• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Tiny Senpai (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote

My Tiny Senpai (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 8 volumes by Saisō)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: project No. 9

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: workplace

Plot Summary: When Shinozaki started his new job, he didn’t expect his superior to be so...cute. He struggled to learn the ropes until Katase, his tiny and kind senpai, took him under her wing. But as they grow closer, he hopes her attention might mean something more.

Air Date & Platform:
July 1, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Heh-heh-heh, short people are always amusing. Sorry, shorties, but you are!

Signed,

A 6'6" Dude.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A 6'6" Dude.

To you, wouldn't that make pretty much most people short? You got 7 inches on me!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:47 pm Reply with quote
There's short and then there's short. Let's face it, if you're an adult at 5 feet or less, I'm putting ya in a midget tossing contest. Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I am really conflicted on the first episode of this. Going in I expected a mix of My Senpai is Annoying and The Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague. The show has those cute moments and humor in the office, yet it also goes in hard for the lewd moments, it in facts starts of with some close ups. So what we have are some cute moments that are lesser compared to the two shows I mentioned and lewd moments that do not at all mix with said cute moments. Switching from a cute cat imitation to erotic moaning does not work well.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:59 am Reply with quote
I got through most of the 2nd episode before giving up.
They aren't characters, they're just blank tropes. A mild fetish and a harmless fetishist.
Here we are in the second episode and we're already into the "visiting the sick person in their home" trope. This is not a bad trope, but what makes it good is how the situation usually brings out the characters traits as they react to what's going on. But that doesn't happen here- because they're NOT characters.

The obvious comparison for the show is My Senpai Is Annoying. In which the roles of big/small senpai/kohai are switched and... the earlier show actually contains characters. They aren't the strongest characters ever, but the show uses the same "visiting the sick" trope, with both characters, and both times the situation advances their relationship in small ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that it is all rather bland. The characters have zero depth or unique quirks so far and it is one cliche taking place after another. At this point it feels more like a wish fulfillment anime about how it would be nice if you had a good boss/senior colleague instead of anything romantical. Though given the lewd moments it does seem to want to go for said romance.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:42 am Reply with quote
The latest 2 episode thankfully focused a bit more on the side characters to flesh things out. Because of that it is now less bland and predictable. It is still nothing special though, it is just a fun work anime.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This show really is just bland. When I had to go to the second forum page to find this one, I was kind of shocked, but then you go through the second episode and you get why people dropped this one.

Outside of the okay animation, the characters just aren't interesting and what we get is a just a kinder Uzaki Chan in the workplace scenario of My Senpai is Annoying. It's really forgettable otherwise.

Another case of "we have better versions of this dynamic already and this one ain't doing enough to be compelling or better"
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:44 am Reply with quote
It is also due to a lack of fun character interactions that the show feels very dry. In the newest episode we had some chaos going on with all characters meeting up and the sister being as weird as she is. It is one of the very few moments in the series that things feel lively.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1