He used to be so good... :/ But yes, Hayami is good, in fact most of the other cast does a great job, Seto Asami and Kaji Yuuki are especially great as Tamaki and Ranmaru... in what remains of their roles, anyway. I'd love to hear them in a proper adaptation (especially the Ranmaru side story where he needs to deal with his future brother-in-law who is a Macho Manly Man, it's hilarious and really cute).
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:16 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
So does the 2nd movie have an English dub?

Sadly, no. It never even got released on Blu-Ray, either, which is a shame because it feels weird to dub the first movie and not the second. I guess the first one didn't make enough money to justify dubbing it.
nyaa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:50 am Reply with quote
Why was the 1st movie released here with a really good english dub and the 2nd one not-only way I could watch it was downloading it with dodgy english subs? Other than that I really like the ambience of both movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2