• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Café Terrace and Its Goddesses (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote

(The) Café Terrace and Its Goddesses (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 9 volumes, by Kōji Seo)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Tezuka Productions

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: ecchi, harem

Plot Summary: When Hayato's grandmother passed, he planned to sell her rundown café on the shore—not realizing that it was also home to five young women who call themselves her family. Their desperation to keep the café open convinces Hayato to give it a shot...but even their best intentions might not be enough to make it work.

Air Date & Platform:
April 7, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Anyone still watching?
I started ep.7 and it felt like a chore. I just can't find anything special about it. It's all formula, and into a couple minutes you know what kind of "we'e family" ending you'll get.

The girl's designs are nice, but there's not much variety.

Anyone want to argue against dropping it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Not me. I dropped it after the first episode. And judging by your post, it seems I made the right decision.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:32 am Reply with quote
Some of the girls also seem a bit nasty. One made a comment about trying to seduce him in order to then make charges and get rid of him, which combined with many other meh things in the first 2 episodes made me say no thanks.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:15 am Reply with quote
In the TalkBack thread about which articles got weekly reviews someone lamented that this didn't make it, saying that it grows into a similar feel to Quint Quints and We Never Learn... So I gave it a shot.
It's certainly what they are going for, but can't even reach the questionable likeability e A Couple of Cuckoos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I've stuck with it...Stockholm Syndrome, or something like it. And it does get better....but given just how much I hated the first few episodes, that is faint praise indeed. I don't think I was supposed to support the "kick them out, sell the building" plan as much as I did, but given the girls' behavior in the initial episodes, its been quite hard to sympathize with most of them.

That has been dialed back a fair amount though, which makes it vaguely watchable. The designs are pleasant and the characters well-defined, if archetypal. You've probably seen this show before, even if you've never heard of the series, and at this point in the run it works out fine enough as something to have on in the background.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I had dropped it quite a few weeks ago, but a friend told me it got a lot better and thus I have now finished the series. It does get better in some regards, while other aspects remain annoying.

I liked Hayato as a character, he is observant and not at all afraid to say or do what is necessary. He also has the ability to reflect and admit past wrongs, which is rare in anime. There is plenty of humor and the Familia members start to feel like a (disfunctional) family after a few episodes. Also welcome are that flashbacks and drama are not at all drawn out, problems are dealth with in a speedy fashion.

As for the aspects that remained annoying...some of the girls began annoying and stayed annoying. Akane, Riho and Ono grew to be fun characters, Meanwhile Ouka is still a mouthy tsundere and ami.... is mentally 6 years old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1