• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Storyboard Artist/Animation Director William Ruzicka Passes Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Rest in Peace
DiscordMod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:23 pm Reply with quote
May he rest in peace
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm very sorry to hear this. Do we know how old he was? Based only on the photo from GoFundMe, he looked awfully young.

Rest in Peace!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:32 pm Reply with quote
rest in peace
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
passed out as he was getting into his car to take himself to urgent care
I'm really curious about this part. I'm guessing he couldn't afford an ambulance or didn't think it was that bad? Either way RIP. You didn't deserve this Ruzicka...
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:45 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P.

Looking through his imdb, I can see he directed one of my favorite Invincible episodes
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:50 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Quote:
I'm really curious about this part. I'm guessing he couldn't afford an ambulance or didn't think it was that bad? Either way RIP. You didn't deserve this Ruzicka...

Yeah, that bit seemed especially tragic to me. It sounds like he had to drive even though that's very dangerous, and I assume that's because ambulances are super expensive in America? Probably the insurance and ambulance costs would've hit him hard so he felt he had no choice but to go himself. Also, maybe ambulances aren't especially reliable, not sure.
All in all, really sad, I wish he'd been able to get there sooner, maybe that could've changed things.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:35 pm Reply with quote
RIP William Ruzicka.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:04 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, that bit seemed especially tragic to me. It sounds like he had to drive even though that's very dangerous, and I assume that's because ambulances are super expensive in America? Probably the insurance and ambulance costs would've hit him hard so he felt he had no choice but to go himself. Also, maybe ambulances aren't especially reliable, not sure.
All in all, really sad, I wish he'd been able to get there sooner, maybe that could've changed things.

It can be expensive.
That said it's not unheard of for people to walk-in to urgent care. It really depends on how the person is feeling and the degree of the issue. Unfortunately he just had a very tragic end.
JJRonald71

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:46 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Quote:

Ambulances are VERY expensive in America, though it sounds like he needed one. But if he was by himself maybe he didn't think his condition was serious enough to call for one. Sounds like he was by himself because a companion probably would've dialed 911. He was planning to go to an urgent care (did he tell someone this?) when it sounds like he needed to go to a Full Hospital Emergency room where he could be admitted as an in-patient (also extremely expensive in America, sadly). Even if he'd made it to an urgent care they would've more correctly assessed the seriousness of his condition and transferred him to a hospital, probably in an ambulance.

An individual's thought processes aren't always 100% rational in the midst of a medical emergency and there are even feelings of shame and embarrassment that one worries about being seen as overreacting, etc. It's a tragedy all around and a loss to the community of visual arts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1