• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Anime Rankings - Best of Summer 2023, Jul 29-Aug 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote
What the...? Are people review bombing Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence for some bizarre reason? It's no masterpiece but it immediately improved on its weak 1st episode and has not been "bad" at all since. It's steadily building on its world and introducing good new characters. In a season where I'm watching shows about genius patisserie magicians and sentient vending machines, it's breath of fresh air.

Are people actually taking its usage of churches and saints seriously? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:44 pm Reply with quote
You think Saint and Pastor is odd, look at the weeklies for Spy Classroom! That jumped 21 places from its lowest rating to its highest. Must've been one helluva episode... Also Sugar Apple, Vending Machine, and Hero Classroom each dropped 12 slots, from their highest rating to their lowest, while Dreaming Boy leaped 12 places from its lowest to its 2nd highest rating. Those seem like some pretty radical swings for that many series in just one week. But this has always been over my head anyway, and that's not going to change, so I'll just sit back and marvel. Very Happy
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Surprised The Duke of Death and His Maid has dropped down as low as # 18. Feels comfortably top-10 to me.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Saint Cecilia is good or anything, but ep 4 dropping that much is certainly bizarre. It gets better as they expand the cast more.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
You think Saint and Pastor is odd, look at the weeklies for Spy Classroom! That jumped 21 places from its lowest rating to its highest. Must've been one helluva episode... Also Sugar Apple, Vending Machine, and Hero Classroom each dropped 12 slots, from their highest rating to their lowest, while Dreaming Boy leaped 12 places from its lowest to its 2nd highest rating. Those seem like some pretty radical swings for that many series in just one week. But this has always been over my head anyway, and that's not going to change, so I'll just sit back and marvel. Very Happy

Of the ones I watch:
Vending Machine went from an episode with an inventive battle and a new character to an episode about kicking out a restaurant chain... a drop is rational.

Hero Classroom spent 5 minutes on a very weak dragon battle and spent the rest of the episode on eating disorder comedy. It would have made sense if that was at the very bottom.

Cecilia and Lawrence introduced a character with an interesting trauma and told a tragic story about how a church let a Saint die because they treated her like a holy relic and refused to treat or even comfort her when she got a human disease. It was a solid good episode... and poked fun at how dense Lawrence is for some kawaii flavor. The only reason I can see for it to be on the bottom is weird misplaced displeasure about mistreating a "Saint" and daring to say a church was the cause. It makes me wonder if these same people will be holding the fairies and demons in the story to the same biblical scrutiny.

I looked at the comments on CR too, could find no real criticism. Lots of "too cute" and one person not liking Hazelita's snap judgement of Lawrence.
It is a mystery.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blazi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the ranking is strange.

Good to see Undead Murder Farce in Top 10.
q_3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Too bad BanG Dream: It's MyGO!!!!! doesn't have enough viewers to make the chart. It's got delicious drama, a wonderfully neurodiverse cast, and a fantastic use of a full concert episode for story and character development.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
Too bad BanG Dream: It's MyGO!!!!! doesn't have enough viewers to make the chart. It's got delicious drama, a wonderfully neurodiverse cast, and a fantastic use of a full concert episode for story and character development.

I have heard how underrated that show is. But man, I've noticed how hard it is to talk about anything Bang Dream related in ANN since not many of its viewers gave the franchise a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1